xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pc Or Mac Laptop?/  (Read 204 times)

EvilWays

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »

Or in the case of laptops where you can't just go to any store and use any old part unlike a desktop. Sure you could get memory and a few other items, but how many retail stores stock such things as laptop hard drives or internal dvd drives, or motherboards, etc.?

And that's absolute horseshit that a skilled user has no need for call-center technical support.

KDragon

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

laugh.gif

Toshiba isint bad

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (ridefour15 @ Sep 21 2004, 08:41 PM)
Well it would help if we knew what you used it for.

Schoolwork, business apps...PC.
Heavy amounts of graphics and/or photo editing...Mac.

EDIT:  If you go the way of the PC, things I've been hearing more than a few times are that Dells have awesome screens, Compaqs have crappy screens, eMachines have fan problems but are easily fixed.

I have an eMachines and love it, just my two cents.

There are only three companies that produce screens ( Sony, NEC/Mitsubishi and somebody else that I don't remember ). Everybody that sells screens buys them from those three companies and slaps their name on them.

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (EvilWays @ Sep 24 2004, 01:09 AM)
And that's absolute horseshit that a skilled user has no need for call-center technical support.

LOL spoken like a true un-skilled user.

That’s like saying a Master Mechanic needs to take his car to Jiffy Lube because he needs help.

EvilWays

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (thepissedoffman @ Sep 24 2004, 03:53 AM)
LOL spoken like a true un-skilled user.

That’s like saying a Master Mechanic needs to take his car to Jiffy Lube because he needs help.

Uh, no...it's a resource for users, even skilled users. Skilled users either don't use that resource as much, or have a better handle on the system used by call-centers and can better handle a level-1 help desk.

Dealing with problems/issues on a laptop isn't the same as dealing with problems/issues on a desktop where hardware is concened. Trisman is right, if you're gonna pay extra for warranty, why not take advantage of it when the time comes? With Dell, the only way to get your laptop serviced is by either calling them or using their tech support chat service (which isn't the greatest based on personal experience).

cromat44

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »

yeah.... a "skilled" user would search down the exact mobo (hard for a laptop), buy a replacement in cash and install it themselves....
total cost is atleast $200 and several hours i bet

Now.... an "unskilled" user would call tech support, waste time on the phone, although much less time that searching for that mobo, get a replacement sent to you via priority mail (dell does, my dad bought me a dell... i would rather have built it, but he said no) the next daym at nbo cost to you. and then have a technician come and install it for you.... optional... if you want to go ahead.... but if youd rather just let someone else do it for free, when you could be doing something better... no shame in letting someone else do it. its free
total cost $0 and maybe an hour

and i know some dumbass is gonna call me a noob for what i said...

deathx88

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (gcskate27 @ Sep 21 2004, 03:34 PM)
pc, macs suck balls... i cant stand my graphics art class b/c we have to work on macs... i do all my work at home on my pc, save it as a mac file on a thumbdrive and take it to class...

macs suck...  wink.gif

dude, same here. I'm in a class were we make logos for cds and t-shirts and for some reason he wants the macs. I almost lost it when
1. couldn't find out how and where to put the cd in
2. how to turn the freddy fuc#er on
3. how to right-click, since you can't i found out later you hold the mouse button it
4.how to eject the f-ing cd
5. how to do stuff on it

trust me its NOT worth it

i wouldn't spend 2000k on a laptop either
i almost bought a laptop and i decided to get more for my money and i got a kickass pc for a low price

what not to get
dell
alienware
gateway

i've actually grown attached to the hp's and compaqs lately
beerchug.gif

lebriznon

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 01:40:00 AM »

laugh.gif

i personally wouldnt buy additional warranties, but since you did, might as well make use of it. thats what its for  wink.gif

EvilWays

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2004, 03:28:00 AM »

QUOTE (lebriznon @ Sep 24 2004, 09:43 AM)
lol...this last post reminds me of this  laugh.gif

...bouncing around at the bottom of the screen like a Jack Russell fucking Terrier. rotfl.gif

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 06:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (EvilWays @ Sep 24 2004, 04:15 AM)
Uh, no...it's a resource for users, even skilled users. Skilled users either don't use that resource as much, or have a better handle on the system used by call-centers and can better handle a level-1 help desk.

Dealing with problems/issues on a laptop isn't the same as dealing with problems/issues on a desktop where hardware is concened. Trisman is right, if you're gonna pay extra for warranty, why not take advantage of it when the time comes? With Dell, the only way to get your laptop serviced is by either calling them or using their tech support chat service (which isn't the greatest based on personal experience).

LOL you are trying to change what you said.

Nemt said:

A skilled user has no need for tech support

You said:

That is horse shait ( Which implies that you think a truly skilled PC user needs tech support )

I said:

Basically you’re wrong.

You said:

It is a resource that skilled users have access to ( duh )

A truly skilled PC user (not a novice but a skilled user which is at IT level) can fix almost any fixable problem and can also isolate any non-fixable problem.

You are right in that it is a resource that even skilled PC users have access to just like Social Security and Welfare are resources for Bill Gates. It is there for him but it does not mean he needs it.

If you want to be extremely technical then yes a laptop is not the same as a desktop. But again any skilled user can trouble shot any problem with a laptop and determine the problem thus eliminating the need for a call center resource.

I am not trying to flame you but it is painfully obvious that you don't have the skills necessary to be considered (at least in my eye's and Nemt's eyes) a skilled user because if you did you would not be making this argument.

I consider myself a skilled user and I have not needed any tech support for well over …….. it has been so long I can’t remember. Tech support is a resource designed for non skilled users. If you think that is not the case then think about your logic that would lead you to that conclusion and post it here.

EvilWays

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »

That's taking what I said a tad out of context. I was interpreting nemt's comment to mean that it wasn't needed at all even as a resource. That's what I perceive a call-center to be, even if it isn't used (I only use it since I paid for the warranty, unfortunately) but it's still there to be used.

Even skilled users can't keep up-to-date on every single piece of hardware or software there is, so there is a need for some kind of reference or source of information to be able to solve a problem (or perhaps even diagnose). Now that isn't to say that a skilled user doesn't know their own system, but a desktop and a laptop is apples and oranges. What documentation is out there for a laptop (and it's components) compared to a desktop? Granted, a skilled user can diagnose a PC problem and find out what needs to be done, but as I said before, you can't just walk into a CompUSA/Best Buy/Circuit City/whatever computer hardware store and be able to get just any laptop part, though things like memory and external devices are an exception. If you're lucky, they might be able to order the part(s) needed. For Dell, if you don't use parts purchased from them, they won't help you at all and you are SOL, unlike companies that have their products at CompUSA/Best Buy/Circuit City/etc. where you aren't limited to warranty terms that Dell has.

That point was the intent of my first post, to not get a Dell since you're either stuck with their warranty terms or "being left out in the cold" and having to find your own parts. The main reason I bothered with a warranty from Dell (that had call-center support obviously) was because of the LCD screen, which would be a bitch to replace, at best, otherwise.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly, though, when it comes to desktops. Parts for them are basically "universal" and can be obtained at just about every computer store, not to mention easy to diagnose (easier than a laptop in certain cases).

nemt

• Archived User
Pc Or Mac Laptop?/
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »

beerchug.gif
Pages: 1 [2]