xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Need Opinions On The Wd Raptor Hard Drives  (Read 141 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Need Opinions On The Wd Raptor Hard Drives
« on: June 19, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

ok, im going to be getting 2 of these hard drives and i know 10,000 rpm is fast, but

1) how loud are they?? should i get some sort of hdd dampening system?

2) because of there speed, should i get a hdd fan cooler of some sort?

3) with two of these in a RAID 0 array, how fast will stuff off the hdd be??

4) with two of these, the total space would be about 83 gigs, but after i install windows and format them, how much overall space would be left (roughly)??

thanks

lebriznon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »

dry.gif ) and heat isnt a big deal for me. i just keep the pc well-ventilated with plenty of case fans. havent had any problems in the last 3 years.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »

hey, thanks

but do you notice any extreme vibrations coming from the case, or any thing associated with a hard drive like that ?

KingViper

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »

Hey man,
I noticed you ask alot of questions about computer hardware, and while that is in no way a bad thing, I think you might be interested in a subscription to MaximumPC.  Ever since I started getting that magazine I have been on top of all the latest hardware.  Ok, to answer some questions.

1.  32db idle, 36db seek

2.  During intensive use, the drives can reach over 100F, so active cooling is recommended.

3.  Benchmarks
Sorry most of the tests are 74gb raptors, but the beginning has some standard raptor tests.  May check out www.anandtech.com for some other benches.

4.  Approx 8% of a drive is unavailable after a format.  So, 2 36.7gb drives would yield about 68gb after format, and an installation is roughly 2-3gb.  So i would say 65gb available.

Good Luck

KingViper

Dagoth

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »

65gb... With todays "bloatware" that will last you about a week, before you'll be needing another drive

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 10:54:00 AM »

nah dagoth, so far theres only 3 pc games (call of duty, Batllefield 1942 (deciding with expansion pack to use) and Halo pc)
and i only use a few apps, such as AIM, IE and various others that are under 300 mb's

i knew buying these that they wouldnt have much room, but i dont mind, on my current computer, id only be using 10 gigs out of the 98 available if my bro wasnt so into burning dvd's

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »

also, king viper, is there any good way of reducing that noise, or is it all the whine of the rpms and not the vibrations of the drive itself?

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 11:45:00 AM »

well why are buying these premium drives if you are only going to playing 3 (2 moderatly demanding, and 1 poorly ported) games?

i picked up a couple of seagate 120gb satas for 70 bucks, performance is fine, and i'm running low on space, even though i have a 200gb ide too...

when it comes to harddrive speed, you cant tell the diff, except in a few situations (maybe installation, and loading levels in some games (ut2k4 anyone?))

it just wont be worth the money for such denky drives...

your money any was

ps dont come to me crying "i gots no monehs!"

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »

nah, i already bought em, and i have the money as i just phased out some expensive fan controllers, and found good deals on ethernet cable on ebay

and for what i want, these will be fast (yes, i will be getting some more games in the near future) and theyll be in a SATA raid array

but how can i reduce the noise?

and if ur talking about Halo PC, its a good game to fuck around with with the new CE and HEK, but skill wise everyone is a n00b still

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 01:36:00 PM »

well what iw as saying is  halo pc sucks in terms of graphics

lets say i have halo pc and farcry (this game sucks after first few levels, sorry!)

halo pc at ~60 fps looks ok
while farcray at ~60 fps looks great, much better the halo!

note: both games i have set fps cap to 72

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »

haha, well currently im running Halo pc on a 1.7 ghz (200mhz FSB) intel pentium 4, with a nvidia 64mb mx 400 (or some crap like that) and 512mb of ram

with my new comp itll be 2.2 ghz (400mghz FSB) athlon xp 3200, ati hercules 9800 pro 128mb, 1,024 dual channel ram

and the kicker is, with my first comp, the graphics are aswome, (im using a flat screen crt monitor), i mean the only lag i get is online, the picture is good though, so on my new comp, i dont think ill be noticing anything

anyways, is there any way to reduce the noise of the hdd?

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 03:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (Chicken Scratch Boy @ Jun 21 2004, 05:24 PM)
a really dumb way here

hmmm, so dust particles can kill a hard drive, but smothering grease and ur fingers all over the platters wont?

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

anyways, i just remembered the case im getting has two 80mm fan holes in the front, right in front of the hdd's, so ill have em blow on the hdds (i have another 2 80mm fans blowing out, plus a 120mm fan blowing out)

so i guess cooling isnt needed then, and the vibrations, ill just see how it goes

OpEnUpYoUrEyE

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 08:40:00 PM »

wink.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3