xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Longhorn! Os  (Read 544 times)

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (Rylinkus @ May 8 2004, 07:59 AM)
Agreed. Hell will freeze over before I pay a monthly fee to use an MS product

I third that movement. What's so sad is that it may even be the downfall of Windows- those Lindows computers are becoming increasingly common, and the more people who buy them, the farther along Windows emulation goes (as the company that makes those Lindows computers also contributes source code changes to various OS emulators and VMs). It's not going to be too long before they got it perfected, and I'm sure that people would much rather spend $50 on an OS licence one time than, say, $10 a month, especially when the prior OS is much more stable and secure.

duudfromnorway

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »

EYYH! Will you guys put a sock in it!!! I can hear you across the ocean....
For all we know, the great Bill Gates could be running Linux right now...
Anyway, which OS is the best si a matter of taste and pleasure! EOD

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2004, 05:53:00 AM »

laugh.gif

nemt

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

I'm not saying Me is a great OS, but there's nothing I didn't like about it which I also didn't like in 98SE.  Then again, Me wasn't targetting to the right consumers, as it is less user friendly, and power users already had NT/2000.

thomes08

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2004, 12:31:00 AM »

they won't charge a monthly service... i mean they can but they'll lose sooo many people.  They won't do it, it makes no sense, none.

thomes08

Yuyu

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »

cool.gif

Oh and on-topic.. The operating system in question should be the one MS made a statement on, which will basically be XP 64, made for 64 bit processors...

Oh and how funny the day would be, watching the general public try to use Linux  laugh.gif  OMG I can see riots forming in cubicles everywhere... Monitors will be big businesss then also, buy stock now in all monitor companies, because people will be bashing thier heads, other's heads, and their fists through them every 5 minutes, in rage at their own stupidity...

yaazz

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

What is this future file system that longhorn is to use all about?

nemt

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (yaazz @ May 19 2004, 04:25 PM)

I'm pretty sure it was scrapped.

I don't see any need to replace NTFS just yet, anyway.

M-K-E!

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2004, 01:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (yaazz @ May 19 2004, 09:25 PM)

fatx

they were just beta testing it on the xbox.......... wink.gif

chefelf

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (nemt @ May 19 2004, 05:22 PM)
I'm pretty sure it was scrapped.

I don't see any need to replace NTFS just yet, anyway.

It has been scrapped and it's a damn shame too because that was the thing I was looking forward to the most with Longhorn.  It's an idea whose time has come, something that should have been implemented ages ago.

KingViper

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

Actually, I dont believe they scrapped the entire WinFS file system, only some of it.  Read this article and it explains more.

http://blogs.msdn.co.../13/112822.aspx

I installed Longhorn build 4074 and it installed nice and smooth, but driver support wasn't there so I couldn't completly test it out with my computer.  It was fairly cool "looking" from what I messed with it, but thats about it.  There were some small changes here and there but nothing that really stood out.  

I just use Windows Server 2003.  Its got everything XP has and runs MUCH faster than XP.  It also has lots of little tools that although I may never use, XP doesn't come with.

KingViper

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (Yuyu @ May 19 2004, 02:41 AM)
Oh and on-topic.. The operating system in question should be the one MS made a statement on, which will basically be XP 64, made for 64 bit processors...

Oh and how funny the day would be, watching the general public try to use Linux  laugh.gif  OMG I can see riots forming in cubicles everywhere... Monitors will be big businesss then also, buy stock now in all monitor companies, because people will be bashing thier heads, other's heads, and their fists through them every 5 minutes, in rage at their own stupidity...

On the first point... they already have a 64-bit version of Windows (it's mentioned in the help files for Windows XP). However, it's also mentioned that it isn't very compatable with 32-bit programs, which makes the operating system useless to all but those with the specific 64-bit software or developers (who can make their own 64-bit software).

I take it you've never heard of Lindows? And I know plenty of computer-illiterate folk who use Mandrake Linux that never have problems using it.
Linux isn't just the command-line anymore. X-Windows is starting to get pretty mature, as is Wine. Even in the odd chance that Linux doesn't become friendly within about 5 years, there is a small (but dedicated) movement for an OS called ReactOS, which has a specific goal to be able to use Windows drivers and programs natively. While not expicitly stated, it's also going to have native Linux support.
I'm not saying MS products are bad, or that they're the devil, but they're exploiting consumers, and they're starting to catch on. Windows isn't the only cow in the pasture, you know.

darth_jarret

• Recovered User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2004, 05:24:00 AM »

ohmy.gif

Btw: anyone heard of BEOS that shit is fucking sweet. wink.gif

duudfromnorway

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »

laugh.gif  Guess that`s all i can afford  wink.gif
does anybody know which graphic card that would handle aero glass? state of the art card!! duhh... must i be a millionaire??  anyway,,,they aren`t that expensive!

Yuyu

• Archived User
Longhorn! Os
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2004, 07:27:00 AM »

linux sucks,,,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4