xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Dmca!  (Read 69 times)

miazmaticdotcom

• Archived User
The Dmca!
« on: July 07, 2004, 03:15:00 AM »

I for one think the DMCA is one ugly piece of shit passed by paid-off Senatorial folk. By putting even the slightest bit of DRM on any product, a company can, by invoking the DMCA, prevent the promised "Fair Use" from happening, circumventing basic copyright law.

I feel like they want my computer to be theirs, not mine. I'm sure a big legion of Xbox hackers stands behind me on this. If I bought it, I can open it up and fuck with it if I want to. Right?

And you know how lots of people are going Democratic because "anything's better than Bush"? I don't buy it. Clinton could have vetoed the DMCA, but he didn't. That makes Republicans and Democrats assholes.

OrkanMan

• Archived User
The Dmca!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 04:23:00 AM »

I feel like they want my computer to be theirs, not mine. I'm sure a big legion of Xbox hackers stands behind me on this. If I bought it, I can open it up and fuck with it if I want to. Right?

So, in other words, you feel like you have the right to download music, video games, and movies without paying anything for them?

therebelious1

• Archived User
The Dmca!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 04:39:00 AM »

thats totally not what he's saying

under the dcma, circumventing any kind of copy protection would be illegal
the copy protection on the xbox stops you from running unsigned code aswell as copied games. so disabling the copy protection for the purpose of running your own unofficial code would be very illegal

so in essence, modifying anything in a way which alters the copy protection features is not allowed, even though its 100% your property- even if there is no intent to commit an act of piracy

i'm so glad we have traditional laws over here in the UK- i'm also glad for the fact that it takes a much longer time to implement new laws over here

OrkanMan

• Archived User
The Dmca!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 05:26:00 AM »

Okay, but still....I'm sure about 99% of the people who install modchips in their Xbox use it to play copied games.  So, I definetly see why the copy protection stuff is there in the first place.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
The Dmca!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »

meh, more power to them