xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Patriot Act  (Read 115 times)

CattyKid

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« on: June 14, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »

Anyone familiar with the Patriot Act, what is your take on it?

If you think it is a positive, do you realize that the government seems to need to know what books you check out from libraries or buy?  Do you realize that almost every site you access, telephone or email conversation you have, IM you send (no matter how "secure") is stored in some basement somewhere on an HDD platter in the interests of "preventing terrorism?"  

Goodbye 4th Amendment.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »

its is a useful tool in some senses, but do the few (probably very few) cases of terrorism prevented by logging what sites eveyone checks outweigh the fact we lost some freedom. hell no. of course i dont know a whole lot on the whole Patriot Act, only what ive heard from the media, so i cant really form an educated opinion on the matter

damam

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »

Do you realize that almost every site you access, telephone or email conversation you have, IM you send (no matter how "secure") is stored in some basement somewhere on an HDD platter in the interests of "preventing terrorism?"

Again, that did not start with the Patriot Act.  Echelon has been doing that for atleast 6 years, probably longer.  

It is a strange thing is how few states have actually opposed the Patriot Act.  Vermont, Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Montana and Idaho are the only states that have passed resolutions demanding that congress bring the patriot act in alignment with the constitution.  

Section 203, is the section that I take most issue with.  Its the one that basically allows foreign intelligents agents to spy on US citizens.  it tears down the walls between foreign and domestic intelligents.  does it increase our safety?  probably.  But the cost is too high.

Lastly, the patriot act provisions that are expiring will not get in as is.  Too many Repubs and Dems dont like it as it is.  Bush can veto all he wants, it will not get passed the way he wants it.

Colonel32 - how exactly was it used?

-XboX-Abuser-

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 10:14:00 AM »

The Patriot Act was written months and possibly a few years before 9/11 took place... I believe it was something like 3000 pages according to one congressman..

If it was 3000 pages, they certainly didn't come up with it in a matter of a month after the 9/11 attacks..

-XBA

Code-Red

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 06:17:00 PM »

The only tools are the American people who allow this type of shit to happen. You'd have to be a complete moron to give up your rights like this. And give it up you did. Fuck Bush and everyone who supports him.

I stand by my comments. I would die before I let some shitface dictator like George Dub casually walk into my house and see what I'm doing.

Jaguar God Imix

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(Code-Red @ Jun 19 2005, 08:28 PM)
The only tools are the American people who allow this type of shit to happen. You'd have to be a complete moron to give up your rights like this. And give it up you did. Fuck Bush and everyone who supports him.

CattyKid

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

Wow, Damam, that's some pretty deep stuff.  Are you interested in it, or did you do research because of a message board post?  Anyway, that's a lot of good info, thanks.

EDIT: Code-Red, where do you live?  Just wondering.

SNMNMNM!

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »

He's Canadian, and he wouldn't do a fucking thing if storm troopers raided his home, he'd get his ass kicked and put in place like the bitch he is, I don't see why the fuck people complain about shit they have ABSOLUTELY ZERO CONTROL OVER. Piss off pricks, the fucking world doesn't revolve around you; no one cares what the fuck you have to say because in the end it doesn't amount to shit, because you are nothing; a nobody.

Capon-E

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 11:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(SNMNMNM! @ Jul 2 2005, 12:24 AM)
He's Canadian, and he wouldn't do a fucking thing if storm troopers raided his home, he'd get his ass kicked and put in place like the bitch he is, I don't see why the fuck people complain about shit they have ABSOLUTELY ZERO CONTROL OVER. Piss off pricks, the fucking world doesn't revolve around you; no one cares what the fuck you have to say because in the end it doesn't amount to shit, because you are nothing; a nobody.

damam

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »

The Patriot Act was written months and possibly a few years before 9/11 took place... I believe it was something like 3000 pages according to one congressman..

If it was 3000 pages, they certainly didn't come up with it in a matter of a month after the 9/11 attacks..

-XBA

Congress is well known for its ability to create vasts amounts legal documents in hours.  A month would have been no problem at all.

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Jul 1 2005, 08:24 AM)
Wow, Damam, that's some pretty deep stuff.  Are you interested in it, or did you do research because of a message board post?  Anyway, that's a lot of good info, thanks.

I wrote a paper on the patriot act for college a ways back (also wrote one on FISA).  The only info that was not in my paper that was in the post was in local newspaper congratualating our legislature for demanding that congress bring the patriot act into alignment with the constitution.  Really though it illustrates how uninformed our legislature is about things like FISA.

thesideinguy

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 11:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Jun 14 2005, 06:15 PM)
Goodbye 4th Amendment.

Jaguar God Imix

• Archived User
The Patriot Act
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(thesideinguy @ Jul 3 2005, 01:53 AM)
hello mark of the beast.