xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Sega Saturn Hacking...  (Read 30 times)

shadowjin

• Archived User
Sega Saturn Hacking...
« on: July 16, 2003, 04:17:00 AM »

Yeah,

So i've recently become addicted to my saturn again.  Lots of good software and whatnot just easily pull me back to that system over and over.  Arcade perfect ports of Capcom fighting games especially are amazing.

Anyway, so here's my idea listed in a few key points :

1.  Each and every game on saturn has a soft reset function.
2.  The reset function, in theory, accesses a title screen name that's stored in the memory of the unit OR it goes to a specific file named "so-so."
3.  All saturns have a drive door switch which can be taped/secured in place so that the drive door may be opened at will, even when the unit is running.
4.  Booting an original and swapping it with a copy during operation DOES result in the game continuing normal operation off the copy.
5.  There is a 21pin chip for newer saturns available widely, but 20pin chips are like rare/lost technology.  Even rarer is the dual 20/21pin chip.

So here's my theory :

First, find a basic game that stops the disc at one point or another (whether it be a option screen or another screen) (yes, you can hot swap with the disc moving, but it will slowly kill your laser motor.)

If we were to obtain the code or perhaps hack a game file that is accessed by the soft-reset, then we can possibly run backups without the use of a modchip or the fabled swap-trick.

If anyone else is interested in helping me with this little project, please do contribute.  It'd be nice to breath some new age hacking into an old console.

-jin

shadowjin

• Archived User
Sega Saturn Hacking...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »

well, i don't have a problem getting a chip....it's the fact that I think someone could exploit the biggest flaw with the system that was probably overlooked so many years ago...

ya know?

i've got a 21pin and can easily get a 21pin chip....heh.

-jin

krackheadbill

• Archived User
Sega Saturn Hacking...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 12:42:00 AM »

the swap trick wont break the system......if you have a model one it is the best way to go.......the disc actually slows down when it is time to swap discs so the swap trick works great...i have been swapping mine for over 3 years and have had no problems.....however, if you have a model 2 you should get a chip because you have no leds and swapping can be a bitch.....even if my saturn were to crap out today (highly unlikely) i would have nothing against buying a new one for like 30 bucks and getting another 3 years of use out of it....oh yeah from what i understand there are 2 methods of swapping.....i have only tried one method: backup copy first wait for light to stop swap to orignial wait for light to flash 3 times swap back to backup copy and it should work....