xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there really a 1080p advantage?  (Read 385 times)

mc_365

• Archived User
Is there really a 1080p advantage?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »

This is so funny, I seem to remember everyone and thier mother just a 2 years ago saying it made no since to purchase an HDTV that was not progressive now we're saying 1080i is better than 720p and almost as good as 1080P.

Well my expeirence is 1080i on a CRT properly dialed in with a 1080i signal of true HD source material is the best picture you can get presently.

The flat panels may have higher resolutions and be progressive but the just can produce blacks and/or the rich smooth colors that you get with the tube.

That being said,  I've seen alot of sets being I go to J&R music like twice a week cuase its on my way from work,  the best image on a flat panel I have observed is the Panasonic Plasmas at 720P  I think people like the LCD becuase of the brightness.  The screen is so bright when the go to the show room it makes the images look vibrant and sharp but there is not depth and flesh tones look like shit, and fast movements look the tv signal got scambled.

I'll probably get a plasma cuase I could use the extra space but I love the picture on my 7 year old 36" sony trinitron XBR HD ready set.

In my seven years of watching HD tv both OTA and Dish I think I know what is a good image and tubes are still the benchmark.

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lifter @ Nov 11 2006, 02:49 PM) View Post

Get a clue people.....snip......what that means is that whether you play the 1080i version or the 1080p version - it makes no difference whatsoever.   None.  Zip. Nada.  Just like the article says.  Play it back at 1080i, and your digital 1080 TV set is just converting it to 1080p at 30fps.  Since the movie is only 24fps, you lose absolutely nothing.  Full resolution.  Full framerate.  All from a 1080i source signal.  A 1080p source of MI3 gives no advantage.

In fact, it is you who needs to get a clue. Too many of you people are not professionals in these fields yet you try to talk like you are. You have a superficial understanding of a complex field.

If you had of studies this field instead of shooting off your mouth talking about things you don't understand you would realise that it is impossible to perfectly convert interlaced fields to a full progressive frames. Even the best consume level $US3000 video processes still leave interlace artifacts in certain situations.

Not having to do interlacing to progressive from the original 1080P24fps source is a distinct advantage because it eliminates any interlace artifacting.

Amatuer. muhaha.gif

QUOTE(unclepauly @ Nov 11 2006, 01:01 PM) View Post

1080p IS the holy grail of hdtv. It's basically the most perfect image you are going to get for the next 10yrs(maybe less). I agree it is not a gigantic leap over 1080i, but over 720p? It's 2x the pixels... The more you can see the better. I think this study is just trying to do some damage control for somebody.

This is true, but contrast and blacks have improved in later generation of LCOS / LCD / Plasma.

SED and Laser will take over eventually.

CRTs are practical for 60" screen sizes which for most viewing distances is ideal for 1080 sources. Think of the THX recommended viewing angle.

Burgleflickle

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 01:34:00 AM »

All I'm hearing is waaah. Grow up.

To Admins:
The credibility of this site has gone down considerably in the past few months, and it's because of some of the speculative, vague crap on these news feeds. With all due respect, if you have reliable news, post it, if you don't have a newsworthy story, let it go--otherwise you'll have these crybabies detracting loyal members flaming and crapping up good forums that have helped thousands. I respect and enjoy this site, and I hope you keep helping newbs and those entrenched in the mod community.

To those holding bs flags:
If you don't know, don't post acting like you do, because you sound like a moron.

To those who flame:
It's intolerant morons like you that don't have the decency to keep things light hearted, and ruin it for everyone.

I realize the hypocrisy of my flame, but I can only take three months of people angrily arguing instead of debating points like ADULTS.

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 04:59:00 AM »

Ok fair enough, I jumped the gun and for that I apologise. I'm sorry, but I think if you had of explained your reasoning like your thoughts yiou shared in your second post that may have prevented me reading it in the way I did.

However, I dont live in a country that uses 3:2 - I'm on 2:2 and not all displays are good at that. Some dont detect candence different to anything but 3:2. I do understand your point but I'm not American and were not all on those standards.

Lifter

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 05:25:00 AM »

No worries.  But I'd be very surprised if HD sets in the UK don't have the same capability.  I understand it's a problem with DVDs, but it shouldn't be with any HD disc or broadcast.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

To lifter,

Doesn't only 1080p60 have a positive for videogames and 1080p30, which is what is out right now not have any advantage over 1080i even for video games because they are both capped at 30 frames?

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »

The biggest advantage right now that I see of 1080p, upscaled or not, is that you can match the 360 to your tv's native resolution.  I've got a Samsung 1080P DLP rear projection.  If I can send it a 1080p signal then I minimize game lag.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »

I think 480p can go up to 60 frames a second where 1080i and 1080p30 can only go 30 frames a secon. This means for film they are exactly the same in some sense, but I don't know all the details as to why and would like clarification.

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »

Lifter U DA MAN! Everyone OWNED! tongue.gif

If you have a native 720p display unit isn't the best possible picture going to come from a native 720p source? In other words is it pointless upscaling natively 720p games and video to 1080i even if your 720p display unit will let you see a 1080i image?

CHRONIC 5000

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 12:52:00 AM »

Screw 1080p....I'm gonna Ultra High Definition 7,680 × 4,320 pixels  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

linkage----- http://en.wikipedia....efinition_Video

On a serious note. I won't go to 1080p, no matter how much better it is (or isn't???), until the sets get cheaper...much cheaper...and since I don't see that happening for a while, I'll just stick with 720p/1080i.

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Caldor @ Nov 14 2006, 02:07 PM) View Post

-Spud- - the best method is to feed the display the native resolution of the display

Cheers Caldor. I presumed as much.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »

Thanks for the info Lifter, I have been trying to nail this whole technology down for a while, when you get into some of the more technical aspects it can be pretty confusing to say the least.

So in a nutshell with a lcd plasma dlp or lcos there really is no difference in 1080p with a movie.

But with games there can be differences due to framerate constraints/issues.
Pages: 1 [2]