xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: So Long, Internet Privacy :(  (Read 111 times)

throwingks

• Archived User
So Long, Internet Privacy :(
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »

http://blog.wired.co...der_monday.html
May 14th is the official deadline for cable modem companies, DSL providers, broadband over powerline, satellite internet companies and some universities to finish wiring up their networks with FBI-friendly surveillance gear, to comply with the FCC's expanded interpretation of the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act.
Don't do anything big brother wouldn't want you to!

DrPepperFan15

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

hmmm...  ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif

They are after us.... proboly going after the "usual places" especially looking in ther and trying to find everything they could to shut it down... we should all know the scene's "usual places" ph34r.gif so will they.

Although when the internet was made nobody thought about what is to come of it today... movies, tv, all media in fact, programs, businesses and such so now is the time that they are going to enforce the law towards the people who pirate the programs and media and also the people who use cracks and serials and so forth to use the programs when they havent payed for it.

I think it's a good thing and also a bad thing since now we are going to be monitored like right now...

pug_ster

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »

There are alot people who thinks it is their right to download movies and software illegally.  Unless someone in the government start cracking down on those people, piracy is just as bad as jaywalking.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

do all of the same wire-tapping laws apply to the internet?  

As long as they cant do data fishing, i guess i have no problem with this.

gronned

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »

I agree with you on one point Pugster.

I, in absolutely no way, care about these companies that out-charge their products and generally make the good music shaded behind their crap. Britney Spears and the alike are pure products(objects really) of these companies and I would for numerous reasons like to see them fade away. But I can in no way say that I should have the right to download music for free. The artists haven't made the music for free to us, if we don't pay, how could they possibly survive?
And even though I think a complete crash in the industry would mean much cheaper and better music, I still can't see how I should have any sort of right to download music I'm supposed to pay for. It just doesn't add up.

The only thing I react to in this question is that some people seem to diminish their "sins" by saying it's their RIGHT to download music they haven't paid for, with every possible explanation to it.
So please, download all you want, it's only for the better when it comes to the music-industry(probably not the software-industry), but never ever claim it's your right to do so.

I'm not so sure I agree with you on the second issue though.

Internet has truly become something of a free haven for pirates in many forms. Most of us like that, when it's to our benefit, like downloading music and films etc. But we dislike it and criticize it heavily when it's to our disadvantage, like virus and spam. So, we're hypocritical, who'd imagine.
And as much as I don't have a good answer for what may be done, I'm not too keen on the idea of being supervised in even more forms. However, I'm absolutely certain there's no need to resist it too much as internet undoubtedly will be supervised much heavier than today. The game is lost on beforehand.
Feels a bit like Kubrick's 2001 where the technological train went faster and faster till we couldn't control it any longer. We won't be able to have any unsupervised areas at all in the future, not even in our own homes. If we accept it we're tools, but we'll live with it, the once that don't accept it will probably become loonies, because how could one really revolt it?

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »

@gronne

your post actually made me change my mind.  I had forgotten a principle that I used to live by: "You can never send a strong enough message to the government to keep their hands out of your ass."

it does not really matter that I have nothing to fear right now.  That is how it starts.  And we can always revolt, we can always fight back.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »

Just move to a country outside of the FBI's jurisdiction... laugh.gif

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »

hmmm...not liking this policy.