xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Federal Agents Go After Gaming Pirates: Several US Modchip Stores Raid  (Read 1062 times)

majik655

• Archived User
Federal Agents Go After Gaming Pirates: Several US Modchip Stores Raid
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

Doesn't the wiikey already have the bios or code flashed... the setup disk ONLY starts it up?  I did not think the wiikey setup disk FLASHES the bios?   In fact it changes the eeprom doesn't it?

Also..
MicroMods - this raid was not because of the xbox.. mainly it was for the wii... BUT while they are at it.. they might as well go for all that they find.

decline1822  - who cares about booting GC Homebrew??  well I do.. since there is a media player for it..
guess what one of the uses are for .. for me installing a wii modchip.. TO PLAY MEDIA FILES ON IT!!!

ALMOST EVERY item anywhere sold and/or purchased can be used for BAD intentions..
Think of anything.. such as
alarm clock - set off a device (bomb) or just wake me up in the morning on time
slim jim - break into a car or save my dumbass because I locked my keys in my car
pc virus (trojans) - screw my computer or use it another way like opening backdoors to my pc to use remotely and to controll (back office anyone lol)

Point is.. we as people or citizens need to make this a major part of who and why we vote for people in office..  because as we are seeing.. if laws are made that can HINDER this way of life.. then basically nothing is stopping the "government" as a whole from making us do whatever they want us to do the way they want it done.  Dress this way.. buy these items... use them this way ONLY!

The other problem is why is it not illegal for microsoft to be in existence... because we know for a fact..
Gates himself has backwards engineered things to get where he is today.. you can't backwards engineer things without using someones code for at least a second.. or circumventing security to LEARN how it works.
IF we are not allowed to do this.. then we will not thrive technology wise.   EVERYONE looks and learns by everyone, we would also not be able to have competition.. clones... or what have you.

Altima NEO

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

So weve been dealing with this POS DMCA for nearly 10 years now. Its obviously not cutting it, for there have been so many issues with it since its conception. We need to do something about it.

shadowth

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

I've been trying to reach teammodders, but I just get a 403!  sad.gif They helped me a lot, specially when I ventured myself into the PS2 modding.

I am truly sorry for those guys. It is really a shame something like this happened.

omega2468

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »

Feel bad for them too.  That and the people that bought from these sites.  Or are they only going after the sellers and not the buyers?

SpankIt

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lush @ Aug 1 2007, 08:41 PM) View Post

its great to live in canada... we don't care about copyrights and piracy here... =)

It's attitudes like that that will have our rights for modchips taken away.

asnagrim

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »

You should all move to Australia.
It is completely legal to install/use mods over here except for 360s.
Click here for info on australian modchip laws
Thats how it should be for the rest of the world.

xlordx

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »

Ughh...I tore that little  label off my mattress oh no there coming...... jester.gif

beandip

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »

and just think i bout a wii i just stuck money in nitendo's pocket to help this out what a dummy i am

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(appleguru @ Aug 1 2007, 08:55 PM) View Post

Yes, OTB Mods was included in the raids. I'm out of the country atm, so I wasn't around for the raid... but it sounds like they took everything.

Did you update your site or did "they?"

cbs071379

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »

does anyone think they are going to go after the consumers too or just the sellers?

xess

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(cbs071379 @ Aug 2 2007, 10:49 AM) View Post
does anyone think they are going to go after the consumers too or just the sellers?
     I think only the suppliers will be targeted. They wont waste time and money chasing small fish. Will they?

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »

@ Appleguru

So you said they took EVERYTHING??? Including your inventory that WASNT modchips?  Thats bogus - how the hell does a faceplate infringe on copyrights?

Ceazer

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(xess @ Aug 2 2007, 08:55 AM) View Post

I think only the suppliers will be targeted. They wont waste time and money chasing small fish. Will they?

could be DTV all over again  sad.gif  i hope and pray its not but never underestimate the greed of big business ....

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(brocher @ Aug 2 2007, 07:03 AM) View Post

Didn't the guy who ran isonews get jailed for 6 months a few years back for selling mod chips (note, not pirated games)?

Of course, they jailed him on whatever they could, just wanted to shut the site down and teach a lesson to sceners, but it shows that you can be found guilty of selling mod chips. If I'm remembering correctly that is.

And the site was back up in 2 days...

I don't think he went to jail.. they just took over the site...

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Aug 2 2007, 09:07 AM) View Post

@ Appleguru

So you said they took EVERYTHING??? Including your inventory that WASNT modchips?  Thats bogus - how the hell does a faceplate infringe on copyrights?

I honestly don't know yet; I'm a few thousand miles away from home.. I saw the warrant though, and it was ridiculously broad... So I really wouldn't put it past them... but they probably left (most of) them...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7