xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Can Someone Help Me Out?  (Read 213 times)

throwingks

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »

^^^
yes it is

LuridSpectre

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »

JD1, it actually is illegal, like throwingks said, to get it from your brother in graphics design school.

Even if he bought another copy for you, his license is through the school and only he has the legal right to use it.  If you install it on your computer, he is in breach of contract and you are aiding him.

Just do the right thing and use the trial version until you have the money to buy the full version, or use the Gimp.

The*galloping*zebra

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »

My school are allowed to give out copies of programs to students.

Its where I get most my programs from..

lostboyz

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »

same here, the only thing on the contract we sign is that we cant copy it and distribute it

CattyKid

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

LostBoyz and Zebra, are you in college or high school?

lostboyz

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »

im in college

CattyKid

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Feb 23 2006, 05:54 PM) View Post

im in college

That's what I thought.
I can't imagine a High School giving out free copies of a program to students, especially Photoshop.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »

No where did he say his brother got it at a student discount. I bought apps while I was in college that I needed for classes and didn't get any better rate then any other human on the face of this Earth, (Aside from going to Circuit City, Bect Buy AND the Campus store). I can't imagine how it would be in any way illegal for me to give these apps or sell them to anyone, student, hobo, dwarf, etc. That being said I do have a few "student versions", but every one of them has a sevete restriction over the norml version; IE you can't save, can't save in color, Every word in your document will be mispelled, or something else odd to that effect. While I can see it being illegal for any nonstudent to buy them from me, who would want a copy of MS Word that wont allowyou to print the letter "A"?

CattyKid

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Feb 24 2006, 12:34 AM) View Post

No where did he say his brother got it at a student discount. I bought apps while I was in college that I needed for classes and didn't get any better rate then any other human on the face of this Earth, (Aside from going to Circuit City, Bect Buy AND the Campus store). I can't imagine how it would be in any way illegal for me to give these apps or sell them to anyone, student, hobo, dwarf, etc. That being said I do have a few "student versions", but every one of them has a sevete restriction over the norml version; IE you can't save, can't save in color, Every word in your document will be mispelled, or something else odd to that effect. While I can see it being illegal for any nonstudent to buy them from me, who would want a copy of MS Word that wont allowyou to print the letter "A"?

Well, you're buying the license to install it on ONE computer.  So, if it is installed on two, it would be a violation (I would assume).
That "college version" thing is pretty dumb.  Are those restrictions you mentioned actually true?  Why would they give you an MS Word (to try out?) that can't print "A" or that mispells words?

LuridSpectre

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Feb 24 2006, 03:31 PM) View Post

Well, you're buying the license to install it on ONE computer.  So, if it is installed on two, it would be a violation (I would assume).

Correct.

Also, yes, colleges give insane discounts on software, depending on which one you're going to.  I go to Ohio State, and we get MS Windows XP Pro for $13.

But this is one license.

If the data from the CD exists on another medium besides the CD itself and my computer's hard drive and is activated with my key, I am in violation of copyright.

Licenses differ for software.  Always read your license agreements.

Though they differ, I know of NONE that allow you to make a copy of the software and let someone else use it on another computer except for GPL/GNU. (Though I'm sure there's others, but only open source.)

lostboyz

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

well we have a few different deals, our bookstore sells student versions of programs for at least 75% off.

or my department (electrical engineering) has a great deal of extra licenses so they sell them to students for usually $10 or so. programs like XP pro, and circuit editing/simulating software

awal

• Archived User
Can Someone Help Me Out?
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »

This is *kind of* a repost, meaning that the link was mentioned in a post, but the thread itself was different. See for yourself, and give me a thumbs down if you wish! IPB Image http://forums.slickd....light=msdn  aa

I thought this would be helpful for some. You may know about this already, but MS offers free software for students for download, or some can be delivered on a MS Certified disc. There are many programs to choose from (not Office though, except Access), and they are completely free (unless you want it on a disc, but the price is cheap)!!

The main page about msndaa is here:

http://msdn.MS.com/academic/

To search if your school is on the list, click here:

http://www.msdnaa.ne...olSearch.aspx?/

*Edit*  It appears some schools that are listed don't have free software, but still really cheap.

Pages: 1 2 [3]