xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: First Car Run Around Ideas?  (Read 971 times)

Dano2k0

• Archived User
First Car Run Around Ideas?
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »

You very well could have been mate, can't remember everywhere ive been lately.

Did car look same as in pictures youve seen last? or different? Over the last few days its had quite some changes..

I'll snap some new pics and post them up in my thread so you can keep a look out for me.

You don't live a world away from me anyway i believe mate, i'm only over in Barnsley lol.

What car you driving mate? i'll have to keep a look out for you.

Cheers beerchug.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Nov 27 2008, 05:26 PM) View Post

You very well could have been mate, can't remember everywhere ive been lately.

Did car look same as in pictures youve seen last? or different? Over the last few days its had quite some changes..

I'll snap some new pics and post them up in my thread so you can keep a look out for me.

You don't live a world away from me anyway i believe mate, i'm only over in Barnsley lol.

What car you driving mate? i'll have to keep a look out for you.

Cheers beerchug.gif

Car looked same as pics. looked great to be honest.
 I am currently ina company vehicle. 08 reg panther black Ford Focus. looks like a drug dealers car with the privacy glass and big alloys. Not sure why the company went for these, but it is a nice car.
 I am in Barnsley tomorrow morning working.

Dano2k0

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »

Sounds like your in a nice car at the moment, might see you around in it some time, i'll keep a look out for ya. You should get us some pics up, be nice to see what shes looking like.

Where abouts in Barnsley you at?

I would have said i may very well see you around, but i'm not going to be there for another week or two (as you'll see in the new pics, they aren't on my drive lol)

Ive got some new pics up in my thread, she'll stand out alot more now so chances are you'll see me around some time.

Cheers beerchug.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »

5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 98,617 miles, Metallic Blue, MOT-12-2009, 5 Owners. PAS, Body coloured bumpers, Central locking, Drivers airbag, Folding rear seats, Child locks, Front fog lights, Electric windows, Cloth upholstery, Front head restraints, Full size spare wheel, Sunroof, Immobiliser, Radio/Cassette, Rear wiper, Towbar. Insurance Group:5E, Heated indoor show room, cars are MOT'd and ready to drive away. Out of hours appointments available, £990

It's £874.10 (same with or without pass plus) to insure, I wouldn't buy that particular car the picture of the inside looks rather rusty but I think the model is 16V. I wouldn't buy a car with 5 owners perhaps 2-3 max. The Zetec model really does look nice. And I'd find one with less miles on the clock.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Dec 8 2008, 05:36 PM) View Post

It's £874.10 (same with or without pass plus) to insure, I wouldn't buy that particular car the picture of the inside looks rather rusty but I think the model is 16V. I wouldn't buy a car with 5 owners perhaps 2-3 max. The Zetec model really does look nice. And I'd find one with less miles on the clock.

got a link to the ad?

any perticular reason your worried about mileage or amount of previous owners?

98k very average mileage for a fiesta that age.

don't know where your from mate but

http://www.pistonhea...ales/798400.htm (factory alloys, doesnt increase insurance)

http://www.pistonhea...ales/757286.htm

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Dec 12 2008, 03:43 PM) View Post

got a link to the ad?

any perticular reason your worried about mileage or amount of previous owners?

98k very average mileage for a fiesta that age.

don't know where your from mate but

http://www.pistonhea...ales/798400.htm (factory alloys, doesnt increase insurance)

http://www.pistonhea...ales/757286.htm

Ive seen older cars with 1 lady owners and less mileage, thats why. Well every time i added alloys it seemed to increase my insurance, maybe they wern't stock. I have a link to the add, but it shows my Post Code that's why I don't post it on here.

Dano2k0

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »

Number of owners i wouldn't worry about, if you go and view the car, and preferably take someone reasonably mechanically minded, you should be fine.

Number of owners, within reason of course = nothing.

Milleage, i personally wouldn't look at an older car and go for minimum mileage for a few reasons, number one being chances are its been tampered with, on new cars, very very easy to do, no one would ever know any different if they are carefull enough for MOT time etc, which is hardly difficult.

Secondly, such little movement on an old car can cause more rust than you think, leaving a car stood not moving is a well known fact to cause body / chassy rot, i'd be looking into this a little more and paying very good attention to the under side.

Next, a little old lady owned the car and hardly went anywhere in it other than to the local shop every few days, on such an old car i'd be worried, little movement isn't great, then of course you have the fact the engine will never have run in properly if they have owned it pretty much from new.

Short journeys do far more wear on an engine than a nice long motorway journey. As the engine runs rich every time the engine starts, it causes 'bore wash' which basically the petrol washes the oil from the bores within the engine, causing little oil to lube the bores, which can cause alot of wear. As much as little miles looks good to some, you have to think of such things, on a newer car if you intend running half reasonable journeys other than what would be equivelant to a 5min walk, then you'll not be too bad as it will somewhat even itself out.

Lastly another thing to really consider, if the miles are little for its year, would it never make you consider how reliable its actually been? if its been unreliable and broke down often, some people can't afford to fix straight away hence the low miles, so will have spent most its life stood doing nothing, there are some cars out there that will break down every other week, some cars will continue to run fine forever..

Just some points to consider.

Oh and the car you posted is the MK4 fiesta, i personally liked the MK5 much better, its a cracking little car for a first car, the 1.25 zetec model is quite nippy, low insurance / tax, most models come with factory fitted alloys, aircon etc etc.

If the alloys are factory fitted, no point in even filling in any insurance saying 'it has alloys' cause they'll be thinking aftermarket, if it came with them standard on the model, then it shouldn't be an issue, the insurance company should already know the details of that model, and in the event of an insurance claim, the company that values the car wouldn't knock you for the alloys as they were standard, aftermarket alloys of course are another matter.

With car prices dropping so much over recent times, you really do get very good value for money at the moment.

Its like ive said all along, the more you can spend, chances are the more you will most deffinatly benefit.

When you were looking at the likes of the old MK3 fiesta, which i do admit, some models i think are great, they are terrible for rust and rot, unless you can find a perfect example, i'd stay clear.

If you can spend somewhere in the region of £1000 on a car and are interested in a fiesta, look out for a nice little MK5, you can get one with a less engine should you wish, but the 1.25 aint at all bad, worth looking into.

Anyway, don't worry about number of previous owners within reason, and don't worry too much about how many miles its done, if its within reason for its year then don't worry.

Of course if your looking at a newer car thats done alot of miles, this should affect the price a good ammount, but i personally wouldn't worry as newer high mileage cars tend to have done all there miles on the motorway which basically = no big deal, it will have been well warmed through every journey and the engine will have been well lubed at the time, which in turn = very little wear.

Infact, to tell you the truth, ive known my car since it was new, i was very lucky to have got it as i did, its done some miles though, over 160 thousand miles, it still runs spot on every day and to be honest, drives and looks like its done about 30 thousand, no one ever believes how many its done, for a 2001 car its in cracking condition inside and out.

Oh and to top that off, its never had anything much done to it, just general services etc, probably getting time for valve guide oil seals done and valves maybe re-grinding back into the head to allow them to seat a little better, but ive killed my engine everywhere cause i'm not bothered about it as the conversion is happening soon, it just keeps going its in great order to date, no smoke, rattles or anything it shouldn't be doing.

Sorry got a little carried away, but thought it would give you some stuff to think about..

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »

Hey all, I found another car, might go and have a look this week it's not to far from me. I had to cancel my driving test because I wasn't quite ready, had a bit of a glitch at roundabouts (wasn't looking right long enough) but hopefully it will make me a safer driver everything else is pretty much spot on at the moment going to take it early feb I think when I got some uni deadlines out of the way.

IPB Image

2000 W Reg VAUXHALL Corsa 1.0 12v Club

*  87,000 miles
    * Manual
    * Blue
    * Petrol
    * Hatchback
    * 973 cc 12V

3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 87,000 miles, Metallic Blue. Adjustable seats, Central locking, Driver airbag, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Power assisted steering, Radio/CD. Insurance Group:1, Ideal first car with low insurance cost, Looks and drives superb. Please contact us for any further details, All usual dealer facilities, open 7 days. £1,495

£794 a year to insure, not bad year 2000 as well smile.gif. I do rather like it, wonder if I can barter it to £1,200? I know you don't like corsa's Grim D but it's only a first car tongue.gif.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »

ph34r.gif

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »

Dang man. How long does it take to get your license over there? laugh.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2009, 05:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(commandersafi @ Jan 13 2009, 03:45 AM) View Post

A long time, I've had 36 lessons so far, and spent probably nearly £700 on lessons, national average to pass is 45, a lot of emphasis is on safety here. You have to do everything in the correct procedure or you fail the test. I'm getting there slowly but surely for sure. Think I'm going to see the car today, hopefully my mate can test drive it for me cool.gif but not sure I'm gonna get it don't wanna rush into anything.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(commandersafi @ Jan 13 2009, 03:45 AM) View Post

depends on how much you can commit, both with finances and time. Any time after your 17th birthday you may sit the test. most people only have time/money for one or two lessons a week so it does take a while.

took me 30 lessons and 4 months to get mine.

around £540 in lessons, and that was with discount for buying in blocks of 10.

and i also didnt have the luxury of being insured on anything so i could get out driving between lessons sad.gif

passed everything first time though biggrin.gif

Dano2k0

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »

Nice looking little corsa, if its at a garage and your going to haggle, you might aswell do it right, offer a grand and see what figgure they come back with.

If your a cash buyer on a first time car, they'll love you when you walk through the door anyway, with the face car prices have dropped some and cars haven't been selling as per usual recently, puts you in a good position.

I guess you never know what figgure they'll come back with, but i'm sure what ever they say you can take them down further.

To be honest ive always liked the Corsa's my brothers Corsa with C20XE engine on throttle boddies is unbelievable at the best of times to be honest, hes ate quite some cars in that and upset alot of people. He had an Audio RS4 not that long back, Subaru NR1, i'm sure Grim will get the picture  happy.gif

Thats all you need to do bucko, Corsa then either C20XE or C20LET conversion and you'll be laughing.

In all honesty though, i doubt insurance would be much more on something like a 1.2 corsa, the 1.0 3 cylinder engine is unbelievably slow, but still for a first car if your not fussed about speed would be excellent.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »

Well I looked at the Corsa, and well as they say autotrader pictures can be very deceiving. Didn't like all the scratches (and crap paint redo on the scratches it was awful) and a few knocks on the bumper. Also it needed something replaceing in the engine, he said it come under mot but it didn't convince me and this was before he started it. My mate test drived it and it had a weird clutch feel aprently, and I didn't like the exhaust sound when we started of lol I know it can all be replaced but I don't wanna put my money down for a tip basicailly so I walked away lol.

However we went to another garage near by and found a really nice ford fiesta finease, looked in mint condition and the engine was perfect, no scratches etc etc but I've been told £2000 is a bit expensive for a T reg car. It was a 1.3 though it really did look nice.

Anyway I think next week I'm gonna go car hunting after making a good list, really want to buy one tongue.gif least I have made a start looking at them in the flesh.

The*galloping*zebra

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »

I got a Fiesta MK4 1.3 for my first car, very easy to drive!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6