xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amd Or Celeron ?  (Read 242 times)

Spency234

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« on: November 26, 2003, 05:41:00 PM »

I would pick AMD

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with the fan that the CPU came with and it is fine.

tareqsattar

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »

theres like a 400 mhz difference between the chips

i.stole.this.name

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 09:46:00 PM »

id go for the AMD cuz with the increased L2 Cache it can complete double the operations or more in the same time (P.S. i have a 2800+ with STOCK heatsink @ 3200+ no issues with overheating)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »

DEFINITELY go for the AMD.  Celerons can't do shit when it comes to multi-tasking.  A pentium 3 or 4 would be preferrable if you could afford one though. wink.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 01:18:00 AM »

What the hell is wrong with you, have you ever tried carrying out more than one function at a time with a Celeron processor?  I agree that I would definitely pick a Pentium 3 or Pentium 4 processor over an AMD HOWEVER, the Celeron from Intel is definitely worse than any late model AMD setup.  So if the guy is choosing strictly between an AMD and a Celeron then the AMD is the smarter choice.

GameGuru

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (satan666 @ Nov 27 2003, 03:55 AM)
What the fuck is it with you guys,AMD,Fuck me,AMD's are for people that do not know any better

Talk about ignorance.

Squirrel_ESS_GEN

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 10:42:00 AM »

AMD, any chip that intel makes, amd makes a better/cheaper one.

GameGuru

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 10:50:00 AM »

AMD has always been more efficient, they just make better chips.  Compare the 2.2GHz FX-51 to the 3.2GHz Intel P4, they are so close that in some benchmarks AMD edges out Intel and in some Intel edges out AMD.  Neither blow each other away until you realize ... the AMD is clocked 1GHz slower!!  I will take a more efficient chip anyday.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 11:00:00 AM »

Yeah, try surfing the net, D/L MP3s and listening to music at the same time with a Celeron.  Surfing is slower, music skips, ect.  Do it on any other setup and you will be just fine.

ADAWG69

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 11:55:00 AM »

definitely AMD. In all the comparisons I have read AMD has fared better than anything else.

lebriznon

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 02:07:00 PM »

AMD Athlons are intel's pentium equivalent--higher end
AMD Durons are intel's celeron equivalent--lower end

so go with the athlon

tareqsattar

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »

i think amd has more cache and many people overclock the hell out of it, either way take a look at this link..

http://www.tomshardw...omparison_table

pedro

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 03:47:00 AM »

AMD chips have a shorter pathway for the information to travel through.  (I dont really know exactly what that means, I just read it on a site comparing the two chips) I think Ive read that amds pathway is lke half that of an intel chip which makes it seem faster because the processor has less shit to go through.

GameGuru

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 05:25:00 AM »

QUOTE (bigshooter13 @ Nov 27 2003, 10:44 PM)
I have a question for all of you diehard AMD fans. I, myself, have not used an AMD processor so that is why I am asking.

How do you guys come about saying that a 2.1GHz AMD processor is faster than a P4 3.2? The AMD's only have a 400MHz FSB while the P4's run 800Mhz FSB.  I just don't understand at all how you guys figure that an AMD chip with roughly half the power of another chip can be faster? Have you physically taken two different machines with two different chips and set them by each other and ran different programs? I'm just curious to hear thoughts on this because the way I see it, it is against the laws of physics for a chip with 400MHz FSB to be faster than an 800MHz FSB chip with an entire 1GHz of faster processing power.

I'm looking at building a P4 2.8 800MHz FSB so try to persaude me to AMD. Good luck because I don't think it's going to happen.

Frontside bus doesn't necessary mean faster processing.  Just check out the benchmarks where a 2.2GHz AMD FX-51 beats the 3.2GHz P4 in games.  Beating the P4 even though it is running 1GHz slower!!  That shows that clock speed isn't everything, it is how efficient the chip is.

GameGuru

• Archived User
Amd Or Celeron ?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2003, 05:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (tareqsattar @ Nov 28 2003, 12:21 AM)
i think amd has more cache and many people overclock the hell out of it, either way take a look at this link..

http://www.tomshardw...omparison_table

Unfortunetly that link doesn't have the fastest processors listed from either camp.
Pages: [1] 2