xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: UK: Mr. Modchips Gets Convicted  (Read 704 times)

RichMR2

• Archived User
UK: Mr. Modchips Gets Convicted
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2007, 05:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(crisdo98 @ Oct 26 2007, 12:05 PM) *

I've used this guy a tonne of times and the turn around time was always next day or the day after.  He has always been a little bit expensive for my liking but the fact that mrmodchips is the only UK site that is game enough to blatantly disregard the law here made up for the excessive pricing.

At the end of the day if he was only offering the chips then fine but the Metro here states that they raided his home in Bristol where he lived in his parents basement.  They confiscated 17 premodded consoles, 3700 chips and I'm sure he had illegal software, games and probably even ceased his bank account.

Anyway this guys deserves to be punished for being stupid.  He obviously tried the ol' "my business is run in Thailand and this website is based outside the UK" however it doesn't take a genius to work out that this was an operation run in the UK.

I too offer a chipping service which I know is illegal however this is all i offer.  I don't premod games, i don't sell chips.  The reason for this is not to be too greedy and hopefully the authorities wouldn't even think about small fish such as myself.

Anyway I'd feel bad if this guy did do time but that is the risk you take.  Unfortunatley there will most likely be an examply set with this guy.

Moral to the story...  don't drop the soap!

No doubt an example will be made of him, it generally is over here when they start on the next big crackdown. As much as I dislike the guy I do have to agree that they should go after the real criminals first/aswell not just the sitting ducks.

P.S. There are other, better, suppliers over here in the UK. They just no longer premod. I expect you know of them anyway, MrModchips didn't have the monopoly (even if he would claim to blacklist someone who complained to him making them think maybe they wont be able to get anymore chips)

dieharder

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »

One thing I think the media coverage of this case will do is highlight to the general public that it *is* possible to get around the copyprotection of most new consoles, something that they may not have know. My guess is that there will be an increase in people at least looking into the possiblity of flashing their 360 etc

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »

An Xecuter gives a 1.6 Xbox a flashable BIOS
1.0 - 1.5 Xboxes already have a flashable BIOS
Therefore an Xecuter gives a 1.6 Xbox the same capabilities as its predecessors.  AND THAT'S ALL IT DOES.

An unchipped Xbox can be set up to play copies and/or boot Linux.  A chipped Xbox can be set up to NOT play copies and/or NOT boot Linux.

This ruling's a load of bollocks, made by fuckwitted judges who know nothing about technology except what the lawyers spoonfeed them.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »

I thought it was only me who had a run-in with him.

I purchased a X3 which was DOA, sent it back for exchange and he denied ever receiving it. He then blocked all PMs and told me to write by letter after I stated that I definitely sent it and wanted a refund.

I however would have liked to be at the trial to see what ignorance was being spouted by the prosecution....

bobbler

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2020, 02:39:00 AM »

Not someone I will miss that is for sure from my run-ins with him over the last few years. Stopped buying from him a while ago now.

deeps500

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 08:25:00 PM »

Just placed an order for $90 on his site an hour ago. Found this thread about 10 min ago. No record of a purchase on his site, but a $90 purchase to MR MODCHIP on my bank statement. Guess i can kiss that money goodbye.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]