xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: For Those College Freshman  (Read 72 times)

bluedeath

• Archived User
For Those College Freshman
« on: August 27, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »

For those college freshman who believe that a generalized degree will be enough I ask you to take a look at the competition.

Outsourcing doom

These people work for less than 4 dollars an hour and many of them have more than 1 graduate degree.

SmallBusinessGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »

Thanks man for the heads up. I guess I'll go ahead and change my major to something a little more useful, maybe Latin.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »

As a degree-holder, I'll tell you that a degree does NOT make the programmer.  Companies are discovering en masse that outsourcing to countries like India only flies for small, simple projects.  Remote management, language barriers, and poor standards are driving large projects into the ground and resulting in even larger costs than domestic development.  1 grad degree or 10: it means shit.  Other than the fundamental foundation of computer science, I've developed virtually all of my skills outside of college, as have all the talented programmers I've ever met.

A degree in computer science always has its uses, as it's a great basis for any engineering field, and it can be geared towards a variety of disciplines... even hardware.  The problem in America is all the religious studies, liberal arts, and english degrees - basically doing nothing to improve our global workforce.