xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ESA, IP Group Demand Canada Copyright Fix  (Read 475 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
ESA, IP Group Demand Canada Copyright Fix
« on: February 14, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 14 20:30 EST

From next-gen.biz:

An alliance of US intellectual property defenders, which includes the Entertainment Software Association, wants Canada on an IP offender blacklist because of its alleged relaxed stance against piracy.

The IIPA's complaint against Canada says the country is a "leading exporter" of movie bootlegs and mod-chips. There are no laws in Canada against mod-chips and piracy tools, according to the Globe and Mail, nor are there any restrictions on taping movies in theatres.
The mod-chip business is reportedly dominated by organized crime rings, such as Quebec's Hells Angels and the Big Circle Boys in Ontario and British Columbia.
The IIPA also accuses the Canadian government itself of not taking copyright issues very seriously. The government has yet to draft new copyright legislation addressing the issues.

Full Story: next-gen.biz

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »

I am sure it will work. It worked with Sweden (TPB), right?

How is it illegal to record with a camcorder at the theater anyways? What is the difference between that and recording HBO with your VCR? You paid for the movie.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »

So... Hell's Angels are Xecuter retailers?

triggert

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »

I wish the US would get its head out of everyone else's ass and worry about itself for a while.  grr.gif  Bunch of greedy bastards...

m00nstone

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »

"...mod-chip business is reportedly dominated by organized crime rings, such as Quebec's Hells Angels.."

I call BS.  Lies to further demonize a perfectly legitimate use of hardware.  Hells Angels, give me a freaking break.

highbomber

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »

I am happy my government is behind on copyright legislation. There are larger issues that the Canadian government should deal with. Piracy, in the scheme of things, is not important.

When the world is at peace and the environment is safe, then we can start worrying about piracy.

And lastly, "The mod-chip business is reportedly dominated by organized crime rings." That is ridiculous. They may deal with stolen/ pirated movies and entertainment, along with other goods, but modchips are sold by honest people because it is not illegal.

AmyGrrl

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »

Wow.. they need to get some of their facts straight... how many times have I seen a movie uploaded that is in spanish or some other langauge other than english weeks or months before an english version of the movie comes out... I highly doubt those are coming from Canada.... and I had to laugh at the Hell's Angels bit.... all I have to say is piss off and leave my country alone...

sp1200

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »

Fuck these guys.

We keep shit gully up here.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »

It is ramping up lately.  Nintendo is lighting fires under all kinds of people's asses.

Its funny though, the 360 drive compromised, PS3 is basically done via linux, Wii has a modchip (actually 2 and 2 in the works), PSP, DS you name it has been opened up.  No wonder they are scrambling like ants.

Now DRM/HD-DVD is an afterthought.  Whats next?

And they expect 6$ for a 20 year old rom?  Keep underestimating the consumer people  blink.gif

elitegamer360

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »

stupid m***er f***ers they even wont let the canadians alone.

this shit not going to end & pirating is not gona stop so backoff our arsses and let us be  mad.gif

sorry I just got pissed  grr.gif

cyberg4

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »

The problem is that they want us to adopt some DMCA crap which is completely counterproductive.  Sure we are a little lax in our IP rights, when compared to say the USA, but not so much as Sweden, or some other places.  These places need to let people do their stuff and stop blaming their problems on "pirates".  Oh well, it's not like anything is going to happen with our current minority government.

TheLegace

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

This is the biggest load of crap.

I cannot freaking beleive, Hells Angel are invovled in a crime ring of Modchips, I mean what the fuck is that.

It has to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

I don't understand where the proof is.

Holy crap. I love my country, Canada, and god bless it. But come on, some American Corporations just piss me of so much.

skEwb

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »

Yes! lets tell the rest of the world what to do and if they don't obey ATTACK or BLOCK THEM! GO US AND A!!! HIGH 5!!!

Darkjasper

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

I hate anti piracy acts. Pointless waste of the tax dollars. I love Canada and I am American, makes you feel like your in the wrong place.

Kraptreon

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »

Since I live in canada, this has to be the funniest article i have ever seen on XS.
nor are there any restrictions on taping movies in theatres

Then I better get started.
here are no laws in Canada against mod-chips

I guess thats why I always see Xbox mods in papers in Vancouver.

Pages: [1] 2 3