xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bored + Liqufication  (Read 235 times)

Thorn14

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« on: October 12, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

I made this while being bored in school, and so I don't have much time on it, but I was just wanting some feedback possible, but also some tips on what to do with the text (which I'm not very good at). And possibly brushes...

IPB Image

Wolves

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »

No.

I'm sorry, but the liquify tool is the n00biest thing in Photoshop. That's what they tell the kids in junior high to to sad.gif

w2kj

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »

I must agree alot with Areohbe....in art there is no such thing as "n00biest".  

Art comes from within the artist.  Some people will like ones work and offer praise; while others will dislike it and criticize it.

I like it...alot.  This piece looks very surreal.....it sort of mimics Salvador Dali's style in a way. smile.gif

sp3cialk

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:42:00 AM »

I'll have to agree... with Areohbe and w2kj... If you can use pretty much anything in photoshop that's not on the floating tools bar it's and make it look good it's not n00bish... I think this would be the n00bish thing you could do

IPB Image

took a header pic off of xbox.com's site for the game and added my name... bad thing is after I did it I realized I added a 1px stroke to the font... dang and I was tryin to be a noob... Wolves it seems like you are chastizing people from trying and you yourself do not even have a sig... take it easy man no one here claims to piss excellence here... that's for Ricky Bobby to do every morning..

on topic I thought it was pretty cool what Thorn14 did in his boredom.. now I think a better choice of font would have really made it shine... but that's just my opinion... and Thron14 can take it as a grain of salt because it's what the artist likes... it's not what everyone else likes otherwise we'd all confrom to being sheep... and I don't think many on these forums follow the norm... ok... going to crash a server now... peace..

saunders73

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »

it may be nooby, but if it looks good...who gives a shit tongue.gif

Zim156

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

i have to with Areohbe and w2kj and sp3cialk.....there isnt any noobish about art.....i mean come on you arnt goin to chastise Van Gogh for using water colors(consider elementry to some ppl) and have a pice turn out nice are you........

thorn14 i think it looks great i personally have used the tool....

socalx

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »

lol well i think the noob combo was called that because its pretty much impossible to die with unless you just dont know how to play the game at all. but theres not realy a noob tool in photoshop.they all just have different uses. i mean your not going to use like the blur tool to sharpen an image..

and nice sig man it looks pretty cool =]

Hazanko

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »

in my opinion, any tool that is considered a noob tool(cloud filter, liquify, etc. etc.), while they are quite simple in themselves, and CAN be considered "n00b" i believe that if you use all of the "n00b" tools in conjunction with other features in photoshop, then you can't go wrong. I'm going to have to tell you honestly, that i use the cloud filter ALOT in my pieces, if you modify the clouds with a few custom made brushes, and some more "fidgeting" then you can make simple "n00b cl0ud5" into an extrememely nice texture. In all reality, i don't even personally feel that the liquify tool is noobish, if you have a "gun and a motive",  then you can't go wrong in my opinion. Off topic slightly, the only thing i feel that's "noobly" is filter whoring, where you just apply a bunch of preset filters to create an effect; I've seen lens flare -> duplicate layer -> blur -> invert -> ripple -> emboss, filter whoring millions of times, where the people just apply millions upon millions of filters to the same settings each time, and get the same effect, and call it artistic... This is obviously just my two cents, but i don't really see anything noobish about thorn's piece whatsoever..
what i WOULD reccommend to you thorn, is applying one of my favorite simple effects to use in stock/near final product stages:
1. merge ALL layers, or create a new layer on top of all other layers, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E, and i believe this will "stamp" all layers underneath the current layer, onto that layer. if you don't use the keystroke above, then just merge all layers, and duplicate the single layer you have left.
2. judging by the size of this piece, i'd gaussian blur it by about 3-4.
3. press CTRL+U(or if this doesn't work, then find the brightness/contrast modifiier) and up the brightness to around 40, depending on how much "glow" you want on the piece, you can also up the saturation a bit also(to intensify the colors).
4. set this layer on blending mode "overlay"

this should add a very nice glow to the entire piece, it'll add more depth, and add a much more "warm" feel to the piece. here is an example of what it should look like(the image's instructions are a bit off, follow the instructions above)
IPB Image

try this, and for a final note: i think the piece looks very nice, it has a cool "mexican food touch" to it, just like MD said happy.gif

EDIT: sorry for the ton long post.

Thorn14

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

Thanks for all the critique be it positive or negative. I am somewhat new to photoshop, but I do know what feel I wanted. It started out as a stick with thorns on it, and I turned it into something that looked interesting with red thorns instead of basic green ones, and made it so it sorta looks like a dragon with an eye, and is abstract. I'll try that advice tommorrow, because I'm busy tonight, but thanks, and also, I am in high school photoshop. Als, about nooby tools....I've seen a few sigs in here that can use only the effect of everything black and white with a main theme color, and still look good. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

bumr055

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »

i read areohbes first post and i agree.

you can look at an awsome drawing or somthing look somwhere and say "omg n000b everyone can draw a line. why would you put a line? lines are for n00bs" biggrin.gif

gasclown

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »

noobish if done badly yeah...

but, go tell the awesome people over at worth1000 its a noob tool. then go tell creators of, say, stuff like the 'freak' filmclip by LFO. if you watched television for a day or flip through just about any print magazine you would see its use by non-noobs.

the only noob tool i can think of in PS would be the magic wand (simply because if you can draw paths you never use it).

Thorn14

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »

IPB Image

Theres what I've done as your directions and it worked fairly well by your specifications except the gaussian blur I had at 1.5 because anymore really lost most of it's sharpness which I liked, otherwise thank you.

Since we have a slight discussion on noob tools, wouldn't a pencil be considered a noob tool? Everyone has access to it and it's easy to master... yes the pencil is a noob tool and great works absolutely CANNOT be made out of pencil...  biggrin.gif

Hazanko

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »

ACTUALLY... i use the pencil tool quite often for vectorized-looking pieces, or pixel art. the brush is no substitute for the pencil in some cases, since the pencil is the only true "drawing" tool in photoshop that doesn't use anti-aliasing by default. In all truthfulness, ALL tools can be considered a "noob tool" until you have truly learned the function of the tool, and know it's features by heart.

Thorn14

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

Um, hazanko, I was trying to make a joke but I forgot that the pencil is a tool in photoshop too, i meant the real life pencil....but oh well. Oh, my school has the drawing pads so I can almost draw effectively on the pad.

Thorn14

• Archived User
Bored + Liqufication
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »

No, I meant it as sarcasm originally, thinking of how DaVinci had sketchbooks of artwork, done in that medium... as an example that a simple tool can be used effectively. Sorry for all the confusion, I won't attempt jokes...  sad.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3