xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is The Two Party System Tearing This Country Apart  (Read 89 times)

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
Is The Two Party System Tearing This Country Apart
« on: June 01, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »

It seems to me that if we label our candidates as liberal/conservative republican/democrat, it really takes away from the issues at hand, and leads to nothing but antagonism and cruel debates at the hand of party supporters.

What I'm suggesting is a blind race, eliminate the ambiguous labels and just go by the issues, sure the issues are rather defined by the parties, but would dropping the parties really hurt?

NOTE: This is not a thread to flame either party, I truthfully don't give a shit if you're republican or democrat or whatever else you may be, keep it to yourself.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »

you know, i was thinking about this today, and i always wondered why we just couldnt have 1 party, and not even have it as a party, but just make it, so whoever wants to run, can, and no one is labeled ne thing, and if your in support of big buisness or poor people, it doesnt mean your a republican or a democrat, it just means thats what you support

it would also help as there wouldnt be any biasism in the electoral college

just my thoughts

falser

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »

There are negatives to not having a 2 party system as well.  I'm Canadaian, and although I don't know too much about Canadian politics I do know it's extremely important that the political party that is in control has what's called a "majority" government.  With that, the government can pass almost any bills it wants without having bills get vetoed by the other party.  But without it, the government can sometimes become locked, it can't pass any laws because the other sides just vote everything down.  For the last 12 years or more the Liberal Party has had majority governments which pisses everyone else off.  So just recently the 2 primary Canadian conservative parties combined to form the "New Conservative Party" or some crap - so Canada is essentially going back to a 2 party system as well.

Colonel32

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (falser @ Jun 2 2004, 02:31 AM)
There are negatives to not having a 2 party system as well.  I'm Canadaian, and although I don't know too much about Canadian politics I do know it's extremely important that the political party that is in control has what's called a "majority" government.  With that, the government can pass almost any bills it wants without having bills get vetoed by the other party.  But without it, the government can sometimes become locked, it can't pass any laws because the other sides just vote everything down.  For the last 12 years or more the Liberal Party has had majority governments which pisses everyone else off.  So just recently the 2 primary Canadian conservative parties combined to form the "New Conservative Party" or some crap - so Canada is essentially going back to a 2 party system as well.

Your forgetting the NDP. sad.gif  

We have three major parties (Left - Middle - Right ) the majority stuff looks like it won't happen again this year but it has sucked hasn't it. It almost works that way in the States right now.

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »

Give me liberty or give me democrats.

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

I just find all the hostility between the left and right wing troubling, and I see it as putting a rift right through this country.