xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Takes On Great Strategists Throughout History  (Read 72 times)

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
Takes On Great Strategists Throughout History
« on: May 21, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »

Just place your favorite strategist and why you like them, any time period is acceptable.

I'll start things off and I'll go with Hannibal, I have nothing but respect for a man that can make the mighty Roman empire shake with fear. With less men, mercenaries for the most part, Hannibal used tactics that had not been explored before, as in the battle of the Trevia (sp?) river, in which after allowing the Romans front phalanx to smash into his lines, he enveloped them and easily overtook them, while suffering minimal casualities. Hannibal reigned supreme in the west until Rome struck at his morale by beheading Hamdrubal (Hannibal's brother), and tossing it into Hannibals camp, Hannibal started to lose key battles, and his army was finally defeated at the battle of Zama. Hannibal managed to escape roman capture, and took poison to end his life.

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
Takes On Great Strategists Throughout History
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »

There are sooo many great leaders. Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Hitler (great leader, not man), President Bush (hahahahahaha, I had to put it in there).

But, I believe my greatest strategist of all time would have to be Napoleon. Simply because of all the stories you hear of the man and how much of a genius he was in battle. Every move the enemy made, he predicted. Every time they moved left, his guys were already there. When they attacked, he dodged and attacked back. It was impossible for him to lose a battle. Then, during the Battle of Waterloo he was knocked off his horse at a key moment. He was unconscious for several minutes. Upon awakening, he saw the enemies tactics, ordered his mens to position themselves in the exact position to counter the enemies move.....but, alas, it was too later. The enemy was already in position and Napoleon lost. He was exiled. He then returned to France and regained a little bit of control for a short period of time. Only to be exiled again. For being one of the greatest military leaders of all time, he died one of the most shameful deaths. Alone on an island. He went from everything, to nothing. As all great military strategists have. I wonder if my real favorite strategist (Bush) will encounter the same fate...