xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What Flavor Of Linux  (Read 298 times)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »

Got free BSD runnnig, but my mouse settings are frigged up. So I suppose that's the next thing to deal with.

nemt

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 04:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (Rylinkus @ May 1 2004, 02:13 AM)
Got free BSD runnnig, but my mouse settings are frigged up. So I suppose that's the next thing to deal with.

Well, you probably have a MS mouse!  Look for default drivers somewhere.  I'm sure you'll end up liking FreeBSD much more than Linux, I do.

One of the main reasons I dislike non-ms operating systems for casual use is the inability to use my mousewheel  ph34r.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »

dry.gif

nemt

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2004, 08:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (Rylinkus @ May 1 2004, 11:40 AM)
It's a laptop. So no wheel.

The funny thing is I tested the mouse daemon and was cool, but once I finished install it booted into KDE and nada...... dry.gif

Tha'ts weak, try a FreeBSD support forum, I'm sure there's plenty.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (nemt @ May 1 2004, 05:22 PM)
Tha'ts weak, try a FreeBSD support forum, I'm sure there's plenty.

Hey, got it working with a PS/2 mouse. If the mouse is hooked up both the touchpad and the mouse work. If not, I have no mouse controls. MUST be hooked up when booting. Cannot be unplugged.  dry.gif

Nemt, just out of curiosity, why do you prefer FreeBSD to linux?

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (nemt @ May 1 2004, 06:48 AM)
Well, you probably have a MS mouse!  Look for default drivers somewhere.  I'm sure you'll end up liking FreeBSD much more than Linux, I do.

One of the main reasons I dislike non-ms operating systems for casual use is the inability to use my mousewheel  ph34r.gif

Gee, sounds like user error.  My mouse wheel has worked on 5 different distros with no interaction required.  The times I've seen it not work on other PCs, it takes 1 line in the XF86Config file to fix that.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »

*scratches head*
Linux is a bane? Since when? It's worked on by more people at a more frequent rate than any other OS on the planet, most distros can run on virtually any computer that you put in front of it, and there's even a few corporations that contribute to its source tree (Redhat does so, and Lindows does in an indirect way through contributing to Wine). So please, tell me, how is it that Linux users are leeches on e-society? I find that they're more helpful than Windows users, and not so seriously pompous, at that.

nemt

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 04:31:00 AM »

Because open source code, when widely used, is going to be the downfall of all software.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (nemt @ May 18 2004, 01:31 PM)
Because open source code, when widely used, is going to be the downfall of all software.

That's a very vague statement. Care to ellaborate?

On a side note, my laptop is back to Slackware. It's happier now.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (Rylinkus @ May 18 2004, 05:07 PM)
That's a very vague statement. Care to ellaborate?

On a side note, my laptop is back to Slackware. It's happier now.

Slackware is the fucking shit. It's my distro of choice. smile.gif
I'd also like to know why open source is the downfall of software. If anything, it furthers it, because the same damn wheels need not be reinvented.

nemt

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 03:25:00 AM »

If everyone is using their own little OS, and everyone can view generalized code which applies to a vast amount of users, not only will compatability be an even bigger issue, but so will security.  The only reason Linux isn't plagued with security issues like Windows is, is because of the smaller community, in addition to most crackers being losers who think using Linux makes them cool.  Opensource is a fine idea for small sourceforge style projects, but it was never intended for an OS.  We have Windows for various types of users, UNIX or Solaris for servers/workstations, and Mac for idiots, we don't need any others, especially open source.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 08:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (nemt @ May 21 2004, 12:25 PM)
If everyone is using their own little OS, and everyone can view generalized code which applies to a vast amount of users, not only will compatability be an even bigger issue, but so will security.  The only reason Linux isn't plagued with security issues like Windows is, is because of the smaller community, in addition to most crackers being losers who think using Linux makes them cool.  Opensource is a fine idea for small sourceforge style projects, but it was never intended for an OS.  We have Windows for various types of users, UNIX or Solaris for servers/workstations, and Mac for idiots, we don't need any others, especially open source.

I see your point to a limited degree. If that became a problem, you could just build your kernel with encryption all around (for swap space, filesystem, network, etc). No amount of sourcecode is going to make your computer powerful enough to crack RSA 1024-bit encryption, for example.
There have been a few reported security holes in the past, but the exploit/hole/whatever gets patched so quickly that the window of usage is down to weeks, as compared to months (as it is with Windows).
I still fail to see why opensource is fatally flawed. Besides, I was looking up your FreeBSD, and that is opensource too. (Quote from FreeBSD.com:)

While you might expect an operating system with these features to sell for a high price, FreeBSD is available free of charge and comes with full source code. If you would like to try it out, more information is available.

So, tell me, how is FreeBSD any better than Linux with your logic? I'm starting to believe that vicious piece of gossip going around that you're a moron that doesn't post any substantial facts to back your claims.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »

Still would like to hear that explaination, Nemt.

nemt

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 03:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ May 25 2004, 10:17 PM)
Still would like to hear that explaination, Nemt.

I never said I believed in FreeBSD philosophically more than Linux, I just think it's a superior operating system

As for me being a moron:

user posted image

Yuyu

• Archived User
What Flavor Of Linux
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »

laugh.gif

And why did you call him a moron Large Dopant White? Thought it was a pretty good argument until name calling came into play...

That'd be like me adding this comment to my post for no reason which I will:

Large Dopant White, I have found in studies, penile enlargement surgery will fix your problem  wink.gif

See what place did that have in this thread at all, none...

Pages: 1 [2] 3