xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Official Language Of The United States?  (Read 442 times)

Boba_Fett

• Archived User
Official Language Of The United States?
« on: January 08, 2005, 10:30:00 AM »

This one is weird. I recently got dinged in a college essay for claiming that the official language of the US was English. An easy assumption, right? Well, I guess not. Apparently, (according to my professor and a few other credible sources) there is no official language of the US due to minority groups jamming up the works whenever it is discussed. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that sound really retarded? Go to southern California if you don't think this is a big deal. It is nearly impossible to find an English speaking person in certain areas down there. At first I was really offended that people refused to learn our official language, but now that I know there is no official language it's pretty much "no harm no foul". Very lame... As the mexican revolution continues to saturate the US's southern boarders (it can be other non-native english speaking manorites too, but from what I've seen, the vast majority of asian immigrants at least make an attempt at learning English before getting here), I forsee this to becomming an even greater problem that it is now.

And no, I'm not racist. I just hate others trying to force their "culture" down my throat when they come into my country... Is it that hard to learn English?

PolkM

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Boba_Fett @ Jan 8 2005, 12:01 PM)
This one is weird. I recently got dinged in a college essay for claiming that the official language of the US was English. An easy assumption, right? Well, I guess not. Apparently, (according to my professor and a few other credible sources) there is no official language of the US due to minority groups jamming up the works whenever it is discussed. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that sound really retarded? Go to southern California if you don't think this is a big deal. It is nearly impossible to find an English speaking person in certain areas down there. At first I was really offended that people refused to learn our official language, but now that I know there is no official language it's pretty much "no harm no foul". Very lame... As the mexican revolution continues to saturate the US's southern boarders (it can be other non-native english speaking manorites too, but from what I've seen, the vast majority of asian immigrants at least make an attempt at learning English before getting here), I forsee this to becomming an even greater problem that it is now.

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 10:59:00 AM »

Isn't English the universal language?

edit: By this I mean isn't it spoken more than any other language in the world?

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »

um no, try mandarin... wink.gif

fishlord

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »

mandarin is the native language of the most people (ie first language they learn), but english is spoken by more people than any other language (ie most people who learn a second language that dont already speak english learn english)

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »

actually french is the most common secondary language...

link...
and to those who say its stats from 1998, language trends dont change that quickly...  wink.gif

fishlord

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »

but...

native + secondary gives english as the most widely spoken language...

and im not sure about some of those numbers... english at 330 million is only US + canada...

Boba_Fett

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(celinedrules @ Jan 8 2005, 07:30 PM)
Isn't English the universal language?

SKoT

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »

because it is.

if you live in America you should have to speak English. Plain and simple.

melon

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »

We have the same increasing people with a lot of imigrants coming in from Pakistan and Iraq, Lebonon and Eastern Europe. It is annoying when people dont speak English but they usually stay in there own little areas where you dont need to speak English. Its not really a major problem to you is it? Surely it only effects you when you travel to the established community of a minority? Our countries are meant to be free countries. Don't they have a rite to do what they want? It's pointless and cruel to bring in rules to force people to learn a language they will use sparingly anyway.

Boba_Fett

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(melon @ Jan 9 2005, 12:47 AM)
Don't they have a rite to do what they want? It's pointless and cruel to bring in rules to force people to learn a language they will use sparingly anyway.

melon

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »

I find that the kids and younger generations ar picking English up. In an emergency situation you have to deal with it. Its there choice afterall.

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »

Don't you have to take some kind of test to become a US citizen? It should be an English test.

bluedeath

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »

I would like the british to learn the english language so I can understand them.

EverythingButAnAnswer

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 09:09:00 PM »

England: Where bad teeth meets bad food.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4