xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Flat Earth Society  (Read 135 times)

gronned

• Archived User
Flat Earth Society
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »

Flat Earth Society

What's your opinion about it?

pug_ster

• Archived User
Flat Earth Society
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »

I suppose if there's nuts out there who believes in "creationism" or "intelligent design", I wouldn't be surprised there's people who believe the world is flat.

xboxbox451

• Archived User
Flat Earth Society
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »

Government

Q: "Why do the all the world Governments say the Earth is round?"

A: It's a conspiracy

Q: "What about NASA? Don't they have photos to prove that the Earth is round?"

A: NASA is part of the conspiracy too. The photos are faked.

Q: "Why has no-one taken a photo of the Earth that proves it is flat?"

A: The government prevents people from getting close enough to the Ice Wall to take a picture.

Q: "How did NASA create these images with the computer technology available at the time?"

A: Since NASA did not send rockets into space, they instead spent the money on developing advanced computers and imaging software instead

Thier Q and A made me chuckle.

gronned

• Archived User
Flat Earth Society
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »

If some of them honestly believe in it today, they're f***king retards... but I'm pretty sure most of them part of the society today, really don't.

It seems they're more trying to make a stance on critical thinking, and really do have some legitimate thoughts on it. Why should we believe the earth is round only because scientists say so, or why shouldn't we? I can't prove it myself.

Why should we believe in global warming only because scientists say so, or why shouldn't we? I can't prove it myself.

Why should we believe in the theory of evolution only because scientists say so, or why shouldn't we? I can't prove it myself.

Honestly, we are extremely adaptable to what the greater masses think. It can even be enough that one scientist claim a "fact" and then it gets spread around the world, like the Boeing engineer who said humblebees can't fly. Because he had a lot of authority in the field of aerodynamics and people liked the thought of it not really being able to fly, the myth got instantly widespread and ultimately "factual".

Why should we blindly believe in what scientists say? Even great amounts of scientists have been wrong before.

I think it's a good reminder how affected we are by propaganda.

damam

• Archived User
Flat Earth Society
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »

I love these hypercompitant government conspiracy theories. love.gif the stuff about the ice wall and the ice wall guards is really good.

My favorite explination:  How did the flat earth come into being?

IPB Image

some of them are clearly doing it tongue in cheek, others though, like Tom Bishop really appear to be true believers . . .

xboxbox451

• Archived User
Flat Earth Society
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Jun 14 2007, 02:46 AM) View Post

Honestly, we are extremely adaptable to what the greater masses think. It can even be enough that one scientist claim a "fact" and then it gets spread around the world, like the Boeing engineer who said humblebees can't fly. Because he had a lot of authority in the field of aerodynamics and people liked the thought of it not really being able to fly, the myth got instantly widespread and ultimately "factual".

Why should we blindly believe in what scientists say? Even great amounts of scientists have been wrong before.

I think it's a good reminder how affected we are by propaganda.

Yes, I see your point, but hey, what is one to do? Start thinking 'The Matrix' is a factual movie?

Lets take antibiotics for instance. Without the development made throughout the scientific community, people would be keeling over from a simple tooth infection. So when I take that into account, I tend to give the scientific community the benefit of the doubt.

I don't feel science is something that should be worshipped, like many are starting practice, and as you said, maybe thats what that society is trying to conjure up. Therefore, any theory thrown out there by the scientific community, is not something I'll blindly believe. Science should be challenged and debated without irrefutable evidence to support their popular theories, though some counterclaims are rather waaay out there, case in point "Flat Earth Society". So unless I start hearing reports of people falling off the edge of the earth, I'll stick with our world being a round spinning rock orbiting the Sun.