xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My Religious Beliefs And Pet-peaves  (Read 327 times)

pug_ster

• Archived User
My Religious Beliefs And Pet-peaves
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2004, 08:38:00 AM »

rotfl.gif

This website is the biggest bunch of bull that I have ever seen referring to the bible.  For example, it knows the earth is round...

Isaiah 40:22
It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

The word translated “circle” here is the Hebrew word chuwg which is also translated “circuit,” or “compass” (depending on the context). That is, it indicates something spherical, rounded, or arched—not something that is flat or square.

I don't think this even refer the earth as round.

tupac

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

yeah, but god didnt write the bible...its not his Word, its ours.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE (chief777 @ Dec 7 2004, 07:36 PM)
2 Timothy 3:16: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." (KJV).

yes it was written by man, but it was inspired by God.

Prove it wink.gif

(EDIT: you can't.  i can't prove God doesn't exist.  So why don't we all just stfu about religion and believe whatever our hearts desire)

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

(EDIT: you can't. i can't prove God doesn't exist. So why don't we all just stfu about religion and believe whatever our hearts desire)

Amen. wink.gif  beerchug.gif
Much like we can't prove that Bill Gates isn't a robot... (que X-Files intro music).

it all comes down to a relationship. im not a Chrisitan because its logical, or my family is religious. i believe because i know God has a plan for my life, i can talk to him(pray), He responds and because he made the ultimate sacrifice for my sins, so we would be together for eternity

I agree, I don't take the Bible for it's scientific value, but rather as a cruch that aids me thru hard times I might face. When some people get depressed they turn to drugs, I turn to the Bible.

And just for the sake of keeping this arguement alive:
What about scientific theorms? We take these as the truths, because they haven't been proven false, correct? Why does the same not apply to religion? We've yet to disprove his exsistance, yet the one tool scientists use most, is based on the same ideas.

pug_ster

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (chief777 @ Dec 7 2004, 07:13 PM)
then what is it referring to?

the bible is filled with metaphors, parables and truths;  all of which can be misinterpreted when translating into english.  no one really knows the exact translation.

i do know(believe) that God is perfect and 'in the beginning was the Word and the Word was God and the Word was with God' so the bible must be perfect

Exactly, the bible has been misinterpreted so many times over the centuries.  Someone interpreted in the bible that slavery is justifiable, someone else interprets that AIDS is the sin of homosexuals.  Damn, I bet some Christian heretic can misinterpret in the Bible that President Bush is going to be President in 2000 and 2004.

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Dec 7 2004, 07:38 PM)
Prove it wink.gif

(EDIT: you can't.  i can't prove God doesn't exist.  So why don't we all just stfu about religion and believe whatever our hearts desire)

I agree to some extent. I've come to the conclusion that people should be allowed to believe in whatever they want, AS LONG as it won't affect me. And several religions do affect me, mostly through religious leaders like Bush. Christianity fights war with Islam and vice versa (eventhough it's not officially a war against religions, it has a whole lot to do with it.

I respect the people who believe in the religions, but I don't respect the religions in itself. I think it's sad when people give up their lives to a God, but it has also saved many troubled people. But ironically it looks like it will kill more than save.

So, I won't blame people because they believe in a god/gods but if they try to debate me or if someone tries to convert me(incredibly low people), I will tell what I feel.

pug_ster

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (Baner @ Dec 7 2004, 08:01 PM)
And just for the sake of keeping this arguement alive:
What about scientific theorms? We take these as the truths, because they haven't been proven false, correct? Why does the same not apply to religion? We've yet to disprove his exsistance, yet the one tool scientists use most, is based on the same ideas.

You're right, no one can disprove something that someone can't interpret.

SKoT

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (pug_ster @ Dec 7 2004, 09:24 PM)

by your logic then, since I believe in Purple dinosaurs ruling us all, you cant disproove it so it must be true, right?

science has a set of FACTS backing it up. Religion has some 2 thousand year old books that have been changed god knows how many times and for all we know it could be a bunch of stories some people wrote to help people find a set of morals to live their life by. You cant disproove that statement (for all we know it could be a bunch of stories some people wrote to help people find a set of morals to live their life by), so it must be true, right?

tupac

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (pug_ster @ Dec 7 2004, 08:24 PM)

also, schientific theorums and religion dont compare, in the least..scientific theorums, like the atomic theory, are a step away from law..all science points to the fact they r true, yet, in this case, they r impossible to prove.....god is also impossible to prove, or disprove,(since whoever set up these religions have made a loophole for every conceivable question) but all FACTS point to that its not.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2004, 07:06:00 PM »

I respect the people who believe in the religions, but I don't respect the religions in itself. I think it's sad when people give up their lives to a God, but it has also saved many troubled people. But ironically it looks like it will kill more than save.

That phrase sums up the bulk of my animosity towards religion in general.  That is why I don't practice organized religion.

It's okay not to respect a religion... but an altruistic person will always respect someone else's right to worship a pile of dog shit if they want to.  However, religions are almost all founded on the concept of righteousness - everyone else is wrong and should convert/die.

Evangelism is one of the single most annoying and frustrating things in existence.

tupac

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2004, 11:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (enderandrew @ Dec 8 2004, 07:02 AM)
There have been dual-slit refraction experiments which suggest several scary chaos theories may be correct, including that future actions can affect the past.

If a fact is merely a commonly accepted belief, then it is a fact that God exists since the vast majority of the world's population believes in the existance of God.

u know what these studies are or what they were called, id like tio read them?

and if the second thing u said was true the thoughts about existense, science, everything would never change...and bush really would be a good president..but none of that is true, now is it  biggrin.gif its those that think "outside the box, norm, majority" that change things, again in general....there was a time when the majority worshipped plants and animals and mothernature, there was a time when everyone could have sworn there were tons of gods who all lived atop mount olympus, and now there are millions who swear there is a one and only god that created everything....i cant wait to see what we come up with next....

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

by your logic then, since I believe in Purple dinosaurs ruling us all, you cant disproove it so it must be true, right?

No, it might be true in your eyes, but the rest of us know we aren't being ruled by purple dinosaurs and can prove that we aren't. If you were to say that we will one day be ruled by them, then we can't disprove it til it happens. (oh the irony)

science has a set of FACTS backing it up.

Science has facts created by science backing up science. Anyone see a circular reference?

so it must be true, right?

You've gone in the complete opposite direction I was trying to head. I was trying to get at the fact that things aren't true or false, just because we can't prove they're true. But you decided to say that everything that can't be proven is true, which again, is an extreme arguement that the anti-religious tend to take.

all FACTS point to that its not.

All facts created by science... see above

schientific theorums and religion dont compare

It's a double-bladed sword, you can't just say scientific theorums are ok, even tho they haven't been proven, but religion isn't cause it doesn't follow the "rules of science"

Isn't science a man-made idea also? Who say that anything happens for a reason? The only reason why we think like this is because of a movement 500 years ago that made people begin thinking in a different way. Who's to say science isn't a religion? And scientists are the dieties?

I'll find out what they're called, my friends deep into that kinda stuff. I would try to explain what he told me, but me typing it would confuse everyone. I would need to do it verbally, with diagram and hand signals and stuff. wink.gif

pepsik

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

look in the math section of your local book store, the chaos theories are fun but a little hard since it involves complex math problems inorder to see what they are talking about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]