xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Pro Rugby Vs. Nfl Players  (Read 580 times)

The*galloping*zebra

• Archived User
Pro Rugby Vs. Nfl Players
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2005, 05:34:00 AM »

user posted image

VS.

user posted image

smile.gif

joeyz34

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005, 05:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(Striker911 @ Mar 18 2005, 06:51 PM)
i dunno how rugby is played at all if you have to tackel them or not but i mean think about it would you really want Ray Lewis coming after you with no protection gear on? i mean You would get killed

well, you'd make him commit to trying to tackle you then pass the ball to someone running in behind hiim :D

joeyz34

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005, 05:12:00 AM »

having played both with many friends and having had this discussion on many many occasions, we've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to tell...

mainly because while it's possible for the NFL to take all of their best linebackers and corners and create a great rugby squad, (there's no point in even talking about linemen or qbs, cept maybe vick), those guys have played american football for so long, it's going to be hard for them to adapt to tackling properly, not blocking for runners, what the hell to do with a maul, and little aspects of the game.... it'd be an intresting game to watch though....

same with ruggers in an nfl game... i mean, you could run trips and turn it into a big option play, but it'd have to be out of the shot gun and quick, because i don't see any props getting blocking giant defensive linemen down... and i can't imagine it'd be natural for a rugby player to defend a pass, so we figured this game would have just an insane amount of scoring... which also would be intresting to watch...

birdkid

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »

This is a few months late but I can't help getting my two cents in. What I see is a bunch of Americans arguing against a bunch of everybody else over whose game is better. It seems like the arguments are more to insult the other team's players than compare the two. I think if NFL players were to play rugby they would be more durable as far as the tackling goes because they have much heavier guys tackling them all the time. As for running, they could probably catch and tackle someone running for a goal but they couldn't get up and do it again right away for the whole game. But if they were to get tackled I think rugby players would have a lot harder time getting the ball away from them, especially if the NFL team could join in the fight.

Now if a rugby team were to play american football, I think they would have a hard time as well. Being smaller they probably couldn't tackle as effectively, they aren't sprinters so they probably couldn't keep up AND successfully take down an NFL receiver, and if they got tackled they couldn't just get up and start running again. They'd have to start from a few yards back with their QB. Plus when you see someone coming to knock your head off you can't just throw the ball to someone else because they have someone trying to kill them too. Plus you probably have two or three people coming at you at full speed with all their might.

But who am I to judge, I just watched my first rugby game last night and I've hardly played any american football at all.

P.S. For the guy who posted the pictures of the rugby player and the american football player, that's the stupidest comparison I've ever seen. The football player is posing for a picture and the rugby player is actually playing in the mud.

The*galloping*zebra

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

P.S. For the guy who posted the pictures of the rugby player and the american football player, that's the stupidest comparison I've ever seen. The football player is posing for a picture and the rugby player is actually playing in the mud.

sleeping.gif

YourEyesAreLikeUFOs

• Archived User

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(birdkid @ Nov 26 2005, 03:37 PM) View Post

Now if a rugby team were to play american football, I think they would have a hard time as well. Being smaller they probably couldn't tackle as effectively, they aren't sprinters so they probably couldn't keep up AND successfully take down an NFL receiver, and if they got tackled they couldn't just get up and start running again.

shows what 'side' youre on, and how misinformed you are... but at least you acknowledge it towards the end...

imamafackinhokie

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

Rugby
NHL Hockey
Wrestlers (the real wrestling)
NFL

WhatsArules?

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

Football i think rougby is pretty pussy, yes i know it hurts like a bitch to play, but theres so many rules n shit, just let the dudes beat the shit outa each other

And whoever said football players are more in shape, these rugby dudes do like 100 clapping push-ups befor the game, and the get high as hell to

QUOTE(imamafackinhokie @ Jan 12 2006, 09:23 PM) View Post

Rugby
NHL Hockey
NFL

Wow... thats wrong

NFL
Rugby
Soccer
NHL Hockey
Knitting

I took the liberty of fixing it up for you a little bit

makaveli91

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2006, 06:17:00 PM »

Ok, as if you are all debating over Rugby players and NFL Players.   Get your heads on straight, Rugby players are 10X as crazy as NFL Players.

Reasons:

1.   There are no stoppages in Rugby unless the ball goes out of play, somebody gets a penalty or does something wrong, if the ball is being held up (Like a jump ball in Basketball), or if there is a score.

2.   Substitutions.  In rugby, you are only allowed to sub out and back in ONCE.  If you need to go out after that you can't play anymore.  

3.   Rugby players hit just as hard as NFL players, and don't wear the protection.

4.   Rugby players wear metal cleats.  I'm not too sure but i'm almost positive NFL players aren't allowed.  Whether its for safety or for the maintenance of the fields.  Either way, rugby players get "raked" where they get stomped in the face, or on the arm.  

Rugby is a faster paced game.  Period.  That makes it more physically demanding, and IMHO better.  Not always better to watch as they don't have the end zone dances or the theatrics, but skill wise..  

santosphillipcarlo

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »

I stumbled on this and happen to think about this a lot. I'd like to put this out there, since this is a Super Bowl team:

Pittsburgh Steelers-Rugby Lineup (If I were Coach Bill Cowhrer)
Loosehead Prop-Marvel Smith (Offensive Tackle)
Hooker-Alan Faneca (Offensive Guard)
Tighthead Prop-Kimo van Oelhoffen (Defensive End)
Left Lock-Heath Miller (Tight End)
Right Lock-Jerame Tuman (Tight End)
Blindside Flanker-Joey Porter (Linebacker)
Outside Flanker-James Farrior (Linebacker)
Number 8-Jerome Bettis (Captain, Running Back, power-oriented)
Scrumhalf-Antwaan Randle El (Wide Reciever/Punt Returner, but played quarterback in college)
Flyhalf-Ben Roethlisberger (Vice-Captain, Quarterback)
Left Wing-Hines Ward (Wide Reciever)
Inside Center-Duce Staley (Running Back, power-oriented)
Outside Center-Willie Parker (Running Back, speed-oriented)
Right Wing-Deshea Townsend (Cornerback)
Fullback-Troy Polamalu (Strong Safety)

Front Row
I remember watching the US play Scotland in the Rugby World Cup three years ago. Even though Scotland won, they had to contend with a massive size disadvantage in the scrum (the first eight players on this list are involved), which means that whoever Pittsburgh plays (unless it's another NFL team) would have a size disadvantage in the scrum and would be forced to rely on technique. Not convinced? Smith, Faneca, and van Oelhoffen are all linemen, whether offensive or defensive, so they have experience in throwing their bulk around.

Second Row
To be a good lock, you need to be a large target with good hands for the lineouts while also strong enough to handle scrums, so the first people I looked to were the tight ends, Miller and Tuman. They have blocking experience on offense and have good hands as well, so I'd feel comfortable with them as the Steeler locks.

Back Row
Porter, Farrior, and "The Bus" (Bettis) are not the largest Steelers, but they are all strong in their own right. All three would not be clueless at the scrum because it is not unusual for them to duke it out with the opposition at the line of scrimmage (blitzes for Farrior and Porter, up-the-gut runs for Bettis.) Moreover, Porter and Farrior would certainly lend themselves to open-play defense, while I can't see many rugby players at all stopping Bettis if he gets the ball close to the try line (the goal line in rugby.)

Halves
I initially penciled in Randle El at wing, but he was an option quarterback in college, so his hands would be greatly appreciated at scrumhalf (the scrumhalf restarts play after every tackle, normally with a pass, unless he makes a run and is tackled) and I expect he'd be able to do damage with the occasional dummy (fake pass, then run) and score a try or two. Not only that, but his wideout experience with Pittsburgh means that he's someone for the opposition to worry about if the Steelers can get a good kick forward. Flyhalf was a given with Big Ben Roethlisberger, since he's the best passer on the team and the flyhalf is the closest thing rugby has to a quarterback. He'd have to get used to lateralling pitching and tossing rather than overhand spirals forward, but that overhand could be useful as a lateral if he wants to get the ball out wide quickly.

Centers
This is a position very similar to running back, so it was fairly easy picking these out. Parker is not Marshall Faulk or Shaun Alexander, but he can blast through a hole and pick up a handful of ground before you can blink, so he was a near-given at outside center. Meanwhile, Staley made the squad because of his once being a starter for the Eagles and his power.

Back Three (wings + fullback)
When trying to create a rugby lineup for an American football team, I like to put one wide reciever and one cornerback at wing and then a safety at fullback because the back three have to be strong both on offense and defense. All three of these are fleetfooted enough for the task, with Ward having a very good pair of pass-catching hands, Townsend having coverage experience, and Polamalu being especially fast. He normally plays safety, but he is fast to the point that I can see him providing an extra spark on offense, because his mentality after an interception is "try to score".

Strengths (some suggested by you): good positional sense, physical talent, try-scoring ability, good defensive backfield, size and pushing power in scrum
Weaknesses (some suggested by you): not used to two-way play, kicking ability

Some other notes concerning this:
-Team England wing Ben Cohen was once scouted by an unidentified NFL squad.
-Another Team England player, flyhalf Jonny Wilkinson, made 4 penalties (field goals in rugby) and the winning drop goal (drop kick) in the Rugby World Cup final against Australia-with a Charger scout in the stands.
-Former Team England left lock and captain Martin Johnson is a self-confessed NFL fanatic and traveled with English goalkeeper David James to Seattle and San Francisco to shoot a documentary featuring the Seahawks and 49ers entitled "Beyond The NFL" for British network Sky One. Moreover, in a recent BBC interview, Johnson argued that while less stamina is demanded in American football, it is more physical.

This post has been edited by santosphillipcarlo: Feb 3 2006, 06:59 PM

Crystal Ice

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

Its hard to really compare thses two sports, even though they do have some similarities.  Its hard because of there backgrounds, Football is a North American sport, Rugby is more of a worldly sport.  They thrive in different parts of the world, but then again, they falter in others.  They both are awsome sports, in high school I had the oppurtunity to play both.  I feel that football is an "Action-cycled" sport because the play happens; the action begins, the play is made or stopped; the peak of the action, and then the players regroup; the cool-down, and finally the next play is executed starting the cycle all over again.  Rugby on the other hand is like soccer, by that I mean it is a continuous sport.  There is no pause between plays, except when someone scores etc.  

Therefore, I see them as too seperate sports that DO have some similarities, but not enough to be fully compared on an equal scale.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »

aside from the fat lineman, all these people, rugby and football, are all premier athletes.
these two sports are played by athletes. The games just have different rules.

if you gave them each a month to learn each others game(rules/gameplay), they could all play as effectivly in the new sport.

either athlete could play either game well.

This post has been edited by _iffy: Feb 6 2006, 05:29 AM

gert83

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »

Richard Tardits played international U21 rugby for France and also played lineback for the New England Patriots in the early 90's. He said the NFL was more violent but rugby was tougher - how you interpret that I don't know.....
There are rugby players who would be great at football if they knew the game. Think of the impact  Polynesians  have made on college and NFL football, then think that rugby is the national sport of every polynesian nation bar American Samoa and Hawaii, so imagine how much potential Polynesian NFL material there is currently playing in the Super 14, or turning out for Fiji or Samoa at rugby. Guys like Jonah Lomu from Tonga, who weighed 260lbs and could run 10.7 secs for 100m are an example. Even before he was ill, he got dropped because he had no endurance - but with stats like that he might have been a great in the NFL.
League and Union rugby players have been scouted periodically by the NFL. not only Ben Cohen, but also Wendell Sailor, Jonny Wilkinson and Adam MacDougall.
Of course, if Americans took rugby seriously the pool of athletes available would make for an amazing rugby team, but you might be surprised that, because of the differenecs between the games, some of the NFL stars might not be in it!
If you don't think rugby players hit then watch these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfa1b3SKuRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPZLnA_HWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf4xXQBaRmQ

nd u might enjoy the Polynesian Haka war dance before this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwAPmdUQwbw

awal

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

Anyone who has played tackle football without pads has made hits like that. Compare those hits to these:

not nfl, but still a really good hit:

football has more head-to-head contact.

And that guy who put knitting about real wrestling... well he needs his head checked. I ruptured my spleen wrestling.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5