xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Hd Projector  (Read 114 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
New Hd Projector
« on: March 27, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »

I have an interesting story... I figured I'd share.

I've been researching a new projector for a few months now... I had the money set aside for one (about $2K).

After reading countless reviews, spec comparisons, and post on avsforum.com I narrowed it down to the Optoma HD73 and the Mitsubishi HC3100.

Both are DLP (DC3) 720p projectors with MSRPs around $2K. Since they were both really new I decided to wait for some more people to get them for a better user perspective. Also the HC3100 wasn't available in the US, only Japan so far.  dry.gif

-----

Well yesterday I decided to just checkout some eBay auctions for HC3100 importers (the only way to get them in the states) and some shops for HD73. Both were going for around $1800 from respectable sellers.

But then I noticed that Optoma was offering a deal where if you buy before the end of the month (Saturday) you can get an extra bulb free.

Not only that but VisualApex.com was offering a free 2 year warranty on the bulbs as well as a free OPPO upscaling DVD player.  love.gif

I decided that such a honey of a deal was well worth getting the HD73 over a random eBay auction. Not to mention if I ever need service I'm much more likely to receive it.

-----

After putting in my order I went to play some Xbox 360 on my current projector (Boxlight Raven), but the picture was all screwed up, the bulb seemed to be running at half brightness making it difficult to see what was going on, as if the image had a sepia tone applied to it and then dimmed. I shut it down and rebooted the projector and it had the same problem. I knew I was getting up in bulb life so I check it and I had 3400ish hours on the bulb. So I played some games for a few hours... around 11:45pm I decided to head to bed. I went back to the dash and was looking at my friends list when ...*POP*... the bulb blew.

It's as if my projector knew it had been replaced and decided there was no longer any point in living  laugh.gif

Xbox Live is down today so I wont miss it but the new Projector wont be in until some time next week... I only wish the bulb blew sooner so I could have had the new one delivered overnight.

Though it's somewhat of a shame that the bulb blew. I planned on ebaying it and the value of the PJ plummets without a working bulb.   sad.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
New Hd Projector
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »

electronics always know when they are getting replaced.

they are alive, don't you know that? :lol;

i expect pics and stuff on your new pj when you get it, i really want one.

_iffy

• Archived User
New Hd Projector
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

That's funny.

Makes me think about my xbox setup.

My original xbox A/V inputs had the #1 spot on my TV. When I got my xbox 360, I put the original xbox's A/V inputs into the #2 spot on my TV, so the 360 could have the #1 spot.

A week later my 360 died.

Now, the original xbox currently has the #1 spot, and I haven't gotten another 360 yet

Tripme

• Archived User
New Hd Projector
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »

I have the same kind of story about my old TV when I got my 360.

I had only had my 360 for about a week but it kinda sucked playing on my small ass SD tv.  I was talking to my friend about maybe getting an HDTV for the xbox and jokingly said that it would be a sign from god if my tv went out.  Well, what do you know, only a few hours later that TV refused to turn on and it made a weird screeching sound (the death of its soul?)  Went out the next day and got my TV and haven't been happier with it.

pop.gif to sad, unwanted electronics..

gordita37

• Archived User
New Hd Projector
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »

HAHAHA made me laugh pretty good! I'm wondering though, why get a new projector, why not just another bulb?

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
New Hd Projector
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »

well I didn't buy the new projector because the bulb went out, I bought the new projector just to upgrade...

Old projector: 800x600 resolution, 1200:1 contrast ratio, 900 lumines
New Projector: 1280x768 resolution 6500:1 contrast ratio, 1100 lumines
^thats why I bought a new projector.

Besides bulbs for the old one are $270... and that's hunting around for a good deal.