xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xbox Modders Charged with Copyright Crime  (Read 428 times)

xmodem

• Archived User
Xbox Modders Charged with Copyright Crime
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 12:27:00 AM »

selling an xbox WITH pirated games...ok thats wrong fair enough...

but can anyone else here say: "ENTRAPMENT"?
"A defense to criminal charges alleging that agents of the government induced a person to commit a crime he or she otherwise would not have committed."

http://www.google.co...fine:entrapment

DeliriousAmI

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 12:35:00 AM »

maybe they offered it and the officers never mentioned it.  Just went along with it.  Therefore it wouldn't be entrapment.  I mod boxes.  But all I do are case mods and chip installations.  No hard drive upgrades, or software installation.  If they want it they'll figure it out.

anttimonty

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 01:19:00 AM »

Seriously it is stupid and illegal to sell pirated games,  but five years in prison  ph34r.gif  Thats like something you get from a rape... Half a year should be fine if any... or just a BIG ticket.

r50la

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 01:31:00 AM »

damn patrick, whyyy!!????

we'll be there for ya bro

MetalMickey

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 01:37:00 AM »

Two owners of a Los Angeles game store and a third man face a up to five years in prison on charges filed Monday in a federal copyright infringement case for selling modified Xbox game consoles, prosecutors said.

Nonsense. They face the charges for distributing pirated games, which gets one line later in the story.

cONEction

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »

Stop posting this kind of news with that stupid title , there is no fucking way one can be charged with crime when modding XBOXs, he is actually charged for selling games, this kind of news spread toward the world saying modifying xbox is illegal, and you can go to prison , thats bullshit. and people actually believe that stuff  grr.gif

deanrparry

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 04:04:00 AM »

Give M$ a chance to look at what a real media center should work like  smile.gif

sentinel0

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 04:38:00 AM »

This thread was not posted to scare us people with modded xbox's it just letting us know that there was a couple idiot's in cali that got busted pirating games.  I'm nervous selling modded xbox's just pre-flashed.  But i've sold box's to some backwoods people.  It would be like a bios what the hells a bios what i need it for type shit.  Sucks for these guys but someone made a good point about why 77 games thats quite a few.

Phizzy

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 06:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(cONEction @ Dec 20 2005, 03:51 AM) View Post
Stop posting this kind of news with that stupid title , there is no fucking way one can be charged with crime when modding XBOXs, he is actually charged for selling games, this kind of news spread toward the world saying modifying xbox is illegal, and you can go to prison , thats bullshit. and people actually believe that stuff  grr.gif

I don't know, several years ago thousands of people were buying smart card readers in order to hack their DirecTV access cards in order to received free programming. Because smart card readers truly have many legitimate and legal uses, these people thought they were safe. However, tens of thousands of these people have received demand letters from DirecTV asking for damages (minimum $3500), and thousands have been sued. As I already stated, smart card readers are legal. DirecTV, though, is making assumptions that these people are pirating their signal based on where they purchased the smart card reader (such as sites that discuss pirating the signal) or based on the fact that they bought a smart card reader and participated in forums discussing pirating DirecTV's signal or simply based on the the fact that they bought a smart card reader and are customers of DirectTV. Obviously, these are somewhat wild assumptions, and the demand letters and lawsuits are BS. It hasn't stopped DirecTV from collecting $millions, though. More info, see forums under DTV Legal Info.

cONEction

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 07:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(Phizzy @ Dec 20 2005, 02:35 PM) View Post

I don't know, several years ago thousands of people were buying smart card readers in order to hack their DirecTV access cards in order to received free programming. Because smart card readers truly have many legitimate and legal uses, these people thought they were safe. However, tens of thousands of these people have received demand letters from DirecTV asking for damages (minimum $3500), and thousands have been sued. As I already stated, smart card readers are legal. DirecTV, though, is making assumptions that these people are pirating their signal based on where they purchased the smart card reader (such as sites that discuss pirating the signal) or based on the fact that they bought a smart card reader and participated in forums discussing pirating DirecTV's signal or simply based on the the fact that they bought a smart card reader and are customers of DirectTV. Obviously, these are somewhat wild assumptions, and the demand letters and lawsuits are BS. It hasn't stopped DirecTV from collecting $millions, though. More info, see forums under DTV Legal Info.

I dont know anything about DirectTV, I think thats the difference between US and Europe, in Europe there is no way company's like DirectTV can sue anyone and there is no way you can get busted for modding XBOXs, The only thing you can get busted for is for selling pirated games and working without paying taxes  smile.gif

blagmaster

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Dec 20 2005, 06:17 AM) View Post

Hmm, that sucks.

I've sold a LOT of modded Xboxes, but I've never gone as far as to put games on em, or sell em in a retail store. Stupid.

In my installs it's more like "OK, here's DVD2Xbox, but what you do with it is your own thing, aight?"

Just gotta stay smart, people.

YOU PIRATE:O

You are modding Xboxes and putting XDK compiled software on it, that's illegal man.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Dec 19 2005, 06:17 PM) View Post

Hmm, that sucks.

I've sold a LOT of modded Xboxes, but I've never gone as far as to put games on em, or sell em in a retail store. Stupid.

In my installs it's more like "OK, here's DVD2Xbox, but what you do with it is your own thing, aight?"

Just gotta stay smart, people.

I dont even go as far as installing anything with XDK.  I install the chip with legal bios and hard drive (thats only been wiped).  Then I give them very easy to follow printouts off the web of what they can do with it if they like.  Generally speaking people can get there stuff up and going with the instructions.  Ive had a couple people get pissed off at me, at which point I just shrug and say ill take back the chip and HDD free of charge.  Usually they say "no no Ill figure it out."  It may be paranoia, but Im not going to risk going to jail, especially now that Im a mom.  And you never know when M$ will start cracking down on its compiler.  The funniest part is that modding xbox is soooooo easy compared to other consoles it suprises me that people actually hire me to do it.  A suckers born every  . . . what? . . .  nano second these days.

BlackRanger3d

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Phizzy @ Dec 20 2005, 08:35 AM) View Post

The main reason that this kind of lawsuit works is that "most" people would rather pay the fine then take a change with hiring an uber expensive lawyer.

And selling the games was just stupid.

webslinginwr22

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(NerdENerd @ Dec 20 2005, 01:53 AM) View Post

Do you not realise that you are still using pirated software in you emulator. people have actually been busted for installing emulators with roms as well. there is no difference between copying the latest Xbox game of copying a 10 year old game in the eyes of the law. Might be legal if you have a copy of the cartridge in the cupboard but how many of us have a couple of hundred cartridges in the cupboard to cover us for all those roms we have installed.

I remember reading or seeing on the news not too long ago that emulators and roms were legal since those games arent being produced anymore. I dont remember where i read that so dont hold me to it.

JoBlo69

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »

I have a halo xbox with a 500 gig hdd in it... ten's of thousands of roms in it and a shit load of xbox games...

I am not worried at all that M$ is going to hunt little old me down for ripping off a few grand in xbox games over the last few years... but i guess if M$ wants to make an example out of me they could with out a problem...

All im saying is that M$ knows everyone and there grandma eather knows how or has a modded xbox...

M$ as this thing called preception that they are trying to use on the public... and its working... they really dont care that "JoBlo" has a modded xbox, all they want to do is bust the dumb shits that are to retardd to figure out the right way to sell modded xbox's...

I have been selling and modding xbox's for the last 2 years... and its bringing in over twice as much as my 4 year degree in CS...
Pages: 1 [2] 3