xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Two Sports Questions - Baseball And Hockey  (Read 161 times)

shanafan

• Archived User
Two Sports Questions - Baseball And Hockey
« on: April 04, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »

1) Baseball game.. runner is on first, or rather, any base. Catcher calls time, and speaks to the pitcher at the mound. Now, can a first, second, or third baseman also speak to the pitcher and catcher at the mound? If that is true, can the pitcher secretly hand the ball to the baseman, so when the baseman heads back to the base, he can tag out the runner at his base?

2) Remember Mighty Ducks 2? If a team was able to have a forward or defenseman switch gear with the goalie during a timeout, is that a legal move?

IndieSnob

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »

#1 No, only a catcher can speak to the pitcher when he calls a timeout. If the coach calls the timeout, or is coming to the field while the catcher calls timeout, then any infielder or outfielder may come to the mound. As far as the ball, no, the fielder couldn't take the ball, as it's ruled a dead ball unless the pitcher makes either of the two motions, first motion being throwing to homeplate, second motion either throwing to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd base or a pickoff move.

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (IndieSnob @ Apr 5 2004, 01:13 AM)
second motion either throwing to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd base or a pickoff move.

I imagine that means the ball has to be in his hands before he throws it, like he couldn't mimic the motion

IndieSnob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »

Yes, you are correct.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

I think your technicly allowed to do this (why you would want to is beyond me). The only problem is the equipment likely wont fit right reulting in an injury.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »

There have been instances in which the ball is fake handed from an infielder to the pitcher. The baserunner takes the lead and gets tagged out by an infielder, while he thought the pitcher had the ball.

And the goalie swappnig with another player is leagl in college hockey. I'd imagine in lower leagues the rules would be even more leniant and it would be allowed. In the pros...... Well I just don't see it happening there.