xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Kerry Hates "old Glory"  (Read 360 times)

rocky_2197

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« on: October 14, 2004, 01:47:00 AM »

:: Kerry hates "Old Glory"

Senator John Forbes Kerry voted NO.

Vote to propose a constitutional amendment prohibiting the physical desecration of the U.S. flag.

S J Res 14: Prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States.

Vote to pass a resolution that would propose a constitutional amendment granting Congress the authority to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States.
(Resolution sponsored by Hatch, R-UT)
Resolution rejected 63-37: R51-4; D 12-33 on 03/29/2000; a 2/3rds majority is required to pass constitutional amendment resolutions.

How can some one that voted against an amendemnt to the constitution prohibiting the desecration of the American flag call himeself patriotic. This just adds to many reasons to support Bush rather than Kerry,

gcskate27

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 02:50:00 AM »

ugh, i know this is something we will just always disagree on so theres no point in arguing but... its just a peice of cloth... and dont go on and on about what it represents, dont think i havent thought of that...

you can be patriotic without going apeshit at someone for setting a flag on fire...

pedro

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 06:47:00 AM »

burning the flag is a way of making a statement that you disagree with the country...
and to me, questioning the things going on in the governemnt and protesting them is the most patriotic thing a person can do...after all, that is what this country was built on.

brandogg

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 08:22:00 AM »

It depends on how you look at it to consider something patriotic. Anyway, the flag is NOT just a piece of cloth. I don't think any country considers their flag "just a piece of cloth", it's all about what the flag represents. I don't know if there should be punishment for desecrating it, but I agree that it should not be allowed. Find another, less disrespectful to the people that have fought for that flag, to show protest.

thomes08

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 08:25:00 AM »

QUOTE (gcskate27 @ Oct 14 2004, 10:53 AM)
ugh, i know this is something we will just always disagree on so theres no point in arguing but... its just a peice of cloth... and dont go on and on about what it represents, dont think i havent thought of that...

you can be patriotic without going apeshit at someone for setting a flag on fire...

couldn't agree with you more on this one.  It's not even a bush v kerry thing but it will turn into one on here

brandogg

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

This was brought up in the senate before Bush was president - 3/29/2000 - Clinton was in office.

pug_ster

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 09:43:00 AM »

Here's a link here about it.

http://thomas.loc.go...4:@@@L&summ2=m

There are already laws that prohibit desecration of the flag so why do we need an amendment for it?  If we have an amendment for desecration of the flag, maybe we should have an amendment for talking in the cell phone while driving.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

nah we should do away with people who talk in movie theatres before both... those are the really aggrivating people...

thomes08

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:03:00 PM »

my grandpa came over here from italy and fought in WWII, and he sees no problem with flag burning.  He in no way supports it but the freedom he protected in the 40's is the same freedom he supports now, and that is if you want to burn a flag in protest that's your right.  It's not harming anyone.  I may hurt people's feelings, but that's not a crime.

thomes08

pug_ster

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »

In their website, there's compelling reasons why we shouldn't have that admendment should be passed.

http://thomas.loc.go...sel=TOC_113690

Kind of creative though.  The bill thought of reasons why it should not be passed because essentally it was not necessary.

gronne

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »

Burning a flag is a very strong reaction, and if you're not allowed to show that you seriously feel there's something really wrong then that's an infringement. You should only be allowed to do it if you have a very strong opinion you disagree of with your country. I'm not patriotic, but I'd be irritated if someone did it in the good situation Sweden is in now. But if someone's been betrayed by our society, why not?

Tell you what, if you make it illegal to burn a flag, it'd be an even greater tension in doing so, and then you'll definitely see it happen more often.

melon

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (brandogg @ Oct 14 2004, 04:25 PM)
Anyway, the flag is NOT just a piece of cloth. I don't think any country considers their flag "just a piece of cloth"

Seriously, this is what cracks me up. Its a piece of material, I wouldnt care if someone wiped there arse with the British or the English flag.
Im sure a lot of Scotsman and Welshman have.

Who cares???

It is only a piece of material and as far as im aware this is the view held by 99% of the British/English population.

But then again dont you guys have flag poles in your garden and stuff?

pug_ster

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »

You know most of the American Flags are made in China anyways.  Since the American Flag is sacred item, according to rocky 2197, maybe we should have an Amendment which bans the American Flag made from any country outside US.

That way, there is no way for Foreigners to descrate the flag since the Chinese workers probably descrate the flag while manufacturing them biggrin.gif

brandogg

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »

Where have you seen a US flag made in China? I saw a few at a grocery store today and they all had Made in the USA stickers on them. You could compare desecrating a flag to someone taking a soldiers earned medals, and shitting on them, and saying "it's ok, their just some cloth and metal".

gcskate27

• Archived User
Kerry Hates "old Glory"
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »

do you think people who burn the flag do it to show that they hate 'the troops'? if so youre an idiot, they do it to show dissatisfaction with the gov, which im sure many vets have
Pages: [1] 2 3 4