xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Use Network Card For 2 Things?  (Read 89 times)

t0ken

• Archived User
Use Network Card For 2 Things?
« on: January 30, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »

You are going to have to change the settings each and everytime you do it unless you are using a static ip address when you are hooked up to the router. But chances are you are using DHCP which is automatically grabbing the ip address for you.

J_Man61

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:19:00 AM »

yeah but say you set it up so the router is 198.162.1.1 and then have the dhcp give ip addresses 198.162.1.* (*= #2-#25). won't it work.

XeroKitsune

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »

My first question is, is that a standard SOHO router your pluged into? If so you will need a cross cable to connect to the XBox, since the connection from a standard PC to a SOHO router is normaly a straight cable.
Second question, what os are you using? If it's a nt based operating system you can normaly assign a alternate ip address to it. In XP is from the TCP/IP properties Alternate Configuration tab. That way you can leave the nic on DHCP as well as haveing the static ip address for the XBox.
Third question, if you have a nice SOHO router then why not connect the XBox directly into it with the laptop? That way you would not need to bother with any pluging and unpluging to work with your XBox.

XeroKitsune

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »

I know there is netsh.exe, thats part of WinXP and Win2k that I use in batch.
I use it to swap my laptop's IP as well as some of my coworkers laptops to change settings between a few onsite locations.

Was there another application for the other flavors of Windows error21?

XeroKitsune

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 07:49:00 PM »

It can share it, but it will not limit the speed. If you have four ports and only one item is accessing the internet and there is light traffic aside from that you should notice little to no speed decrease.
If you plug your XBox into the router <Using a straight cable not cross>, then you can eather turn it to DHCP <many dashes show the IP> or manualy set the XBox's IP to match the router's network.
At that point you would have your computer on the network <connected to the router> and the IP address of the XBox. You change nothing except your ftp client to the IP of the XBox.