xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Repair (flashing Red And Green)  (Read 134 times)

Zebes

• Archived User
Xbox Repair (flashing Red And Green)
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »

this is called fraging\
was there any mod attemps before?
was it opened before you got it?
is the hard drive making clicking sounds?
the reason there isn't any error code is because it is probably an 1.0
it also could be the dvd drive

and if somebody has opened it before then it could be a ton of dif things

Joshatdot

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »

what exactly is being said on the error message? or got pics?

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »

Although it will not help in every situation, a lot of FRAG-ing problems can usually be solved by installing a modchip in the Xbox.

If you have decent soldering abilities, and don't mind spending about fifteen dollars, try seeing if a modchip is able to help your Xbox.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

it also seems it keeps turning on and off a few times

That's a 3 boot FRAG. May or may not be fixable w/a modchip.
The noise you hear is the drive initializing. Nothing to worry about there.
If you indeed have the 3 boot FRAG, you can eliminate dashboard/hdd problems. This one may be a physical problem on the motherboard itself (check carefully for any broken traces and/or missing components.

Wheely34

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

I do hear the harddisk spinning.  I took some pictures of what it says on the screen and what color lights the xbox is flashing.  It flashes from red to green (which I have taken pictures of).

I do not have any games to try, but I figured the same thing would happen whether I had a game in ther or not.  I guess I will also disassemble it again and take a look at the motherboard and all to see if there is any physical damage.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wheely34

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »

I just did a search and found this website that recognizes my problem.  It sucks because basically, my problem could be any of these:

1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard
2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed
3 - bootldr - ??/not used
4 - bootldr - Ram check failed
5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)
6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD
7 - kernel - HDD timeout
8 - kernel - No HDD found
9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)
10 - kernel - DVD timeout
11 - kernel - No DVD Found
12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)
13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.
14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)
15 - - ??/not used
16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)
17 - - ??/not used
18 - - ??/not used
19 - - ??/not used
20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication
21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag
In closing:
21 was the highest number I could find, I don't think any thing is past that. And for the unknown ones, I couldn't find any reference to them at all, I don't believe they are used.
Greets to everyone (who is contributing) in the homebrew scene.

Here is the site:
http://www.llamma.co...res_service.htm

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »

what do you mean "seems" to be turning on and off.

is it, or is it not.
this makes a big difference in diagnosing.

usually there is no video output on the 3-boot frag.
is there video output when it does this?
does it only do this sometimes?
where did you get this box from?

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wheely34 @ Oct 17 2006, 09:52 AM) View Post

I do hear the harddisk spinning.  I took some pictures of what it says on the screen and what color lights the xbox is flashing.  It flashes from red to green (which I have taken pictures of).

I do not have any games to try, but I figured the same thing would happen whether I had a game in ther or not.  I guess I will also disassemble it again and take a look at the motherboard and all to see if there is any physical damage.

IPB Image

Well, since you're getting an error screen, you should check the hard drive first.
I usually stick a chip in the box & rebuild the hdd with stock M$ dash files to see if it'll fix it.
If you can't format & reinstall files to the hard drive, then you know it's dead.

Lack of error code is probably because you have a 1.0 motherboard w/kernel 3944
You can check which kernel version by looking for a sticker on the hard drive and/or on the motherboard (near the LPC).

No clue where you're getting your information, but there's no way in hell you have a dead EEPROM. By the way, replacing the hard drive wouldn't fix a bad eeprom anyway.

Joshatdot

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »

Can you cold boot with a Retail Game disc?

power it on with Eject, put in a disc before it Errors, and see it'll boot.

Wheely34

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »

"A flashing red light indicates the eeprom is damaged and can mean that it is either physical (the chip is bad) or logical (the eeprom image is corrupt). There are a couple of ways to fix this problem however there is a possibility your hard drive will need to be replaced."

I got that information off of http://www.xboxrepairguide.com/

So what should I do first, replace the eeprom?  Cause I was also reading about how the hard drive is locked and u need to unlock it and all.  I'm just gettin a little confused.  I realize than my problem may be really serious.  So what should I do first?

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »

As Alex548 has already suggested in post number '13', I would try installing a modchip in your Xbox.

This would be a sure-fire way to determine if your Xbox's hard drive is faulty or not.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wheely34 @ Oct 17 2006, 07:43 PM) View Post

"A flashing red light indicates the eeprom is damaged and can mean that it is either physical (the chip is bad) or logical (the eeprom image is corrupt). There are a couple of ways to fix this problem however there is a possibility your hard drive will need to be replaced."

So what should I do first, replace the eeprom?  Cause I was also reading about how the hard drive is locked and u need to unlock it and all.  I'm just gettin a little confused.  I realize than my problem may be really serious.  So what should I do first?

You said it's flashing red/green so it's not an eeprom issue.
Second, if it were an eeprom, you'd see the xbox flash red immediately. It would not show the "flubber screen," then show the service message. If you're seeing the error message screen (like you already posted), then your eeprom is definitely fine.

As mentioned earlier, it's time to stick a modchip into the box. Only after you install a chip will you know whether you have a corrupt/bad hdd.

If you have a spare dvd drive, try swapping them out to rule out a bad dvd drive as being the problem as well.

acdreign

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wheely34 @ Oct 17 2006, 11:43 PM) View Post

Every hardware problem I've seen causes fragging.   Seeing as this is a 1.0 xbox, you're only chance of repairing it is to use a modchip.  I suggest the DuoX2 as a cost effective option.

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

first,

DON'T JUST GET ANY DUOX2 CHIP!
make sure you get a blue one, the white one will only confuse you (if you get it installed).

second,

BE PREPARED TO KILL A MOTHERBOARD!
if you've only recently opened one up for the first time, there is a good chance you will fuck up.
there is also a good chance that a fuck-up may be beyond your ability to fix.

NOW THAT YOU'VE BEEN WARNED:

go for it.

only one way to learn.

just be aware that this could be the start of a time consuming hobby.
i got started by trying to fix a couple broken xboxes i had in my inventory (i have a computer business).
now i do more of this than i do computers!

jclodgoe84

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »

hi i have the same problem tomy xbox tries to boot 3 times then flashes red & green with no audio & no video but when i  turn it on & off a couple 100 times it will boot up fine like theres nothing wronge with it it all started when my brother bought doom3 when doom3 first come out so i took it apart come to find out the power supply needed to be replaced so i replaced it i worked fine for about a month or so  then my paddle needed to be replaced so i got a wireless paddle and it started to boot 3 times flash red green with  no audio and no video