xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Hey  (Read 488 times)

Boba_Fett

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (gcskate27 @ Dec 7 2004, 11:17 PM)
ag·nos·tic
Pronunciation: ag-'näs-tik, &g-
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek agnOstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnOstos known, from gignOskein to know -- more at KNOW
: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

What? tupac gets owned yet again? Damn...

pegasys

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »

ok maybe agnostic isn't the word.  I believe in god, just no treligion organized by men(corrupt, ect.).  Carbon dating works because in AP chem we went on a field trip and got to see how they do carbon dating.  The isotopeof carbon has a certiasn half life.  That means it decays at a known certian exact rate.  If you examine how much of a carbon isotope remains then you know how long it has been around.

pepsik

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (pegasys @ Dec 7 2004, 11:53 PM)
ok maybe agnostic isn't the word.  I believe in god, just no treligion organized by men(corrupt, ect.).  Carbon dating works because in AP chem we went on a field trip and got to see how they do carbon dating.  The isotopeof carbon has a certiasn half life.  That means it decays at a known certian exact rate.  If you examine how much of a carbon isotope remains then you know how long it has been around.

Bingo, and carbon dating isn't a theory as it's been applied and proven to work, unlike some other scientific theories, where it is just the most probable speculation. (Big Bang anyone)

SKoT

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (Boba_Fett @ Dec 7 2004, 11:08 PM)
And the only reason you believe carbon dating works is because you read it out of a book...

reading it out of a book is one thing, but many scientists have seen carbon 14 dating take place that are LIVING.

Tell me, who has seen Jesus, "son of god", lately? Or for that matter, in 2000 years?

Sorry, but I believe facts, not a 2000 yr old loosely translated and ever-changing story.

Also, i love all the backpedaling by the religious people. "the earth is only a few thousand years old" .... a little while later, science prooves that wrong and the religous people fold and say.... well ok, we were wrong there, BUT WE ARE RIGHT ON EVERYTHING else.

Its great fun to see

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Still, how long does it take light to reach Earth? I see stars, That alone blows any six thousand year old earth theory out of the water. I think some types of creationism should be taught in a religions/culture class, but putting something with no science theory in a science class will just be confusing to any student who is paying attention.

I have heard that argument before.  "How could the universe be 6000 years old when some starts are millions of light-years away?"
As valid as this question is, it is my beleif that a God who is infinite, all knowing, and posseses the power to create the entire universe and everything in it, would have no problem creating these stars with light already having reached such a point.  In space, time is relative and I beleive since God has always been around, time is another changable matter.

edit: I would also like to add, there is enough stars in the galaxy that every single person could own 2 trillion of them.  Not to mention, if the big bang occured, how come the nebulas, star systems, solar systems are not equally distributed?  And why are some of the planets and moons are not spinning the correct way?
I know that some feel the bug bang and Evolution are not relying on each other, but for no divine intervention it seems to be the only plausable explanation of life.  God would not require millions of years of death for evolution to be accomplished.  And if he did use it, well I am baffled.

pegasys

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »

I believe that god created the "big bang" and let everything develope from there.  If he just created us we would be too much like angels, who have no choice but to love god(apparently).  god knew that we would be created by evolution, there is just too much sience to deny that earth in more than 6000 years old.

FektionFekler

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »

You are what some would refer to as a deiist.

pegasys

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »

I believe in that with a few exeptions, I belive god has some intervention, miricles, answers to true un-selfish(Rare) praying.  Jesus, to remind the human race of god.

Shoue

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »

God would not require millions of years of death for evolution to be accomplished

but you just said..
In space, time is relative and I beleive since God has always been around, time is another changable matter.

If time is another changable matter, then God would have no trouble spending millions of years to do his will.

I do believe in God (I find it unbelievable that things so incredibly complex as the universe and human life, can just happen without any divine intervention.) However, I do not know how or even guess how He did it.  I can say one thing though.. 7 God days.. might not exactly equal 7 man days.

Science explains howthings happen:  Religions explains why things happen

tupac

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2004, 06:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (Baner @ Dec 7 2004, 10:13 PM)
Not sure how good of a statement that is. You might think of it as God not being proven true yer, but I think of it as God not being proven false yet. It's all in the eye of the Beholder, and no number of mens opnions can change one mans views. Just because groups are saying God is fake, doesn't mean there won't be others saying he is non-fiction.

Not only that, but the many Theorms that people science use. They call them truth, because they can't prove them false.

im sure this wont change your mind, but that is a strange view...to believe in something because nothing has proved it wrong, though nothing has proved it right. using that kind of logic someone could say anything is true simply because no one can prove him wrong.

tupac

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (Boba_Fett @ Dec 7 2004, 10:19 PM)
What? tupac gets owned yet again? Damn...

"ok maybe agnostic isn't the word. I believe in god, just no treligion organized by men(corrupt, ect.). Carbon dating works because in AP chem we went on a field trip and got to see how they do carbon dating. The isotopeof carbon has a certiasn half life. That means it decays at a known certian exact rate. If you examine how much of a carbon isotope remains then you know how long it has been around. "

ha, but i know what he meant...own that.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »

...to believe in something because nothing has proved it wrong, though nothing has proved it right

It's no more strange than disbelieving in something that hasn't been proven wrong.

Let people make up their own minds.

tupac

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (Shoue @ Dec 8 2004, 01:51 AM)
I do believe in God (I find it unbelievable that things so incredibly complex as the universe and human life, can just happen without any divine intervention.)

Science explains howthings happen:  Religions explains why things happen

yet u believe something as incredibly complex as divine intervention can just happen.....to me, a universe and life out of nothing makes more sense than some magical being out of nothing. and to say religion proves why things happen and science doesnt, again, to me, is wrong....religion is made by man to give people peace of mind and explain what science hasnt yet...the difference is science is based on facts, religion is based on nothing.

tupac

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Dec 8 2004, 02:25 AM)

It's no more strange than disbelieving in something that hasn't been proven wrong.

Let people make up their own minds.

ive said before that theres a chance that god exists, just not very likely knowing the nature of people...and believing in something that has been proven correct makes a hell of a lot more sense than believing in stuff that hasnt, or even disbelieving stuff that hasnt...especially religion, because it is set up so it it pretty much impossible to prove wrong, though there is no proof.....god was so amazing that he made all this but didnt leave one definitive clue of his existence, u could have fooled me.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Hey
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »

hell of a lot more sense than believing in stuff that hasnt, or even disbelieving stuff that hasnt

that's purely opinion.

In my opinion...

Believing something that hasn't been disproven = Disbelieving something that hasn't been proven.  It's the glass half full vs. glass half empty principle.  They're both "right".

Christianity is impossible to prove right and impossible to prove wrong.  Can we leave it at that and give the religious argument threads a rest?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6