xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Abbass And His Policies  (Read 163 times)

gronne

• Archived User
Abbass And His Policies
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 07:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(jbp20717 @ Feb 9 2005, 01:33 PM)
Exactly, Abbas doesn't control Hamas or any of the other Palestinian militant groups any more than Sinn Fein controls the IRA.  These groups, somewhat understandibly, will want the Israelis to withdraw from both the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, which just isn't going to happen.  A lot has been said about Abbas finally being able to bring peace to the region, but until Isreal withdraw to the UN borders, I don't think they will be any concrete improvements in the situation.

damam

• Archived User
Abbass And His Policies
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »

that was my first point.  He doesnt control hamas or hezbollah but he has taken them on.  He also has the support of 62% of the palestenians on this (it was part of his election platform), so hamas and hezbollah know they are in the minority and that it is the will of the majority that they stop for now.  

Hamas is doing a lot of machismo type posturing.  Like demanding that all Palestenian prisoners to be released (8000 in total) before they will agree to a cease fire instead of the 900 sharon offered.  Even if sharon was willing to give up all 8000, Abbas doesnt want them all quite yet.

This ceasefire is tenous at best and anything could set it off.  The one thing that would not suprise me is if we start seeing Israeli citizens (not IDF) fireing on the Palestenians.  The US is demanding that sharon re-locate roughly 10,000 Israeli citizens now in order to keep up with Abbas and his willingness to follow the "roadmap".  What are the odds that at least one person in that group that will be willing to take a sniper shot and kill a palestenian.  The reason is that this situation is so unstable right now that it would only take one incident to tear it apart.  Then the Israelis could stay right where they are.
Pages: 1 [2]