xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Doom 3  (Read 557 times)

Mr. Blonde

• Archived User
Doom 3
« on: July 28, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »

So I sat down at midnight last night in a darkened room and watched the entire ICONS episodes (From G4) about Doom and what it's meant to the Game industry, blah blah blah. ID software coders are the best blah. blah. But what really blew me away was (besides the awesome renders) was the atmosphere this game has. If you think that games like "The Suffering" or "Slient Hill" were taking horror games to a new level then wait till you see DOOM3. I also liked the idea that the team over at ID had developed the Xbox version alongside the PC game (which seem to be rare) and had really made the Xbox version shine with tons of the same textures and lighting effects.....Now where is that drool smiley when I need it.......

If you want to watch the Preview Episode check it out here

http://d3c.ngz-netwo...oad.php?view.31

ALthough if they reallly expect me to pay 54.99 to pre-order it I think they are crazy. This is one I will buy but the price has to come down some.

Also if you recieve PC GAMER they have an exclusive 5 page review. They gave it a 94% PC Editors Choice.......okay is that enough HYPE for you? LOL

tNCecil

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »

My Radeon 9800 Pro is ready. I think the craziest part of this game is the computer to run it on max settings isnt even out yet ><

mcmikemc

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (tNCecil @ Jul 28 2004, 09:47 PM)
My Radeon 9800 Pro is ready. I think the craziest part of this game is the computer to run it on max settings isnt even out yet ><

I just got done reading an interview with a few of the programers of Doom 3 and they were talking about the ultra setting ( The one above high ) in Doom3. They said that this setting uses no compression for any textures and that the texture memory usage for this setting is around 500mb. The high setting compresses the textures so that they take up around 256mb.

That is crazy man. That means to run the game on Ultra without a dramatic performance hit you will have to have a video card with 512mbs of RAM.

I will be at the normal setting ( 128mbs of texture usage ) with my 9800 pro 128mbs until the updated X800 or 6800 cards come out with 512mbs of RAM, which should be in 6-8 months.

tNCecil

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »

I dont think they are out yet though tongue.gif

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

X800, Athlon 64 3200, 1 gig of memory, and a raptor hdd, im ready..........

o wait, ive never played a single doom game before  unsure.gif

mcmikemc

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »

QUOTE (okandroid @ Jul 28 2004, 11:49 PM)
Someone, I think Alienware, made a system with two video cards, one video card makes half the screen and the other makes the other half. Maybe that could handle it, but it was PCI Express.

I know what your talking about. I have not read up on that very much ( just 10-15 pages ) but this is the same type of thing that 3dFx did back in the day. One card writes half of the screen and the other one writes the other half. The problem is that you still need each card to have the same textures in the memory because of the random input that a user could give ( IE I move my mouse around like a crazy man ).

Like I said I have not read up on this as much as I would like to have but as far as I know the 2 cards do not combine the memory of each card, instead they just split the work needed to render a screen frame.

I heard a rough ball park figure for this PC is going to be around $7000.

Mr. Blonde

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 08:44:00 AM »

Haha yeah I remember playing DOOM II back when I was a sophmore in High School in  1994. I also remember I played a ton of Duke3D.....Ahh the good old days.

Dagoth

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

I remember playing wolfenstien 3d when it first came out, on my 468 dx2 66  laugh.gif

(damn I'm old)  unsure.gif

Duke was cool - probably one of the best 3d shooters of its time - the laser mines & pipebombs were excellent  laugh.gif

I've still got the CD's of Doom 1& 2 in my folder at home  tongue.gif

Quake 1& 2 get an airing from time to time, but only in my PDA  biggrin.gif

I've got my 6800GT - BRING ON DOOM 3  beerchug.gif

xFusioNx

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »

Yeah Doom3 is gonna be sweet.

I have a comment on the SLI card setup though. The SLI technology you are speaking of is the first iteration, the voodoo2 SLI. It produced one half per card. The new PCI Express "SLI" functions similarly, but is not limited by the half screen rendering of the old generation. Instead it's meant to divide the processes between the two, effectively doubling the power of a single card. By dividing the processes as the come to the card, allowing each card to function in tandem, rather than specifying ahead of time, one cards function.

BlackAdam

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 12:21:00 AM »

The Official Doom III [H]ardware Guide

From what I see... there really isn't much noticeable difference between the High and Ultra settings... everything is just simply uncompressed.

I'm pretty much ready to run this game at 1280x1024 - High Quality - 4xAA - 8xAF.

mcmikemc

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (xFusioNx @ Jul 29 2004, 11:46 PM)
Yeah Doom3 is gonna be sweet.

I have a comment on the SLI card setup though. The SLI technology you are speaking of is the first iteration, the voodoo2 SLI. It produced one half per card. The new PCI Express "SLI" functions similarly, but is not limited by the half screen rendering of the old generation. Instead it's meant to divide the processes between the two, effectively doubling the power of a single card. By dividing the processes as the come to the card, allowing each card to function in tandem, rather than specifying ahead of time, one cards function.

It may not be limited to rendering half of the screen but so far that is how Alienware has implemented it. I saw the movie of some gaming guys interviewing the guys from Alienware and they said thatÂ’s how it works. Right after he said that he unplugged one of the video cards ( I am assuming they have some type of Y splitter for the DVI cable ) and BAM half of the screen stopped appearing. The guys at Alienware played the game for a few seconds like that.

BlackAdam

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

Yeah... Alienware's Video-Array sucks though. Each card is set for 50% of the screen... no more and no less, no matter how many things need to be drawn on the bottom or top of the screen. You need an extra card and a crap load of wires between them. While with SLI, one card can draw 99% and one 1% if needed. It changes depending on the load. One little adapter is needed, and nothing else.

mcmikemc

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (BlackAdam @ Jul 31 2004, 04:19 AM)
Yeah... Alienware's Video-Array sucks though. Each card is set for 50% of the screen... no more and no less, no matter how many things need to be drawn on the bottom or top of the screen. You need an extra card and a crap load of wires between them. While with SLI, one card can draw 99% and one 1% if needed. It changes depending on the load. One little adapter is needed, and nothing else.

I have tried to read more on this and keep coming back to the Alienware SLI configuration. If you have any links that talks about the load balancing your talking about I would really like to see them.

Everything I find says nothing at all about the load balancing, just half screen rendering for each of the 2 cards..

darkslider802

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 07:41:00 AM »

So I sat down at midnight last night in a darkened room and watched the entire ICONS episodes (From G4) about Doom and what it's meant to the Game industry, blah blah blah. ID software coders are the best blah. blah. But what really blew me away was (besides the awesome renders) was the atmosphere this game has. If you think that games like "The Suffering" or "Slient Hill" were taking horror games to a new level then wait till you see DOOM3. I also liked the idea that the team over at ID had developed the Xbox version alongside the PC game (which seem to be rare) and had really made the Xbox version shine with tons of the same textures and lighting effects.....Now where is that drool smiley when I need it.......

yeah me to ,but its was daytime , i was like oh shittttttttttttttt!!!!!! ,i said wish it coem out for xbox then it said ,coming to xbox i was like oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!!! again them my mom called i was like mom i wasing a show i call you back ,this couldnt wait , i i watched the show till the end,and i was like man im gonna make a thread on xboxscene,then i siad naw somebody probley already have one ,now i found it hahahahah ,dam this game is gonna be good a must get or must play

mcmikemc

• Archived User
Doom 3
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 08:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (darkslider802 @ Jul 31 2004, 03:44 PM)

yeah me to ,but its was daytime , i was like oh shittttttttttttttt!!!!!! ,i said wish it coem out for xbox then it said ,coming to xbox i was like oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!!! again them my mom called i was like mom i wasing a show i call you back ,this couldnt wait , i i watched the show till the end,and i was like man im gonna make a thread on xboxscene,then i siad naw somebody probley already have one ,now i found it hahahahah ,dam this game is gonna be good a must get or must play

WOW ???

My brain hurts after reading that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4