xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox360 Rca -> Dvi 1080p Possible?  (Read 90 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Xbox360 Rca -> Dvi 1080p Possible?
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »

1. RCA is not the same thing as component... they are two different things decide which one your talking about first and then only use the proper term so we know what it is you're talking about. (read the sticky if you don't know the difference)

2. the Dreamcast is not capable of anything greater then 640x480 @60Hz (which is effectively 480p) if your display is showing more then that then it's interpreting the signal incorrectly... or your misinterpreting it. 720x480 is not 720p... that is also 480p

3. If you're using component cables to connect to your HDTV and are getting a 480i signal then there are two things you need to check

First: make sure the switch on the connector is set to "HDTV" and not "TV" setting it to "TV" will force it into 480i mode, and AFAIK in the "HDTV" position 480i isn't even possible.

Second: make sure you've changed the video output settings in the Xbox 360's dashboard. it will default to the lowest (read: most compatible) setting until you manually change it to something in HD.

If neither one of those do the trick then either
A. you're hooking it up wrong
B. your cable is broken: get a new one or
C. your Xbox 360 is broken

4. DONT BUY CRAPPY CONVERTERS they wont do anything to fix your problem and you'll only waste your money... and no you wont get 1080p using one either.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Jun 1 2007, 07:00 AM) View Post

So I should test if my TV also accepts VGA at 1080p (connected to the DVI port).

Yes

And if it does, then the (YUC) -> VGA/DVI converter should allow my xbox360 (connected to the DVI port) to play at 1080p right?

No... if you want 1080p with a premium you should buy the official Xbox360 VGA cable and connect it the same way you are connecting the Dreamcast now... If you still want the Dreamcast hooked up in 480p then you'd be better getting a VGA to YUV adapter to hook that up.

The adapter you linked to wont look nearly as good as using an official VGA cable.

And if it doesn't I should get a xbox360 elite or a box that converts the YUC signal -> Digital DVI

Don't waste your money on a YUC to DVI-D converter they cost about $200-$250 and they're generally a huge waste of money. The adapter you linked to does not do Analog to Digital conversion.

From the sound of it Either something is wrong with your current AV cable or something is wrong with your TV's component video input.

My advice

1. Borrow a cable from a friend to see if it works with their cable
2. failing that take your console to a friends house and hook it up to their HDTV to see if that works (try both of your cables)
3. failing that buy an official Xbox 360 VGA cable and connect it to your TV the same way you've connected your dreamcast
4. filing that Sell your Premium console and buy an elite, hook it up via HDMI

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Jun 2 2007, 07:52 AM) View Post

I'm going to buy a YUV-cable for the dreamcast (since it will never go above 480i) ...

The Dreamcast (unfortunately) doesn't support a YUV connection... The only way to get that kind of signal would be to convert VGA to YUV with an external adapter.

If you've got S-Video ports I'd suggest just using that until you've got your Elite, then go back to using VGA for the Dreamcast... a VGA -> YUV adapter will be fairly pricey.