xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Replacing The Processor  (Read 466 times)

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« on: December 31, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »

well i want to put in a faster processor in my computer. it will go into the spot where a lever can lift. do i get just the processor or a chipset. it will use pins to go in. also does anyone know how tell what kind and model number mother board you have.

DermicSavage

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 03:02:00 PM »

it depends on the processor

u said in ur other post u r running an 800 mhz, but of wat kind?

pentium 3, celeron, athlon, duron?

but ti also depends on your mobo, as the mobo is only designed to go so high

since i dont know i may as well suggest you go buy a whoel new mobo and processor, either a pentium 4 or AMD XP based on your budget(and you may have to get new ram too, assuming u currently use SD RAM, as these new boards use DDR)

if youre lookin for a cheap deal, i would suggest u go with amd, but only up to a 2400+, the bartons are rather pricey and dont perform as well compared to pentium 4s with HT

if you can afford it, buy a P4 with HT(make sure it is HT, as that makes a a fair difference in performance), the lowest P4 with HT i belive is 2.4 ghz, but i cannot confirm this atm

_SCaRfaCe

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 03:09:00 PM »

personally (and this is only an opinion), i say u look into getting an amd athlon xp (thoroughbred or barton).  the pricing is way better than the p4 and also perform better on most benchmarks.  don't believe goto www.anandtech.com or tom's hardware.  i got a p4 2.4ghz and an amd athlon xp 2600 (2.09 ghz).... the amd is faster.  and no i don't hate intel.

peace

DermicSavage

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (_SCaRfaCe @ Dec 31 2003, 05:09 PM)
personally (and this is only an opinion), i say u look into getting an amd athlon xp (thoroughbred or barton).  the pricing is way better than the p4 and also perform better on most benchmarks.  don't believe goto www.anandtech.com or tom's hardware.  i got a p4 2.4ghz and an amd athlon xp 2600 (2.09 ghz).... the amd is faster.  and no i don't hate intel.

peace

well of course that amd will out perform, as it was meant to compete with a p4 2.6, but also if you look at the comparisiosn with the HT P4s, the P4 out performs the AMD at that level

it is a logn annoying process, and no matter what it is gunan cost a fair bit of $bling$

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 07:17:00 PM »

well i have a biostar mobo the model number is M6VLB-ADAXB Ver. 2.1 right now i have a celeron processor. i bought the computer of ebay new by a small company that assembles them. it has a 370 pin socket.

DermicSavage

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 07:25:00 PM »

your mobo has no agp, so i would say u need a new mobo

if you have a price range, i will look up some items that you may make use of(also you will prolly have to buy new ram as well)

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 07:48:00 PM »

yeah im going to get a intel board with the pentium 4 alond with 512 mb or ddr ramm. and a nvidia v5200 i think is what it is called. what is a chipset and do i have to get one when  i get my processor

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 08:48:00 PM »

ok so i narrowed it down. can someone tell me if this processor will work with this board mobo processor

DermicSavage

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 09:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (J_Man61 @ Dec 31 2003, 10:48 PM)
ok so i narrowed it down. can someone tell me if this processor will work with this board mobo processor

yes it will work, but i highly suggest you get a 800 mhz fsb processor, so you can take advantage of HT, otherwise it would be cheaper to get an AMD

also that is a micro atx form factor on the mobo, which is designed for very small cases, it woul dprolly fit in your case, but you will be able to get better stuff for the same price if u get a standard atx mobo

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »

ok but i still don't know what a chipset is

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 07:38:00 AM »

ok so say i get a mobo and a processor. do i have to also get a chipset

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2004, 07:58:00 AM »

oh ok. one more question. on the mobo the one that i want to get it has a intel intergrated graphics 2. i will be upgrading to a radian. but does the intel graphics card support hardware transform and lighting.

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »

also will 400 watts be enough. i will only have 2 cd/dvd-rw drive and a floppy installed with a better video card

DermicSavage

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »

lol integrated graphics doesnt support shit you need a vid card, and im tellin ya u need to choose a diff mobo cause that one is a waste of money, youre spending a lot of cash to get a smaller mobo and less features, you can get one that si a standard size with a lot more features, as well as better performance

and a 400 watt power supply is kinda overkill for just 2 cd drives, and a hard drive, i would suggest a 300 watt

J_Man61

• Archived User
Replacing The Processor
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 11:08:00 AM »

well then what vabout this mobo new mobo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4