xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Patriot Act And Meth  (Read 308 times)

damam

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

so they managed to weasle in an anti-meth measure into the patriot act

uhmm, yeah that makes sense rolleyes.gif

link

C o s m o

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

I don't have a huge problem with it.  Meth has become a COLOSSAL problem in the US.  Those who have not been affected by it probably won't get it, and that's completely understandable.  It is odd that they worked this into a bill supposedly for anti-terrorist stuff.  Not many terrorists manufacturing meth...mostly white trash a-holes.
But as fat as the regulations themselves, I'm OK with this...and I'm fairly liberal on most things.

pug_ster

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

But what does Meth have to with Patriot Act?  It makes as much sense as having FEMA to be a part of Homeland Security.

C o s m o

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »

I get what you are saying.  To be honest, and I have read the original Patriot Act (HR 3162), and I can not find anywhere that this concretly relates.  There are hazmat limitations, immigration provisions, and money laundering provisions, which I guess work uhh.gif
This may be one of those "end justifying the means" situations.

bluedeath

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

The larger more industrious dealers will certainly jump for joy.  This does nothing more than stop the small time addicts from making their own.  Maybe...

damam

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »

theres a handful of senators (mostly dems) that have been trying to weasle in anti-meth legislation, but have not been able too to date.  hold out on the patriot act was just a bargainig chip to get there legislation in.  I wrote it more because I hate christmas tree legislation.  Thats how ridiculous laws get created in the first place.  

I agree with BD, this wont change anything really.  The main suppliers wont be effected.  I might have fewer garage fires in my neighborhood, but that will be about it.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »

i had the flu about 3 weeks ago, i had to go to the store every day to buy cough syrup because the bastards wouldnt sell me the large bottle of robitussin

therebelious1

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »

when you say meth what do you mean?
crystal meth?
methanol?
methylated spirits?
methane?
method man?
methodists?

sorry for being a little dumb....

C o s m o

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(therebelious1 @ Feb 15 2006, 08:33 AM) View Post

when you say meth what do you mean?
crystal meth?
methanol?
methylated spirits?
methane?
method man?
methodists?

sorry for being a little dumb....

Meth as in Crystal Meth, aka crank.
QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Feb 14 2006, 07:05 PM) View Post

i had the flu about 3 weeks ago, i had to go to the store every day to buy cough syrup because the bastards wouldnt sell me the large bottle of robitussin

That's just stupid.
QUOTE(damam @ Feb 14 2006, 06:28 PM) View Post

I wrote it more because I hate christmas tree legislation.  Thats how ridiculous laws get created in the first place.  
Very true.

pug_ster

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »

I guess that Republicans want Patriot Act passed, and Democrats want anti-meth legistlation.  And that is how they can get a compromise.

http://talent.senate...cfm?NewsID=1531

CattyKid

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »

Being a person that is luckily relatively sheltered, what real affects does meth have on people who don't use it themselves or do not have friends that use it?  I would be interested to learn more about this.
Thanks for curing the diserase I call ignorance. bdaybiggrin.gif

C o s m o

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Feb 15 2006, 11:18 PM) View Post

Being a person that is luckily relatively sheltered, what real affects does meth have on people who don't use it themselves or do not have friends that use it?  I would be interested to learn more about this.
Thanks for curing the diserase I call ignorance. bdaybiggrin.gif

laugh.gif I wouldn't call you ignorant.  Ignorant wouldn't ask this question.  You're actually fairly enlightened for a guy your age.

Not only is there a taxpayer burden, but meth addicts become unbelieveably lazy.  They exist only to serve their addiction.  The end result is that they steal, both to buy drugs and to eat.  

Addicted parents expose their kids to all manner of risks.  Some old neighbors of mine were meth addicts.  They would shoot-up and have sex in the house, but their 3 kids were sent outside.  The kids were severely neglected; they lacked basic human involvement.  They were needy as hell.  In the winter (now it doesn't get THAT cold in Texas, but...) they would be outside with a shirt and pants.  That's it.  EVERYTHING they owned was handed-down.  My wife and I quietly would give them clothes, and they wore them rather proudly.  Non the less, the kids are growing up raising themselves.

Meth manufacturers steal too.  They frequently steal chemicals needed to make it-sudaphed, ammonia, etc.  Manufacturers also pose MAJOR health risks to the general public and police.  The making of Meth produces serious harmful/fatal toxins, and meth labs frequently explode for a number of reasons, mainly the combination of fire and chemicals.

damam

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »

Meth is cheap and pretty easy to make, making it very easy to come by.  

make no mistake, meth is bad for families and society.  I have had friends waste there lives on it.  But in the end it comes down to choice, and we should only limit that in extreme situations.  Meth does not warrant an extreme situation.  

CattyKid

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

Thanks for your replies, guys. I appreciate it.
Usually, at least in my small town, we are fed all those videos that seem to choose the WORST experiences (aren't many poisitive experiences with drugs, though) people have had due to something bad and pose it as the norm.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Now that I've heard something from someone that isn't biased or really trying to convince me of anything (esp. Cosmo) it helps.  I thank you for that.
Being in a small, pretty safe town, there are some advantages and some disadvantages.  
Advantages: Safety, people care about each other more.

Disadvantages: Sometimes you don't find out how the world really works or how to refuse some really bad things until "everyone is doing it" and it becomes too late.  So many people in from my school (previous Seniors) have gone to college and done bad things (become alcoholics etc.).  And they were "good" kids before this.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Patriot Act And Meth
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »

Gotta love those riders  dry.gif

I suppose its not a bad thing to have on the patriot act, but this needs to stop, we need to limit the riders that are put on bills proposed to the house... This is how we get ridiculous laws...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4