xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Capturing Home Movies For Dvd  (Read 80 times)

jackster

• Archived User
Capturing Home Movies For Dvd
« on: September 19, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »

Hi,
I just brought a dvd-re writer so I thought I might as well put my old video films on a dvd. HOWEVER to my shock and horror, a hour of a family wedding was 1.6gb! and the quality wasn't exactly great! This is probably normal to you guys but I was really surprised. Seeing as I watched a friends back-up copy of pulp fiction and it was only about 700mb and thats about 2hrs long and was dvd quality.

So I've been messing around with some compression techniques but just can't seem to make a good compromise between quality and size. I've render videos to avi, mpeg1 and mpeg2 but there must be something Im doing wrong.

Could someone help please and maybe show me some decent settings or point me in the direction of what I should be using to do this.

Cheers,
jackster

Syrus

• Archived User
Capturing Home Movies For Dvd
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »

It all depends what your source is. If you're grabbing video from a DV camera, it will certainly be more than 1.5gb. I believe you capture at 25megs/sec. From that, you'll have quite a large file (or files) which you can convert to a DVD with different programs and burn it.

Check out programs like Pinnacle Studio.  They're not too expensive, and do the job fairly well.