xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Here Whats Goin Down...  (Read 681 times)

KingViper

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »

PCI Express is different than PCI.  The MSI does not have a new enough chipset to support PCI Express aka PCI-X or PCI-E.  In the future AGP will be phased out.  Although it may be a while, I have a feeling it would be a good idea to get PCI-X compatible mobo.  They even have a chaintech with the same features as the Gigabyte, just without firewire for about $20-$30 less.

While the MSI is not a bad mobo, why not get the nForce 4 chipset now, instead of later.  It not only has PCI-X but also an upgraded hardware based firewall, and SATA2 which has a maximum of 300mb\s instead of 150 and also supports NCQ.

nightracer352

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

okay my case has a firwire port up front along with 2 usb's i have never used a firewire port before and all that i know is its like a usb port only faster and better

so what about that cheaper one because i want a fast chip the less money i spend on the mobo the more i spend on the cpu and other thing BUT i still want a good board so whats the cheaper one is it any good i mean i have heard good thing bout msi and asus but i haven't heard anything bout these companies

cromat44

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2005, 06:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(nightracer352 @ Jan 4 2005, 04:40 PM)
okay my case has a firwire port up front along with 2 usb's i have never used a firewire port before and all that i know is its like a usb port only faster and better

KingViper

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »

I have never had great experience with Gigabyte boards, but they are more known than Chaintech.  I built a pc for my parents with a Chaintech socket 939, and it works great.  My friend had a Gigabyte, and it was very very bad with memory.

You'd have to find specific reviews of each board to really know, but my guess is the Gigabyte costs more because it has Firewire, which most devices dont support anyhow.  Unless you have an Ipod.

nightracer352

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »

no no ipod

but im wondering what i should do with the firewire port upfront i mean i would like to have it just in case but im not gonna spend extra for it

i dont know i guess its back up to you guys what do you guys think and also do you think the 6600 is enough

yetieater

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »

smile.gif

I'd suggest you go with the MSI K8T Neo2-FIR.  I'd spring for an MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum, which I plan to use with a new computer.  Any other issues that you're puzzled about besides a motherboard?

nightracer352

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »

so you are saying that i should get the platinum what does it have over the FIR god this is getting confusing you all are saying different things

im mainly going right now of of what enderandrew says but he hasn't posted what he thinks in a while

so andrew what should i go with out of all of these i mean which is the best

guys keep in mind im looking something lower in price so i can get a better cpu but i still want a good mobo it doesn't have to be the best but it has to be pretty good max i wanna pay is 125-150 for the mobo

and i guess now i should add i want to be able to hook up my front usb ports and it would be nice to hook up the front firewire but i dont have to have it

enderandrew

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »

Most people won't use firewire.  Do you think you'll purchase a DV camera?

Edit:  Wait, it says both have firewire.  The second board has more better SATA support.  I don't see firewire ports in the back, so it must be front firewire.  But if you can get PCI-E for the same price, go with the second board.

Can you live with one 3 PCI slots?

Instead of having multiple NIC cards on one PC, you can always get a decent router cheap, which I recommend.  The system has 8 channel sound on board, and does anyone really use dial-up models anymore?

nightracer352

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »

wink.gif  rolleyes.gif

but my case has the front port so should i just try and hide the wires coming out of it

and also i looked at the platinum it doesn't look like it has to much over the neo2-f but should i worry about the agp thing i mean im kinda confused im mainly listening to you because you seem to know what you are talking about but its still confusing wacko.gif

cromat44

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(nightracer352 @ Jan 4 2005, 09:03 PM)
probably not wink.gif  rolleyes.gif

nightracer352

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »

well im not really sure about those company's like i would be most likly getting the chaintech since its cheaper but i have heard nothing about them

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2005, 09:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(cromat44 @ Jan 5 2005, 12:52 AM)
don't go with the older motherboards with agp, pci-express is the future....

cromat44

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(67thRaptorBull @ Jan 5 2005, 08:33 AM)
thats not true

nightracer352

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

wink.gif  rolleyes.gif  sad.gif

nightracer352

• Archived User
Here Whats Goin Down...
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2005, 06:32:00 PM »

hey i was just at the asus site and they say they have the only board actually built for the 64 i know some of that is just hype but it made me wonder should i just go blow it all on that board (like 260-270 on newegg) and then have to wait 6 months or more to get my cpu (i doubt i will do that) or what i mean this is confusing all i want is a good board that will work well enough that i can upgrade the graphics card (probably only once or twice max till i get a new board) and other stuff in maybe a year and a half or two years but probably a year atleast before i upgrade and 2 max but at 2 i might be building a new machine
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7