xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Evil Of Walmart  (Read 95 times)

MaxMuscleWear

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »

Hey guys, i remember awhile back there was a topic on how terrible Walmart is because of their low wage policies that lets them sell at cheap prices. I'm doing a research paper on the "evil" side of Walmart. Does anyone one have any input on Walmart and if they do, could  you post some links  to the articles. Your help is appreciated.

damam

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »

its not there low wages that tick people off - its the fact that they are poor community partners.

they pay low wages so that they can lower costs.  they also dont employ anyone full time, so they dont have to pay any benefits.  this enables them to lower costs and at the same throw the burden back on the community at large for taking care of their employees when it comes to SS and health care.  Once they have driven all the competition out of business, they jack up the prices and increase profit margins.  

you ought to be able to find stats for how much a walmart costs the community at large when one comes in.  their are a couple of states that have imposed laws more or less targeting them because they become a burden to the community rather than an assett.

MaxMuscleWear

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Ill look into that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

throwingks

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »

I dont agree one way or another, but to play devils advocate.
I never heard that they dont hire anyone full time. I had the understanding that they paid their emplyees (mostly high school or GED education) more than the national average for their education level.
http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=4728291&nav=0RbQ
They employ people that might possibly not be able to get a job with the same benefits without a Walmart in their community.
There are some movies about Walmart you should watch them.
Against Walmart links:
http://www.walmartmovie.com/
http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/
and the Walmart rebuttle made in its defense.
http://www.walmartfacts.com/
http://www.walmartfacts.com/docs/1448_oct2..._1739510389.pdf
I havent really read any of the sites.

This post has been edited by throwingks: Apr 5 2006, 04:52 PM

puckSR

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

they have a policy of keeping their full-time labor to a minimum...just go to walmart and ask an employee

they also have a strong policy of "forcing" themselves on a community...this is more applicable to small town america....rather than urban america....

one current theory is that they are building a lot of larger stores in small towns(supercenters) to artificially increase profit.  in other words they are hiding their lack of profit increases in "construction" costs....

they are the most powerful retailer in the world, and have carte blanche to control the manufacturers...rather than the manufacturer dictating price

they also have notoriously poor business scruples...just look at their alien employee problem.....

they also have a rather interesting practice of management.  a standard employee cannot rise thru the ranks...managers are hired straight out of college...or from other stores.  their managers, interestingly enough, have some of the best wages in the corporate world....

hope that helps you out

lordvader129

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »

and for a good laugh watch the south park episode "somethign wallmart this way comes" good stuff

jha'dhur

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(damam @ Apr 5 2006, 09:50 AM) *

its not there low wages that tick people off - its the fact that they are poor community partners.

they pay low wages so that they can lower costs.  they also dont employ anyone full time, so they dont have to pay any benefits.  this enables them to lower costs and at the same throw the burden back on the community at large for taking care of their employees when it comes to SS and health care.  Once they have driven all the competition out of business, they jack up the prices and increase profit margins.  

you ought to be able to find stats for how much a walmart costs the community at large when one comes in.  their are a couple of states that have imposed laws more or less targeting them because they become a burden to the community rather than an assett.

That describes a good portion of american businesses. Why only throw stones at Wal-Mart. There competition is the same only with higher prices.

Its called capitalism.

puckSR

• Archived User
The Evil Of Walmart
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

Its called capitalism.

Yeah...its a good thing that we arent a true capitalism....

The US govt frequently intervenes when a companies business practices are harmful to the economic stability of the nation, or when a company is undermining an industry for self-serving purposes....

The most common example of this intervention is Anti-Trust laws....

I can already anticipate jha'dhur's response
"The US is truly capitalistic"....followed by some insulting comment, and a GIF about how Im full of shit

In which case I ask him to explain govt subsidies, the SEC, and Anti-Trust laws, minimum wages, OSHA, or the Department of Labor.....
All of which are examples of govt intervention...which would be a complete violation of true capitalism...but instead an example of a govt regulated economy based on a capitalistic model....

This post has been edited by puckSR: Apr 6 2006, 12:05 AM