xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Apple Being Sued By Itunes Member  (Read 140 times)

shanafan

• Archived User
Apple Being Sued By Itunes Member
« on: January 07, 2005, 03:09:00 AM »

http://channels.aimt.../2105531173.htm

Californian Thomas Slattery is hoping for unspecified damages for being "forced" to buy an iPod, one of the most successful electronics products in years... Slattery called himself an iTunes customer who "was also forced to purchase an Apple iPod" if he wanted to take his music with him to listen to.

If this guy did have a brain, he would Google conversion software, and realize that you can convert the iTunes format to MP3, and then play it on everything. But, he is a fool and doesn't get the connection between the iTunes store and the iPod.

But wait! He might be on to something.. I should sue Sony because their DVD format games will not work on my XBox. Genius

Yuyu

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »

Sounds like a guy wtih an idea and a crack pot attourney willing to get some free press out of the thing... I'm sure the guy will get something out of the deal whether he winds up winning or not. Coming up with a good "quick cash" court case is kind of a niche in the inventors category of things nowadays...

itsmee129

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »

also sounds like a guy that just wants some Xtra money

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »

naw he won't get a thing....... if all Mike Row (remember MikeRowSoft) got was an xbox and a ticket to an electronics show, this guy won't get shit.

awww remember how cute that mike row thing turned out?  love.gif

sp00nz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(shanafan @ Jan 7 2005, 11:40 AM)

EvilWays

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(sp00nz @ Jan 23 2005, 07:27 PM)
Because you arnt ALLOWED TO CONVERT THE SONGS.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »

But the RIAA/MPAA, despite the extreme prices, isn't selling you the music.  They're basically just licensing it to you for fair use.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(The unProfessional @ Jan 24 2005, 09:05 AM)
But the RIAA/MPAA, despite the extreme prices, isn't selling you the music.  They're basically just licensing it to you for fair use.

can you believe the RIAA used to (atleast I dont think they do anymore) charge businesses per listener that was in earshot of a radio that more than one person could hear.  Talk about absurdity.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

What truly amazes me is they were ever to adopt such insane policies.  As consumers, we're supposed to let the market know what we'll allow.  Those business should've reacted to the RIAA by telling them to go screw a fence-post.  We need to stand our ground otherwise the sky is the limit for advertisers and the like.  If we're not careful now, we'll someday be looking at shitty Pepsi and Sony ads displayed from satellites polluting the starry night sky.

Sometimes I wonder why people put up with so much shit... draw the line somewhere, guys... seriously.  I don't put up with much of what companies and advertisers do already... so on principle, I boycott alot of products.  Unfortunately, it has no effect because so many people are so easily duped.

A side note: My friend's cable just got cancelled because his girlfriend downloaded a few episodes of Charmed.  Pretty sad, really.

Myself, on the other hand, will continue downloading movies until Hollywood can provide us with some original scripts.  Anyone else notice 2004 was pretty much nothing but sequels?  ... and 2005 is thus far following an identical trend.  Let the bits flow, people  beerchug.gif

pepsik

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 05:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(The unProfessional @ Jan 25 2005, 01:10 AM)
Myself, on the other hand, will continue downloading movies until Hollywood can provide us with some original scripts.  Anyone else notice 2004 was pretty much nothing but sequels?  ... and 2005 is thus far following an identical trend.  Let the bits flow, people  beerchug.gif

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(sp00nz @ Jan 23 2005, 12:27 PM)
Because you arnt ALLOWED TO CONVERT THE SONGS.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »

.. this may just be a Canadian's point of view, but 95% of the lawsuits I read about in American news are ridiculous 

Actually no, they're just as ridiculous to Americans.  Frankly, We'd be better off with a 3-foot prostitute chimpanzee on the bench than some of our judges.

The problem is the modern judge in American has a personal/political agenda and has absolutely no regard for self-responsibility, rationality, or even sanity for that matter.  They use their position to further their @*#$'d up causes.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(The unProfessional @ Jan 24 2005, 07:10 PM)
What truly amazes me is they were ever to adopt such insane policies.  As consumers, we're supposed to let the market know what we'll allow.  Those business should've reacted to the RIAA by telling them to go screw a fence-post.  We need to stand our ground otherwise the sky is the limit for advertisers and the like.  If we're not careful now, we'll someday be looking at shitty Pepsi and Sony ads displayed from satellites polluting the starry night sky.

revelashon

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 12:04:00 AM »

Although I doubt that this guy will actually win this case, I do agree with his point of view. Shanafan your argument is close but Sony's PS2 dvds are nothing like mp3s. PS2 games are coded and built for with the PS2s instruction set, and there is no reasonable way to convert the games. Furthermore, Sony created the PS2 and the format for its games (not the medium itself) and therefore likely has patents on the process of creating PS2 games. Apple did not creat nor do the own the mp3 format. It's fine if they want to restrict the use of their own format of music, but they are restricting the use of a format that requires no proprietary hardware or software to decode. If they are going to allow you to create mp3s, then why shouldn't they work in an mp3 player. Its similar to the case of audio CDs not playing in computers without copy protection software installed (Janet Jackson's latest is an example), except in that case the means to play the cds (and consequently rip them) was included on the disk. A solution to this problem would be to allow people to purchase a music liscense that can be installed onto any mp3 player (this would require the concerted effort of all mp3 player manufacturers) thus allowing people to transfer their music to any device they see fit. Of course this raises other problems: what's stopping people from sharing a liscence (perhaps each liscense is based on the serial number of the device embedded in firmware preventing it fromfunctioning on another device. That would mean a separate liscence would be needed for each registered device. Anyways, the point is that their current method is needlessly restricting. What's the point of allowing mp3 conversion if I can't use it anywhere else? That's enough ranting for one night.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »

On the thought of special hardware licensing: Why should Joe Schmoe (You and Me) have to pay higher end-user prices so the manufacturers can offset increased production costs because [Unoriginal Corporation A] is hell-bent on controlling something they can never control (nor should they be allowed to control it)

I like to think that the rest of the consumer market would join me on such a cause when it comes to giving the Big Wigs the finger when they step over the line.

A desperate corporation should never have the ability to control the availability of global standards, be it Mp3, Divx, etc.
Pages: [1] 2