xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Virtual Memory Problem  (Read 27 times)

skeen

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« on: June 18, 2004, 07:19:00 AM »

If you run out of virtual memory by default XP should automatically increase it for you. But you may also have it set to custom with a max amount of RAM set in which case I’m not sure it will still do this. So first I would check that.  Right click on My Computer, go to Properties, Advanced tab, settings button for performance, Advanced Tab again, then finally the change button for VM.
So by default this would be set to System Managed size. When it’s set to this, XP will create a pagefile which is your VM.  The only disadvantage to this is if you use all of it up, XP will have to increase the file size and therefore it will cause your system to lag. But even then it should rarely have to do this unless you’re always running allot of stuff.  
Now if you see that it is set on custom just increase the size. Or if you’re not comfortable with that just set it to System Managed size.
As far as your network goes, I don’t see any reason why it should be exhausting your RAM anymore than all the other things you have running.  You may just need to reboot to free up some RAM that has been used and not recoverable.  There’s also a program I use called memturbo that will do this for you without having to reboot.
Besides all of this, if you find yourself constantly running out of VM that means your using allot of it.  And if you are you’ll notice a huge overall performance increase by adding more physical ram.  When a system runs out of physical RAM and has to start using VM it will start crawling no matter how fast the CPU is.
Sorry that ended up being so long winded.  Hopefully it made sense.

nemt

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »

Ram * 1.5 = Minimum Page File
Ram * 1.5 = Maximum Page File

Should solve all problems, never let Windows handle it for you.

EgoX

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

Setting a max value isn't always a good idea as their are far too many games out there that assume pagefile is managed by Windows & don't bother releasing memory, the result of this is they innevitably crash.

Another point is did MS pull that figure out of a hat?

Logically PageFile would be total memory usage(physical+page) - physical = pagefile.

I mean taking it to the extreme conclusion if you had 4gb memory would you really need a 6gb pagefile?

nemt

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

I guess you're right, and every windows tweaking guide put online since 1998 has been wrong.

EgoX

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

Actually would you like a list of things i have read over the years on tweak sites that are wrong?

QOS anyone?

Don't take everyting personally dude, this is a forum, a place for voicing opinions, so you don't agree, that's cool but at least have the courtesy to say why, otherwise people just get the impression your flamin.

nemt

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »

It's not a place for your inane, misinformed conjecture.  "OMG WHAT IF SOMEONE HAS A BILLION BAZILLION RAM DO THEY STILL NEED A PAGE FILE UR STUPID" isn't helping anyone.

Your advice is worthless, and has never been helpful.

EgoX

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »

1.5 * is just a ball park figure MS threw out because asking them how large pagefile should be is like asking how longs is a piece of string.

different users/comps have different needs.

Your intellectual reply only shows ur way outa ur depth as usual.

my last debate(lol) with you my friend, the last say is yours.

nemt

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »

1.5 isn't a number invented by MS, it's a figure used by all tweakers since Virtual Memory was introduced.  You don't know what you're talking about, ever, and need to stop "helping" the people here.

EgoX

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

explain the logic behind the 1.5 figure?

browndanielusn

• Archived User
Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »

wink.gif

If that didn't help, pm me I could run you through a lot of other possible solutions, it could be a lot of things...