• Archived User
Hubs
« on: December 03, 2003, 04:43:00 PM »

wink.gif  beerchug.gif

Rebel-Soul

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »

ya i saw these fricken small usb one but im lookin fur one with RJ45s (ethernet)

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 05:13:00 PM »

net gear little blue metal box, owns

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »

Why a hub, tho? Switches are faster and cost about the same nowadays. That, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a hub that's anything but 4 ports.
In case you're wondering why, a hub splits the maximum bandwidth up by how many connections it has. So, if you have a 100MBit connection running through all the lines hooked to the hub, and there were two connections, you'd actually only get 50MBits (Max bandwidth divided by the amount of connections, or in this case, 100/2=50). That's why you won't see more than 4 ports on an ethernet hub- 100MBits divided by 4 is a crawling 25MBits. Any slower, and you're dealing with 10BaseTx, which is only 10MBits a second.
EDIT: Oh, yes, let me clear up a possible confusion- I suggest switches over hubs because they don't split the bandwidth. You get the maximum bandwidth across all connections, regardless of how many there are. A 5-port switch goes as fast as a 100-port switch.

Rebel-Soul

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ Dec 4 2003, 03:17 AM)
Why a hub, tho? Switches are faster and cost about the same nowadays. That, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a hub that's anything but 4 ports.
In case you're wondering why, a hub splits the maximum bandwidth up by how many connections it has. So, if you have a 100MBit connection running through all the lines hooked to the hub, and there were two connections, you'd actually only get 50MBits (Max bandwidth divided by the amount of connections, or in this case, 100/2=50). That's why you won't see more than 4 ports on an ethernet hub- 100MBits divided by 4 is a crawling 25MBits. Any slower, and you're dealing with 10BaseTx, which is only 10MBits a second.
EDIT: Oh, yes, let me clear up a possible confusion- I suggest switches over hubs because they don't split the bandwidth. You get the maximum bandwidth across all connections, regardless of how many there are. A 5-port switch goes as fast as a 100-port switch.

i kno how a hub works and a switch... thnx for the concern tho. im jus using it to set up a lan and i was thinkin of making a built in hub for my xbox speed is not my concern. all i really want is 4 ports. BTW i have an associates degree in networkin i was lookin for a hub specifically thnx neways wink.gif

yanke10

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »

to my knowledge nodes using hubs or switches get the same bandwidth, however hubs forwad to every port, which creates a big collision domain.  switchs split the collision domains up

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 05:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (Rebel-Soul @ Dec 4 2003, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ Dec 4 2003, 03:17 AM)

i kno how a hub works and a switch... thnx for the concern tho. im jus using it to set up a lan and i was thinkin of making a built in hub for my xbox speed is not my concern. all i really want is 4 ports. BTW i have an associates degree in networkin i was lookin for a hub specifically thnx neways wink.gif

I didn't mean to belittle you or anything. It's just not a commonly known thing among the "masses", and alot of people pick up hubs thinking that hubs and switches are the same thing. I just thought writing the explaination now instead of waiting for the hypothetical "Why?" part was more convienient on my part.
Sorry again if it sounds like I was calling you stupid or whatever, but in any given situation, you have to walk in assuming that the people you converse with have little to no knowlege of what you speak of. Otherwise, you'll tend to confuse people, which is not my goal in any way.

sk8ermike6789

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »

ohmy.gif

but its not a router so.... its gay dry.gif

Alpha-Omega

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 08:30:00 AM »

Check Newegg, they have a pretty good selection of networking gear, and they have really good prices, and their shipping rocks.

sith

• Archived User
Hubs
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 08:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (yanke10 @ Dec 4 2003, 03:45 AM)
to my knowledge nodes using hubs or switches get the same bandwidth, however hubs forwad to every port, which creates a big collision domain.  switchs split the collision domains up

i think what he is trying to say is true, and is, the big difference is a switch wil let computer a "talk" to comp b, while comp c talks to d, in a hub, comp a would have to wait until c and d finish before talking to b... not exactly lower bandwidth..but slower anyway.

.sith.