xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Does Everyone Think Of The Clarett Ruling?  (Read 102 times)

fin1581

• Archived User
What Does Everyone Think Of The Clarett Ruling?
« on: April 23, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »

I think that the Clarett ruling will help the NFL in the long run.  I dont even think Clarett would have made a difference on any team for a few years, if ever.  He is a good running back but has been injury prone and would probably end up in ruining his career somehow - drugs, gambling, etc.  He is the one that messed up his college career and now should face the punishment.  I dont think he should be reinstated into the NCAA either because of last years controversy.  I think he might end up only being able to play in the CFL and show he is actually a good player and can play through a full season.  On a side note, I think that Mike Williams should be able to reinstated into the NCAA.  He was just riding on the curtails of the Clarett case and is hurt much more than Clarett from the SC ruling.  Williams for sure would have been a top ten pick this year and in the top 3 next year.  Clarett is at best a high second-rounder this year.  I think Williams could have made it as an impact player this year in the NFL and there are players that could come out earlier every so often and could do the same...but this still would hurt the NFL.  It is already hard enough to keep players in line in the NFL and I think adding players would are not mentally for the NFL would just cause more problems.  NFL football is the most complicated of sports to play in and I just dont think that many players less than three years out of high school are ready for that type of atmosphere.

About Eli Manning, I think that his dad should have kept his mouth shut and let the Chargers draft him if they wanted to.  His antics have only hurt his son's reputation and it is going to make it harder for him to make the transition to the NFL.  It would already be enough pressure if he was the first overall pick but now he has even more pressure on him because of his dad.  The Giants probably would have traded down to the first pick anyways but even if they didnt, and the Charger picked him, what would have been wrong with that?  I dont think his situation would have been much better than if/when he goes to the Giants.  Yes, he could learn under Kerry Collins if he had to but I dont think the Giants are that much better than the Chargers.  The Giants have a decent receiver core with Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard and a great tight end in Shockey...but their line is not good at all.  I think Tom Coughlin is an overrated coach and never should have lasted as long as he did in Jacksonville.  The Chargers do need to get rid of Marty Schotenheimer but even so, I think they would have been an okay fit...oh and to bring up the pressure on Manning again - there is no pressure like that of the pressure to play pro sports in the Big Apple.  Thats enough for me...anyone else have any opinions?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
What Does Everyone Think Of The Clarett Ruling?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (fin1581 @ Apr 23 2004, 08:55 PM)
I think that the Clarett ruling will help the NFL in the long run.  I dont even think Clarett would have made a difference on any team for a few years, if ever.  He is a good running back but has been injury prone and would probably end up in ruining his career somehow - drugs, gambling, etc.  He is the one that messed up his college career and now should face the punishment.  I dont think he should be reinstated into the NCAA either because of last years controversy.  I think he might end up only being able to play in the CFL and show he is actually a good player and can play through a full season.  On a side note, I think that Mike Williams should be able to reinstated into the NCAA.  He was just riding on the curtails of the Clarett case and is hurt much more than Clarett from the SC ruling.  Williams for sure would have been a top ten pick this year and in the top 3 next year.  Clarett is at best a high second-rounder this year.  I think Williams could have made it as an impact player this year in the NFL and there are players that could come out earlier every so often and could do the same...but this still would hurt the NFL.  It is already hard enough to keep players in line in the NFL and I think adding players would are not mentally for the NFL would just cause more problems.  NFL football is the most complicated of sports to play in and I just dont think that many players less than three years out of high school are ready for that type of atmosphere.

I haven't been paying enough attention to college football to be able to give much of a debate about most of this. But I agree with keeping Clarett out for now. The whole point of weaker teams getting high draft picks is so they can improve their team. And soon. Not 6 years down the line when their draft picks hit puberty. Kids in sports coming into drafts earlier and earlier is not a good thing. Sometimes you end up with a talent like Lebron, but other times you end up with someone who isn't physically or emotionally developed enough to make a contribution. And won't be for a few years. It's a huge jump from college to the pros. Everything's faster. Plays are more complicated. I can think of very few NFL players that have made a huge impact their first year in the league. There's no way some 20 year old kid is going to be ready ready for the NFL yet.