xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Charles Martel And The Battle Of Tours  (Read 80 times)

Shoue

• Archived User
Charles Martel And The Battle Of Tours
« on: December 14, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

I have got a history paper due and dediced to do the battle of tours or poitiers and am trying to think of a thesis.  From my research, I have learned that it can go either way on the significant or unsignificant issue, so I decided to turn here.  

What are your views on the impact of the battle? Did Martel stop the invasion of the Muslims into Europe.  Or did he just stop a small raiding party, and the Muslims had no intentions on invading Europe any way.  Any help greatly appreciated

damam

• Archived User
Charles Martel And The Battle Of Tours
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »

The importance of the battle lies with one fact, Abd er Rahman was killed.  For atleast 15 yrs prior to the battle, the Muslim armies had been ineffective, not because of a lack of desire to take over europe, but because of infighting between muslim factions.    Abd er Rahman had been able to calm the rivals and was viewed as fair and just by muslim scholars today.  Abd er Rahman, because he was able to calm the infighting was able to pull together an effective army that was estimated at 80,000 (the army involved at poitiers was smaller - the number is escaping my memory right now).  But, You simply dont pull an army of 80,000 together if you are only going to go raid europe.  Make no mistake, Abd er Rahman had conquest in mind as a long term goal.  I would argue though that the arab army that attacked Tours was only a raidng force (ie the point of this force was not for conquests but to gain capital for an eventual conquest).  When Abd er Rahman was killed it sent the muslim factions (which made up the army) into absolute anarchy.  They became completely ineffective.  It wasnt for another 23 years that a new emir was appointed that was able to pull the muslim factions together again.  But by the point it was too late.  The european armies were able to pull forces together and slowly drive out the arabs.  Also psychologically, it was very positive for the europeans because it proved that the arab armies could be defeated.  Up until that point the Saracens were kicking europes ass.

If Abd er Rahman had not been killed this battle would have no importance what-so-ever.  But the fact he was, bought the time necessary to stage a revolt.

Anyways, thats my take on it.