xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dumb Hockey Question  (Read 296 times)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« on: March 25, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »

I'm listening to the news on TSN.. Canada's take on ESPN.  Anyway.. They are showing some highlights the other night.. and one of the broadcasters says..

".. too bad shot off the Irons don't count towards the shots on goal.."

Is this true? If so.. why?

I'm a huge fan.. but not a freak for stats and such.. so I've never given it a second though before.

Educate me plz. smile.gif

falser

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »

I believe it's simply that the puck has to completely cross the goal line.  If it bounces off the goal post and back out then it couldn't have crossed the line completely.  But if it bounces into the net it counts.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 02:26:00 AM »

Its because they want Shots on goal to be the same as saves made (other than goals scored).

And if it goes off the post you cant count it as a save by the goalie. Just makes the stats a little cleaner to see Saves: 25 Shots 24 GA 1, than Saves: 25 Shots 31 GA 1.

fin1581

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 04:22:00 AM »

Yea, saves are when the goalie actually keeps the puck from going in the net...and a shot doesnt actually count unless it is a save or a goal.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 04:53:00 AM »

Exactly... a shot off the crosspost or bars is one that won't go in, hence, not a save, and a shot isn't worthwhile unless it's a save or a goal.

biggrin.gif

fin1581

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »

Just to clarify a few things:

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Mar 26 2004, 02:53 PM)
Exactly... a shot off the crosspost or bars is one that won't go in, hence, not a save, and a shot isn't worthwhile unless it's a save or a goal.
biggrin.gif

It's actually the crossbar or posts but I am sure you just mixed up your wording lol

Also, the only time a shot that hit the post or crossbar would count as a save is if it deflects off of the goalie then hits the iron.

chefelf

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »

You know what I'm sick of?  My local announcers (Boston Bruins), and all announcers to some degree, saying "They have 2 goals... but if those posts counted as goals then they'd have 5 goals!!"

No shit!  If slapshots that went wide counted they'd have 12 goals.  So what?  They always act like shots off the post are this huge rarity when they happen all the time.

Sorry, just a little rant I had to get out.  wink.gif

ps2suks

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »

BTW,

BenJermey, hows the next release of MXM coming along.

Also i had taken a folder of music from a freind he ripped.

When i put it in my music folder from some music i ripped, it wouldnt play it???

Spency234

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 03:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (ps2suks @ Apr 12 2004, 01:30 AM)
BTW,

BenJermey, hows the next release of MXM coming along.

Also i had taken a folder of music from a freind he ripped.

When i put it in my music folder from some music i ripped, it wouldnt play it???

mogilny

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

You know what I'm sick of? My local announcers (Boston Bruins), and all announcers to some degree, saying "They have 2 goals... but if those posts counted as goals then they'd have 5 goals

they are my local announcers as well (boston) and you know what i am sick of?  our local announcers.  dale and gordie are so immature sometimes, i listen with the sound off.  and they know absolutely fuckin NOTHING about hockey.

CJ

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

Since when are any local annoucers not biased?

No matter what the sport around here it's always Boston biased. Since I hate all the Boston teams it gets sickening.

AnThRaX

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »

Actually all of you are wrong. A crossbar and a post are 2 sepreate things. The crossbar is actually inside the net. If you look at a net from above you will see white pipes those are crossbars. Most ref's will detect if its a goal or not. But, some of my slap shots are fast and mostly my point of view (HEAD ON) can see them hit it. But, other times no. Sucks but thats hockey. If a crossbar is hit then it is a goal since its in the back of the goal. 90% of shots that hit the post won't go in unless there wrist shots up close. Because a slap shot is head on from the point. It will hit the post not usually hit the bottom then go in. But, its very possible, done it a few times. Very sweet sound. But, like someone said if its caught its not a goal. sry to say it, but your wrong as well. If a goalie gloves the puck past the line it is infact a goal. I learn this from being on a team of a goalie that can glove most shots but always moves his gloves backwards. When catching instead of steady. Well, thats how I know.

AnThRaX

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (HSDEMONZ @ Mar 25 2004, 08:39 PM)
I'm listening to the news on TSN.. Canada's take on ESPN.  Anyway.. They are showing some highlights the other night.. and one of the broadcasters says..

".. too bad shot off the Irons don't count towards the shots on goal.."

Is this true? If so.. why?

I'm a huge fan.. but not a freak for stats and such.. so I've never given it a second though before.

Educate me plz. smile.gif

Your quote what they mean is, at the end of the game they keep stats usually on a paper. In NHL probably computer. But, it keeps shots on goal. Shots on goal means to the goalie as in goal net (not goals. just net shoots directed toward and hits or deflects from goalie. But, when it hits a post i isn't counted as a shot on net. Hope that clears..

AnThRaX

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »

If a shot hits a crossbar its a goal automatically since its inside the goal in the first place and its passed the goal line!

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Dumb Hockey Question
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »

thanks for the informative reply.

Go Leafs.
Pages: [1] 2