xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cable Tv On Hdtv  (Read 107 times)

no0b123

• Archived User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »

-Why does cable TV look so grainy on my new HDTV versus my old SD CRT?

-And what can I do (or buy) to fix that and get a clearer picture?

-And, whats the highest signal to pass thru composite cables (like 480i, 480p, 720i?).

-If I were to buy an Xbox 360 Elite with HDMI, would I plug that cable into the console on one end, and the other into my TV? Then use the Toslink adapter to connect it to my Audio receiver?

-And why do Audio receivers have video output? Thanks.

throwingks

• Archived User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »

You can use your old SDTV.

HDTV no matter what res, needs to upscale the 480i resolution to the TVs native res. CRTs in general are better looking, sharper, better contrast, etc. than Plasma or LCD. I bet your salesman didn't tell you that. However, 720 or 1080 looks much nicer than 480, in their native res, and a SD CRT cannot do that.

Samsung made a thin-panel flat screen HD CRT a while back. The picture was great but, being a thin panel tube, the image had distortion. I don't know if anybody is still advancing the CRT or not. Any store I go to makes it seem like CRT is dead.

Bottom line, if you are looking for the best quality 480i viewer you can find, use a SD CRT. Alternatively, get a better upscaler.

* I have not actively researched in a long while, some things may be a little different since the last time I checked it out.

I believe 480i is all that composite can handle.

Audio receivers have video input and output to make switching inputs easier. Say switching from TV to DVD, you only have to switch it on the radio and not the TV also. Don't use them. Any device you have to go through you lose a tiny bit of quality. Plug straight into your TV, if you can.

no0b123

• Archived User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

Ok, would this help me at all?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...3QQcmdZViewItem

throwingks

• Archived User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »

I dont think so, a better cable box with better cable connections would be better. For example, s-video is better than coaxial. Component is better than s-video. The connection will help a little, a signal booster only keep the signal strong over long distances. If your TV is right by your coaxial outlet, then there is no need for a booster.

no0b123

• Archived User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »

Ok, I'll look and see what we got. My TV just hooks up the the wall behind it using a white cable to get the TV channels. I'll just look for that cable box and see what I can work with.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Jul 8 2007, 05:05 PM) View Post

-Why does cable TV look so grainy on my new HDTV versus my old SD CRT?

throwingks covered this pretty well but in general HDTVs will show all the imperfections and since the signal is being upscaled to HD resolutions (normally it's only 480i) it introduces both scaling artifacts AND deinterlacing artifacts... what fun!

-And what can I do (or buy) to fix that and get a clearer picture?

get a cable box that outputs to component video and get a stand alone faroudja scaler (you could have saved some money and bought an HDTV with one built in but it's too late for that now).

Alternatively you can order a HD cable package with a cable box capable of decoding to HD resolutions

-And, whats the highest signal to pass thru composite cables (like 480i, 480p, 720i?).

480i that's it... but you could have read the sticky to find out for yourself

-If I were to buy an Xbox 360 Elite with HDMI, would I plug that cable into the console on one end, and the other into my TV? Then use the Toslink adapter to connect it to my Audio receiver?

yes you could do that... assuming both your TV and receiver have the appropriate hookups.

-And why do Audio receivers have video output? Thanks.

1. Sometimes they can display menus on screen making it easier to setup and adjust instead of relying on the crappy little built in character LCD.
2. Sometimes they can be used as AV switch boxes allowing you to switch multiple inputs. This makes it better than your TV for the task if you've got multiple surround sound inputs that you'll be switching anyway.
3. Some times it can overlay data on top of the screen like a volume bar or input channel much like your TV does.

no0b123

• Archived User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

Thank you both for clearing that up!

Chancer

• Archived User
Cable Tv On Hdtv
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

Not sure on your location but in the UK
Cable Tv looks shit on SD TV
They could make it look better by transmitting a higher bit rate but fact is
Low bit rate = Less bandwidth = Cheaper to run for the Cable Company.
HD transmissions through the TV Drive HD boxes with HDMI look a lot better