xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gamecube Pso Exploit...  (Read 45 times)

r0lf-

• Archived User
Gamecube Pso Exploit...
« on: December 08, 2003, 10:56:00 AM »

I was looking at the At the maxconsole forums today checking out what has been going on with the gamecube hacking lately. So the PSO hack letting people stream backups is pretty cool and all, but I was reading a thread listing the games that work. And it seems there is only a handful of them.

Maybe with some maturing this exploit could be pretty cool, but I dont think its that great. Very impressive nonetheless.

r0lf-

• Archived User
Gamecube Pso Exploit...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 11:21:00 AM »

Sopposedly it doesnt even work up to the full 10mb potential  rolleyes.gif

Wooger

• Archived User
Gamecube Pso Exploit...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 12:56:00 PM »

Sopposedly it doesnt even work up to the full 10mb potential

I would have to beg to differ on that statement.  Though potentially it may not at every given second it does stream data to and from the GC either ripping games or playing them.  Typical throughputs to the PC for when your ripping a game does reach the 10mb range(s).  Though like I had mentioned earlier not at every given second.  Granted the GC can handle more than 10mb/sec transfer rate (max at around 20-25mb/sec) the loaders and the protocols they are using do not stream anywere near that rate.  If they were to ever reach that rate then I doubt much of any lag would be noticed.  Of course with any streaming method lag in general will never be avoided completly. (Thats when buffering comes into play)

I think that's about head-on. I've got a Cube with a BB adaptor and PSO, but haven't bother to try getting it to work. Apparently the streaming is awful slow, on top of all of that.

There is slowness depending on the game and the amount of data that has to be streamed to the device.  Though I have noticed that slowness can be simply avoided almost completly (not all the times) by simply letting the stream send to the GC for abit (5min maybe) before attempting to start the game.  Such as Mario Kart DD.  Right in the beginning the little fella on the cloud that holds the starting lights moves really chopping right off the bat but once the stream catches up and begins to get more and more data in the GC you then can start the game and play with little to no glitching.  

I was looking at the At the maxconsole forums today checking out what has been going on with the gamecube hacking lately. So the PSO hack letting people stream backups is pretty cool and all, but I was reading a thread listing the games that work. And it seems there is only a handful of them.

Maybe with some maturing this exploit could be pretty cool, but I dont think its that great. Very impressive nonetheless.

I would agree though what games are you trying to run that you have not found work?  I havent been doing this for very long but noticed that one of the loaders typically atleast starts the game and it is somewhat playable.  There definatly is room for improvement on this idea as well as a better method for game support.  But it is a very very good idea.  Just think about it.  Even though the price of DVD-Rs are coming down and the writers as well would this provides an option for the less fortunate that can't afford such devices to backup and play there owned games (of course wink.gif ) without the worry of damaging there original disks.  

I would have to say for all that are working on this idea / project GREAT work and if anyone would ever want someone to learn and help out feel free to get ahold of me.  I would love to learn how the GC actually boots and the SDK / tools used to develop such software.

Wooger