xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Premiership Campion!  (Read 127 times)

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Premiership Campion!
« on: May 02, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »

mad.gif
Stupid NEWCASTLE got beaten by fucking Man City....
Come on the leeds today, we got to get a draw or win to stay alive  dry.gif

jbp20717

• Archived User
Premiership Campion!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 05:18:00 AM »

wink.gif ) - and then they manage only to get a draw with Wolves!

Of course Arsenal can go unbeaten - Liverpool managed it in like 1989 or something, although strictly speaking that wasn't in the Premiership.  There was however a team in S.America somewhere a few years ago which managed to win every game in the season!

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Premiership Campion!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 01:04:00 AM »

Yes it is the best in the world - Arsenal just didn't play well in Europe... Look at how Chelsea did even though they where 3rd!

jbp20717

• Archived User
Premiership Campion!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 04:15:00 AM »

The thing is that the Champions League consists of the best from each country, but in Italy, for example, there are only about 5 teams completing for the 4 Champions League spots and the rest are fairly mediocre teams (unless Chievo and Udinese manage to get into the CL - then I'll be proved wrong) and a lot of countries have even less top class teams (e.g. France + Germany), but overall the Premiership is probably the most challenging league in Europe.

Also, Arsenal were eliminated from the Champions League by Chelsea - who hadn't managed to beat them for something like 17 games (and it also means they had to face them twice to keep their unbeaten record) - if they hadn't had to face each other in the quarter-finals then I'm sure at least one english club would ahve played the final.

jbp20717

• Archived User
Premiership Campion!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »

Well I wouldn't say Germany had a lot of good teams, and I wouldn't rate Bayern Munich too highly.

I would actually say that Arsenal are the best team in Europe, but English teams have a somewhat stupid habit of being too intimidated when playing away from home and therefore play a far more defensive game than they normally would.  e.g. when Arsenal knew they had to win to stay in the Champions League, they thrashed Inter at the San Siro.  Spanish teams in particluar are the complete opposite and thats why teams like Alaves and Villareal have got so far in international competitions.

renegade1488

• Archived User
Premiership Campion!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »

IMO Man U could maybe have kept up the pace on Arsenal, maybe not till the very end, but certainly they may not have done so badly if Rio hadn't been suspended. If you look at the table at Christmas I think it was, Man U were a few points clear at the top, then it all went down the crapper. Arsenal have, without doubt, been the best team in England this season, but it may have all been different if Ruud hadn't missed that peno all the way back at the beginning. What I'm saying is that Arsenal and Man U could have been close at the end, as opposed to 15 points apart, if Rio hadn't been stupidly suspended. And if Man U had carried on the way they did, maybe it could've been Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal in the semis, like a few seasons ago with Valencia, Real and Barca (if I'm correct - can't remeber exactly)