xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guidelines For Being A "sport"  (Read 292 times)

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
Guidelines For Being A "sport"
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »

Alright, basically there are too many activities that are now officially declared a sport that do not fit into the traditional thinking of what a sport is. I've started creating some guidelines to classify what can and cannot be considered a sport. Feel free to add to this. I'd prefer nothing so far be modified. Here Goes:

the definitive guide on how to determine what can be or cannot be considered a sport

1. It must involve competition between more than one entity.
2. The arena must facilitate the competitors. A consequence of this rule is it must NOT require a table. IE pool, ping-pong, chess, as the players stand outside of the arena.
Unless the rules permit play to remain on the surface the players reside, such as if the ping pong ball may hit the ground, then it is not subject to this rule(this also makes
the table pointless).
3. It MUST NOT require a judge to decide the outcome. It must be possible to win or lose without a judge. This does not mean that if a judge is utilized that it is not a sport.
(Otherwise we must declare court a sport) To clarify: An activity that has no way of winning or losing without a judge's decision cannot be considered a sport. If a sport has
a clear-cut way to win or lose but utilizes a judge to make things easier can be considered a sport. (Such as mixed martial arts. One can knock their opponent out and win but
if no one loses after a certain period of time the decision goes to a judge.)

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

4.  It must not require a machine to input more energy into the activity than the human competitor.  So, by this rule cycling is a sport because the human puts more energy into the bike than the bike exerts because it is not 100% efficient.  However, auto racing would NOT be a sport because the car puts more energy into the race than the driver does.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Jun 10 2006, 12:07 PM) View Post
4. It must not require a machine to input more energy into the activity than the human competitor. So, by this rule cycling is a sport because the human puts more energy into the bike than the bike exerts because it is not 100% efficient. However, auto racing would NOT be a sport because the car puts more energy into the race than the driver does.

Excellent addition. Things this rule excludes will be considered "motorsports" but not an official "sport".

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »

5.  I would like to add any activity that involves a LARGE degree of luck not based on the performance of other players.  In this case, something like hunting or fishing are not considered sports because a lot of fishing (not all, I know) IS lucky... luck that the fish will bite.  Same thing with hunting... there is a huge "luck" factor.  Luck that the big deer or turkey will come by.

Now, I have a few questions.  What about skeet (minds out of gutter, please) shooting/target shooting... or paintballing?  Paintballing is fun, I play and there is quite a bit of running etc., but should it be considered a sport?

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

rule 2 should be amended to exclude human chess from being a sport, lol

IPB Image

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »

the revised "sport" guidelines.

the definitive guide on how to determine what can be or cannot be considered a sport

1. It must involve competition between more than one entity.

2. Heavy Physical activity must take place. (IE: Running, Jumping, etc) Any activity that allows being immobile during the entirety of participation may not be considered a sport.

3. The arena must facilitate the competitors. A consequence of this rule is it must NOT require a table. IE pool, ping-pong, chess, as the players stand outside of the arena.
Unless the rules permit play to remain on the surface the players reside, such as if the ping pong ball may hit the ground, then it is not subject to this rule(this also makes
the table pointless and this game is called tennis).

4. It MUST NOT require a judge to decide the outcome. It must be possible to win or lose without a judge. This does not mean that if a judge is utilized that it is not a sport.
(Otherwise we must declare court a sport) To clarify: An activity that has no way of winning or losing without a judge's decision cannot be considered a sport. If a sport has
a clear-cut way to win or lose but utilizes a judge to make things easier can be considered a sport. (Such as mixed martial arts. One can knock their opponent out and win but
if no one loses after a certain period of time the decision goes to a judge.)

5. Human power must be the primary source of energy for the activity. If any other source of power is the primary source such as an internal combustion engine, this will be
considered "motorsports" and will not fall under the classification of an official sport.

6. Activities that rely solely on luck will not be considered a sport. To clarify: Water temperature, clarity, wind direction, weather patterns, etc all give an angler
intelligence so that he may make an educated guess on where to fish, when to fish there, how to fish there, and what to fish with but the only thing that matters is the fish
bites. None of the other factors can force this to happen. Even though they may give it the greatest opportunity to occur, they cannot make it occur and thus cannot be considered
a sport.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

Is Battlebots a sport?

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Jun 11 2006, 12:25 AM) View Post
Is Battlebots a sport?

lol.... no

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »

smile.gif I was just being silly.

Could you clarify rule #4 for me.

In baseball they use of "judges" greatly affects the outcome of the game. So much so that it was heavily debated if they should go to strictly video camera umpires. Also, to incorporate the instant replay. It was shot down because of baseball trying to hold onto tradition.

Judgements must be made to determine a winner. If no judges are present (backyard ball), the players themselves, self-judge.

Judge
balls and strikes
out and safe
illegal vs legal
etc.

Every pitch or pick is judged. And, can and is misjudged altering the outcome of the game.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Jun 11 2006, 10:51 AM) View Post
smile.gif I was just being silly.

Could you clarify rule #4 for me.

In baseball they use of "judges" greatly affects the outcome of the game. So much so that it was heavily debated if they should go to strictly video camera umpires. Also, to incorporate the instant replay. It was shot down because of baseball trying to hold onto tradition.

Judgements must be made to determine a winner. If no judges are present (backyard ball), the players themselves, self-judge.

Judge
balls and strikes
out and safe
illegal vs legal
etc.

Every pitch or pick is judged. And, can and is misjudged altering the outcome of the game.

Excellent point. I didn't think of this and I definitely need to reword. What I was going at was professional cheerleading, figureskating and things such as that, that have absolutely no way of scoring other than someone's opinion. Baseball is different in that the umpire in baseball is not providing his opinion but rather an account of what he believes he saw. He does not actually give a number of runs based on a certain performance. He merely believes that a tag was or was not applied in time or if the runner beat the throw. Baseball does not 100% rely on the umpire's decision for the outcome of the game. The umpire is a passive figure in baseball. In the activities that require judges for any score to ever occur, they are active figures. I'm not sure how to reword the rule to convey the differences and acceptability but at any rate... excellent point.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Jun 11 2006, 01:00 PM) View Post

Excellent point. I didn't think of this and I definitely need to reword. What I was going at was professional cheerleading, figureskating and things such as that, that have absolutely no way of scoring other than someone's opinion. Baseball is different in that the umpire in baseball is not providing his opinion but rather an account of what he believes he saw. He does not actually give a number of runs based on a certain performance. He merely believes that a tag was or was not applied in time or if the runner beat the throw. Baseball does not 100% rely on the umpire's decision for the outcome of the game. The umpire is a passive figure in baseball. In the activities that require judges for any score to ever occur, they are active figures. I'm not sure how to reword the rule to convey the differences and acceptability but at any rate... excellent point.

Activity does not require a judge or other thrid party entity to award points that determine the winner.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Jun 11 2006, 01:00 PM) View Post

professional cheerleading

Um... oxymoron? tongue.gif

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Jun 11 2006, 01:17 PM) View Post

Um... oxymoron? tongue.gif

Agreed laugh.gif

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jun 11 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

Activity does not require a judge or other thrid party entity to award points that determine the winner.

Short and sweet. I like it.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

darts follow your rules, but i don't consider it a sport.

There should be a rule about the size of your gut.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(_iffy @ Jun 12 2006, 10:42 PM) View Post
darts follow your rules

2. Heavy Physical activity must take place.
darts? huh.gif

what about pro wrestling? lol, i guess since the outcomes are scripted is doesnt fit rule 1 (not "competition" per se)
Pages: [1] 2