xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Bible, Biblical Literalists, And Stupidity  (Read 452 times)

rms2001

• Archived User
The Bible, Biblical Literalists, And Stupidity
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Jul 19 2006, 12:27 PM) View Post

When I mention the Bible I mean King James version. And, I assume everyone else does to.

Not every one. I use the New World Translation my self. But I’d put my bible knowledge up against any ones.

This seems like an interesting thread to follow.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(rms2001 @ Aug 27 2006, 01:19 AM) View Post
...This seems like an interesting thread to follow.
It should be, but this section of of forums has become more of a battle between a few people than a place for discussions. It's not as inviting or fun anymore.

rms2001

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Aug 27 2006, 01:12 PM) View Post

It should be, but this section of of forums has become more of a battle between a few people than a place for discussions. It's not as inviting or fun anymore.

I don’t know about that. I’ve always found it fun to discuss Bible facts, truths, beliefs, ect. I know all to well how hard harded some people can be in here. Its probably been two years now, but another forum member and I were in a very heated debate with a hard headed Southern Baptist.

Don’t remember how it turned out since I went on vacation and never got back into the convocation, but it was fun non the less. The dude was about as dense as a rock though.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(rms2001 @ Aug 27 2006, 06:14 PM) View Post
I don’t know about that. I’ve always found it fun to discuss Bible facts, truths, beliefs, ect. I know all to well how hard harded some people can be in here. Its probably been two years now, but another forum member and I were in a very heated debate with a hard headed Southern Baptist.

Don’t remember how it turned out since I went on vacation and never got back into the convocation, but it was fun non the less. The dude was about as dense as a rock though.
It is fun, just not here though. It used to be, but even you said, "Its probably been two years." It just goes to show how a couple of people can ruin it for everyone and still remain in the rules of the forum.

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(juan_2006 @ Aug 27 2006, 10:47 PM) View Post

Mr.PuckSR shut up. If you dont want to believe in the Bible thats your choice. If we want to its none of your business, you have no rights to call people stupid and idiots. People can believe what they want. If you believe that the bible is not the word of god then thats ok, but you got to stop insulting people. I do believe that the bible has been edited and changed since its creation, probably some cover ups by the Catholic Church.

smile.gif

COCK SUKR COME OUT and PLAY!!!!!!!

How about you post as CHOOK some more.

LOL

puckSR

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »

How about you post as CHOOK some more.

Chook was my roommate Chuck...who now lives somewhere else....
Jha'dur...why would i have "pretended" to be Chook?  Who would pretend to be their own roommate?
If I am going to "pretend" to be someone else....wouldnt I pretend to be a "complete stranger"?
Anyways....

Mr.PuckSR shut up. If you dont want to believe in the Bible thats your choice. If we want to its none of your business, you have no rights to call people stupid and idiots. People can believe what they want. If you believe that the bible is not the word of god then thats ok, but you got to stop insulting people. I do believe that the bible has been edited and changed since its creation, probably some cover ups by the Catholic Church.

Sir, your belief in the claims of the bible is ENTIRELY your right.
I do not call people idiots for their beliefs....I call them idiots for the "proof" of their belief.

i.e.
Mormons believe a bunch of crazy stuff.  One thing that Mormons believe in is the Book of Abraham...which was apparently written by Abraham.  Joseph Smith translated an egyptian scroll that he purchased(before we could read egyptian) and claimed to have the book of Abraham.

Later, we learned how to read Egyptian.  The result?  The scroll was actually a burial scroll; a typical, plain, ordinary scroll that accompanied a mildly wealthy man.  Now...I do not attack Mormons for believing the "teachings" of the scroll.  Your beliefs are your RIGHT.  I attack them for claiming that a "text" supports their beliefs.  

If you want to claim that Elvis is still alive, be my guest.  It is your RIGHT to believe that.  However, dont try to hand me a half-eaten cheeseburger as proof.  You have no RIGHT to claim evidence when none exists.

The Bible is a collection of several texts.  Many, many, many books were written in the early days of Christendom and only a few are in the present-day bible.  The selection process seems completely random and arbitrary.  No one EVER claimed that the selection process was divinely inspired.

The books of the "New Testament" were always considered individual works.  The claim of divine inspiration for the book of revelations was not considered a claim of divine inspiration for the entirety of the bible until the fundamentalist movement of the mid 19th century.  Uneducated, excited, and avid preachers began making what could best be described as scholastically ridiculous claims.  While many things can be said against the Catholic Church, the Catholic Church always had a certain academic quality to their claims.

Fundamentalists abandoned this academic quality.  IF proof is necessary compare a modern Fundamentalist Christian proof of God against the far more scholarly works of St. Thomas Aquinas.

In closing....I do not attack the beliefs...or the believers.  I simply attack that which they hold as evidence.  Most people who hold this claim have only the most rudimentary understanding of the bible and its history.  Few people who hold to Biblical inerrency have studied the vast number of ancient texts...or bothered to learn Hebrew, Greek, and other early languages.

Thank you...I hope this conversation can remain civilized

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Aug 27 2006, 02:12 PM) View Post

You really should learn to ignore people.

I only come to this bullshit site to practice DMCA cicurmvision.

People take the internet way to SERIOUS.

I have a " real" life you should try getting one.

I know you are

But what am I

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(jha'dhur @ Aug 31 2006, 05:25 PM) View Post
I have a " real" life you should try getting one.
That sucks, I always liked my life.

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Aug 30 2006, 10:14 PM) View Post

Later, we learned how to read Egyptian.  The result?  The scroll was actually a burial scroll; a typical, plain, ordinary scroll that accompanied a mildly wealthy man.  Now...I do not attack Mormons for believing the "teachings" of the scroll.  Your beliefs are your RIGHT.  I attack them for claiming that a "text" supports their beliefs.  

The deciphering of the Egyptian hieroglyphics brought the culture of the Pharaohs to light, and the educated classes of Europe gained insight into this fascinating subject. Soon, many amateur archaeologists were on their way to fame and fortune, finding fabulous monuments and other treasures. Museums throughout Europe and America vied with each other to house these marvelous finds. The treasure-laden tomb of Tutankhamen, discovered in 1922, was one of the most spectacular. Many early archaeologists would be honored for their efforts and would become a part of history in their own right.

The archaeologist's spade has uncovered evidence of other ancient peoples mentioned in Scripture. One such example is the Hittite kingdom, mentioned only in the Bible, which had been dismissed by many critics as mythological. As Gleason Archer mentions: "The references [in the Bible] to the Hittites were treated with incredulity and condemned as mere fiction on the part of late authors of the Torah" (A Survey of Old Testament Introduction, 1974, p. 165). Yet, excavations in Syria and Turkey revealed many Hittite monuments and documents. These discoveries proved the Hittites to have been a mighty nation, with an empire extending from Asia Minor to parts of Israel.

The norhtern africans seem to have a written account of the exodus of the 12 israelite tribes from africa, written in glyphs in the great pyramid.

I know you dont watch real television but a very persuasive arguemnt as well as archaeological proof of the exodus was detailed in a History Channel documentary Exodus Decoded.

This documnetary pretty much proves the historical accuracy of the biblical account. Even down to the 12 plagues brought down on egypt as a result of localized volcanic activity.

You should watch history channel special it proves this entire premise/thread BOGUS..

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Sep 13 2006, 01:13 AM) View Post

Umm...i was arguing against Mormons...not the Hebrew bible
Are you just retarded...and incapable of actually reading?

Also...as i have said before...we have validated parts of Homer's Illiad as fact.  Homer's Illiad was the only evidence for the trojan war...
However, that doesn't prove that Homer's Illiad is a historical document.  It just proves that Homer alluded to some true historical events and people.
This is similiar to the Torah...which also probably alludes to some true historical events and people...
But forgetting all of that...

You took my quote about Mormons....which is TRUE by the way...and used it on the Torah?
I dont believe the "book of Abraham" is in the Torah

QUOTE(puckSR @ Jul 19 2006, 08:43 PM) View Post

Massive editing and changing of Christians texts was so common that the Revelations of John actually contains a warning against editing it....

Where have I mentioned book of mormon or Torah, yet in every other post of yours you use "christian" and "bible".
Which seems to indicate the bible. But in any case your usual tactic of active semantics is futile, given all these books echoe each other in theme.

Archeaology has proven the events of exodus.  No one is arguing the bible is perfectly exact but what I am implying is that you arent smart enough to discredit it with your trivial ramblings.

And now your backtracking your own BOGUS notions.

I didnt say bible, (although thats the title of the frackin thread)

MORON

QUOTE(puckSR @ Jul 18 2006, 07:49 PM) View Post

So, why do you all still listen to my crap?

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Sep 13 2006, 02:38 PM) View Post

You posted a reply to something I said.....without actually paying attention to what I was saying...
Archaeology has NOT proven the events of Exodus.  
1.  The book of Exodus claims more people left Egypt than the ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE NILE VALLEY.  Not by a couple thousand, but by a few orders of magnitude.
2.  Slavery didnt even exist at the time of the Exodus.  The concept of "owning another human being" did not come into existence until much later.  Especially on the grandiose scale that Exodus predicts.  
3.  No reference to Moses has EVER been found, nor to quick, rapid order of plagues found in Exodus

All that you have in support of your book:
1.  It mentions a civilization that was lost to antiquity, and only recently confirmed by alternative texts
2.  We have found reference to a society that closely resembles what we believe was the society of early Hebrews.

Could you provide a source for the
"ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE NILE VALLEY."

Slavery didnt even exist at the time of the Exodus.  The concept of "owning another human being" did not come into existence until much later.  Especially on the grandiose scale that Exodus predicts.  

Who then constructed the pyramids littered across the african continent.

Again, a source other than your own misguidings.

QUOTE(puckSR @ Sep 13 2006, 02:38 PM) View Post

I can discredit the "absolute" accuracy of the bible.  I am also fully prepared and capable to discredit various passages and sections of the bible.

You arent doing to well so far. But I am not going to argue with you because you are just plain stubborn.
And the general theme of your position is in direct contradiction of findings in N. Africa, and middle east.

It is not my work I have no stake in egyptologists findings, but scores of researchers and scholars dispute your simple understanding.

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Sep 13 2006, 08:52 PM) View Post

But you cant give me a single link?

Decoding Exodus shown on history channel

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(puckSR @ Sep 14 2006, 02:59 PM) View Post

Ok...I hate to shake up your "world view"....
but a History Channel special is not equivocal to "scores of research and opinions of scholars".

If so much evidence supports your view...then you should have no problem finding legitimate sites and papers that support it.

I believe the guys being interviewed and providing narrative to this history channel special were "researchers and scholars"

They were at the least guys that do it for a living unlike YOU and ME.

TheSchonk

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(pug_ster @ Jul 19 2006, 01:27 PM) View Post

Most of the christian leaders believe that abortion, and gay Marriage is wrong when you never heard Jesus Christ saying anything about it.

Exodus 20:13- You must not murder.

Genesis 2:18, 24- And the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make a helper comparable to him."
                          Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Exodus 20:14- You must not commit adultery

God created adam and eve, not adam and steve!

QUOTE(puckSR @ Jul 19 2006, 04:05 PM) View Post

Ok...but how many good things have been done in the name of the Bible?

The creation of you and me, the creation of this earth and everthing on it for you and me, the many people that jesus healed and last but not least, the sacrifice of our lord and savior jesus christ who came down hear and died for all of us, and all he asked is for us to believe in and except his death so he could forgive us of our sins.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 04:20:00 AM »

^^^
The Bible was written after those things allegedly took place.

What Puck was trying to say was a lot of bad has been done using the Bible as a reference. Even if it was misinterpreted.

Also, not trying to be a jerk, you spelled accept wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4