xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Kerry Hates "old Glory"  (Read 362 times)

brandogg

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »

I agree they do. This is besides the point. The flag represents all the brave men and women who have fought for our freedom, not just the government. It's bad taste if you ask me, and very disrespectful to all Americans.

pug_ster

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 10:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (brandogg @ Oct 15 2004, 03:51 AM)
Where have you seen a US flag made in China? I saw a few at a grocery store today and they all had Made in the USA stickers on them. You could compare desecrating a flag to someone taking a soldiers earned medals, and shitting on them, and saying "it's ok, their just some cloth and metal".

I had 1 cheap $3 flag left over from the 4th of July sitting on my desk and it says that it is made in China on the stick.  Might I add that what the Amendment didn't cover the material of the flag.  Mine's is made of cheap plastic, and I don't know if someone burning cheaper plastic flag would have the same type of descration as burning an American made cloth flag... biggrin.gif

Just to prove that I am not lying, here's an article that explains that some  American Flags are actually made in China.

http://www.csmonitor...gn.html?related

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »

You could compare desecrating a flag to someone taking a soldiers earned medals, and shitting on them, and saying "it's ok, their just some cloth and metal".

It's kind of like printing stories in the newspaper that a particular Senator didn't earn his medals in Vietnam, how disrespectful!

A flag is a flag is a flag.

rocky_2197

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »

The American flag represents the United States.  It is very symbolic of the men and women who have died fighting for the freedoms that you cherrish so deaply.  Yet you agree that it is a right or freedom to bring dishonor and digrace to fallen soldiers, by dessicrating that very symbol.  I being in the military, am deaply upset that any one would think this is an acceptible pratice.  In my opinion there should be an admendment to the constitution to protect the dignity of the flag.   An American who desicrates our flag is no better than the terrorist that we are fighting against.  

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight'
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming.
And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen, thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream;
'Tis the star-spangled banner: oh, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh, thus be it ever when free men shall stand,
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that has made and preserved us as a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust";
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

and finaly,

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and  for which it stands- one nation, under God,  indivisible-with liberty and justice for all."

thomes08

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 07:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (brandogg @ Oct 15 2004, 03:51 AM)
Where have you seen a US flag made in China? I saw a few at a grocery store today and they all had Made in the USA stickers on them. You could compare desecrating a flag to someone taking a soldiers earned medals, and shitting on them, and saying "it's ok, their just some cloth and metal".

no you can't compare the two, because if you burn your own flag it's your own, if you take anything of anyone else's and ruin it on purpose, that's a crime.  there's a difference

pug_ster

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »

Exactly, now we are talking about flags being burned and things like that.  If you look at their bill and the reason why they decided not to pass it:

http://thomas.loc.go...sel=TOC_113690

One reason why this Amendment was not passed in the first place (and Kerry voted against it) was that it will probably cause more controversy than not passing it.  I think most Americans in their right mind would probably be pissed someone else burning a flag.  The boys in Blue and the FBI will be more than happy to deal with those scums.  We don't need an Amendment like that.

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »

It also stands for corruption, capitalism, and discrimination.

If you should be allowed to wave it, someone else should be allowed to burn it.

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

Maybe I will go spit in the face of veterans, while burning the flag, and raping their daughters and grand-daughters.

Drama queen.

They fought and died for the ideals, not the flag.

thomes08

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (K98 @ Oct 15 2004, 08:20 PM)
If any flag is just cloth then what would happen if i chose to hang a few ww2 nazi germany flags with the swastika in my lawn. Then I might add the SS runes and deaths head flag right beside it. Then maybe I would put some communist flags around. I would think instantly i would get a lot of heat for that. People at night would probably tear them down throw trash in my yard. Why? because flags are symbols. No one would buy the excuse they're just cloth and it doesnt matter what they symbolize. Just saying the American flag stands for freedom, courage, and justice. Its a symbol.

go ahead and do it then.  It's your right

gcskate27

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

ok if you put up nazi flags and the like, should there be an ammendment to where its illegal to harm those flags? people fought and died for those ideals as well... i bet you wouldnt think twice about burning a nazi flag because you dont agree with the ideals of the party... if you cant separate ideals from a physical object, youve got problems...

*edit, because i know your not the sharpest person here and will try adn say "well i guess youre a nazi" or some stupid shit like that, i have to put this little disclaimer saying that i do not support, nor believe in nazi ideals...

thomes08

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (gcskate27 @ Oct 15 2004, 08:59 PM)
ok if you put up nazi flags and the like, should there be an ammendment to where its illegal to harm those flags? people fought and died for those ideals as well... i bet you wouldnt think twice about burning a nazi flag because you dont agree with the ideals of the party... if you cant separate ideals from a physical object, youve got problems...

*edit, because i know your not the sharpest person here and will try adn say "well i guess youre a nazi" or some stupid shit like that, i have to put this little disclaimer saying that i do not support, nor believe in nazi ideals...

nicely put

brandogg

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

The idea is that the two things are not seperate. You can't burn someone's emotional pride and their actual accomplishments, which the flag represents.

thomes08

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

you can burn whatever piece of cloth you want to, end of story.  The important thing is, which you're right on, is that you can't burn what the flag represents.  And what it represents is all that matters, not the medium doing the representing.  Get what i'm saying?

Baner

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2004, 02:18:00 PM »

dry.gif  wink.gif
The flag is an icon of your patriotism. I'm not saying it makes you patriotic, but flying the flag is a way of voicing your patriotism for that country. That's why so many people flew the flag in their yards after 9/11. Burning a flag is the same thing as saying the opposite. Showing others your hate for that country. If you hate a country enough to disgrace their flag, why live their in the first place.
Burning the nazi flag would show your disgrace for their patriotism, and what their patriotic for. Many poeple would agree with you for burning a nazi flag, considering their always synonomis with hate, anger, and genocide.
All I'm trying to say is if you are against a nation to that degree, then you should leave. There's no reason for you to be living in a country that you disagree with.
(didn't read everything, just the last page)

thomes08

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »

i agree with a lot of that except you can't just expect people to leave a country when they disagree.  To me my family, friends, schooling, and future job are all reasons for me to stay here.  Hating something about a country so bad to make you burn that countries flag does not mean you should leave.  If all the flag burners cared about was what country they lived in, they wouldn't be here.  But for me, and many other people, it's not so black and white.  There are reasons that have nothing to do with what they hate that make them want to still live here.

i spit that out kind of fast did that make sense?

thomes08
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4